Formula 1 - 2018 Season

I appreciate the photography tips. Was it the PL filter, slow shutter speed, or both that yielded the intense color saturation?
If you wanted crystal-sharp images you should have been photographing the Williams as they'd be going so much slower than everyone else. :cry:
And it's the last year they'll have have nice Martini scheme, so it's a win-win (for photographers). :D

Last edited:
I appreciate the photography tips. Was it the PL filter, slow shutter speed, or both that yielded the intense color saturation?

The biggest contributor is surely the PL filter, that allows you to get much better saturated colours from the raw shots. Then the shots are also a bit underexposed since the cars reflected quite a bit of light and it's easy to blow out details if you 'expose for the darker landscape'. So I made sure I got the cars right. :)

So the Tetra Pak owner of Sauber doesn't want to pay a lot for Ericsson to drive and instead probably get an engine discount from Ferrari by taking on Giovinazzi. He was a bit Giovicrashi when he last raced in F1. I expect Kimi to crush him.

_103626658_f1_driver_movement_v6.png

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45639663

Mercedes unbeatable in qualifying in Russia.
More interesting was the fact that every car that drove in Q2 made it to Q3, as Red Bull, Renault and Toro Rosso didn't drive at all. I can understand Red Bull & Toro Rosso not driving due penalties they're getting, but Renault didn't have even penalties to worry about

More interesting was the fact that every car that drove in Q2 made it to Q3, as Red Bull, Renault and Toro Rosso didn't drive at all. I can understand Red Bull & Toro Rosso not driving due penalties they're getting, but Renault didn't have even penalties to worry about
In Singapore there was a particular disadvantage starting in the lower top 10 and on the hypersoft, and apparently the tyre usage in Sochi is similar, so Renault wanted to have the tyre choice and they were guaranteed p11 and p12 because of the penalties the other ones in out in Q2 will have to take.

In Singapore there was a particular disadvantage starting in the lower top 10 and on the hypersoft, and apparently the tyre usage in Sochi is similar, so Renault wanted to have the tyre choice and they were guaranteed p11 and p12 because of the penalties the other ones in out in Q2 will have to take.
And it didn't work.

Mercedes remains untouchable in Sochi.

Jolyon Palmer column: Why Mercedes were right to use team orders
The reality of F1 is that it is a team sport. The constructors' championship might define the prize money the teams receive, but the drivers' championship matters hugely to them as well. It is what fundamentally motivates the stars of the sport - drivers aren't bothered by a constructors' championship; they are racing for themselves, to win titles.

The reality is that Bottas can't be champion this year and Hamilton can. And that's why Sunday unfolded the way it did.

Drivers only really end up with 'number two' status when they can no longer realistically fight for the title and their team-mate can.

Ultimately, Bottas is in this situation because, while he was very strong in Russia, he has been too far off Hamilton over the summer races and has dropped more than 100 points behind.

His predecessor Nico Rosberg never had a team orders debacle with Lewis Hamilton because he was generally able to maintain the fight with his team-mate over the course of the year. And on the occasion he dropped away, in 2015, Ferrari weren't in a strong position to mount any sort of proper challenge like they are this year.

That's what Bottas has to aim for next year, when he will start from scratch and have another fair crack at it.
In years to come, nobody will care too much about who won the 2018 constructors' championship. They will only look at who won the drivers' championship. And that is why Mercedes were right to do what they did.

Hamilton, as a result of having three more wins than Vettel, has a two-race cushion in the championship.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45716086

Reactions: cjo
I don't understand why that even needs explaining. It wasn't the best for the show but otherwise made total sense.

Anyway Hamilton has all but won the WDC if you ask me. Ferrari and Vettel refused to take the chances they had with a faster car and now it looks like the Merc is quicker again I don't see much chance for Ferrari to mount a real attack.

Jolyon Palmer column: Why Mercedes were right to use team orders

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45716086

I know that this is standard F1 and I actually don't mind at all. F1 has never been about the sports itself, but about money, the glamour and the entertainment. This goes back to Senna, Prost, Schumacher and all the other great F1 stars :)

At the same time I am still amused by how stupid these arguments are: we argue team order is ok because it is a team sport after all; we argue that team championship is not so important, because no one cares about the teams (except the Italians); we celebrate the skill of the drivers and the glory of the driver championship; we have no problems when those glory drivers get points for free because of team order, getting points they do not earn because of skill and good sports but because, skewing with this the oh-so important and glory drivers championship.

Standard F1 sport, nothing new :)

Hamilton set his pole lap in the first part of the final qualifying session while Ferrari missed an opportunity to run in the dry as a result of team and driver errors.
They erroneously sent the drivers out on treaded tyres in the dry at the start, and Vettel failed to get in a time after switching to dry-weather 'slick' tyres.
Verstappen perhaps summed up the result of this dire day for Ferrari.
Asked whether he would want to interfere in the title battle during the race, he said: "Is it still a battle?"

_103737006_vettel.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45769077

Meanwhile I watched the MotoGP race. Just superior entertainment in every way. You should take a look.

The US grand prix was a good race. Let's not have any more free practice on fridays.

I didn't understand Mercedes strategy not to bring Hamilton in for new tires when he had such a large lead ... even the race commentators were surprised.
Will be interesting what Mercedes has to say the next few days.

I didn't understand Mercedes strategy not to bring Hamilton in for new tires when he had such a large lead ... even the race commentators were surprised.
Will be interesting what Mercedes has to say the next few days.
He was never in big enough lead to get back to 1st place from pits, so they gambled on getting as fresh tyres for the end as possible for big push.
Even if he pitted earlier I doubt he would have gotten ahead of Räikkönen, since there was no real overtaking chances even against arguably slower car until Verstappen made a mistake, let alone against Ferrari

The timing of the pitstop was bad. Mercedes' allocation of dry-weather tyres was also really bad. For his last stint, Hamilton had the option of soft and .... soft.

Had he had a set of super softs he would have won. Alas he didn't and we got the best race this season.

Personally, really happy for Kimi.

Cheers

Back