PlayStation classic 99 dollars (3rd December 2018)

Calling it now, due to 3d not aging as well as 2d, wont sell as well as the nintendo things, even though PS1 greatly outsold NES/SNES

There's a lot of other factors at play.

NES and SNES consoles and games are harder to find and more expensive. The minis are also considerably cheaper than the PS1.

I'm sure there are others reasons not mentioned.

One thing though, if this turns out to be hackable and quite powerful, it might become a great emulator.

I think a Saturn mini will be more interesting for gamers, since the Saturn hasn't been emulated properly yet, and working ones are rarer, not to mention back catalogue support over newer generations.

I keep hearing this all the time, but I just don't get it, it's certainly not what I've experienced when it comes to Saturn emulation. I used to play Saturn games on SSF back in 2007-2008 on a Pentium 4 2.8GHz and then later on a Core2Duo 6550 and most of the stuff ran great, even 3D games.
SSF stopped updating for a while, but it came back strong and made a few new releases. Last one came out last year, hopefully we'll see more in the near future. Yabause is also very advanced these days and can play a lot of stuff that perhaps don't run as well on SSF.

Am I missing something? I definitely remember playing a lot of 3D games, Fighting Vipers, Virtua Fighter 2, NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon Saga and even Burning Rangers. The only titles I remember not running at all were Rayman, Fifa 98 which I believe crashed before the match begun and maybe Croc? I'm not even sure on that last one.

Tbh, I assumed that the state of Saturn emulation was rather poor in comparison to others, but apparently it's made a lot of strides recently in regards to compability, even if the system requirements are steep.

Maybe though, there's something to be said though for playing games on something that actually superficially resembles the hardware of the day, right down to lack of analogue sticks.

Actually, in this case, Sony was contracted to make parts for the NES Mini, but Nintendo swapped supplier at the last minute and didn't tell Sony, so they said, "screw you, we'll make our own."
:yep2:

LOL

Question is will the system be purely emulating the PSX experience, or will there be options for fixing render precision, texture perspective correction, texture interpolation, as well as enhancements like higher render res and AF? A good portion of PSX games actually look close to Dreamcast quality when fixed using GTE hacks on ePSXE. Shame it doesn't emulate the original Dual-Shock either.

These retro mini consoles leverage nostalgia for sure, but they are pretty neat just the same. You of course have your die hard collectors itching to purchase these things, but there is also a massive number of people who pleased videogames at one time or another and eventually lost interest. PlayStation sold a 100 million units, I am sure there are tons of people who lost interest in games over the years, but will impulse buy one of these. The manufacturing quality looks nice, doesn't have a cheap look to it at all. It wont be for everybody, but Sony should have little trouble selling 3-5 million of these this Christmas.

I think the irony with these things is that Nintendo and Sony have both tried to come down hard on emulators and roms in the past, now they are both making lots of money on emulation, and no damage has been done to potential leverage of old ip's. If anything emulation increased interest in older titles.

irony yes, Sony condemns piracy and emulation but uses an emulator from the scene for their PS Mini. They have no shame. For the emuplayers.

https://kotaku.com/playstation-classic-plays-fine-but-it-s-a-bare-bones-e-1830294616

open-source PlayStation emulator PCSX ReARMed

I wouldn't condone unauthorized IPs either. Most emulation roms or ISOs aren't legally owned. Most of the rom/ISO sites (the major ones) are illegally ripping off developers, publishers, and everyone else involved in creating those wares/IPs. Sony using emulation isn't nothing new... and software/hardware emulation didn't start within the gaming community as well.

irony yes, Sony condemns piracy and emulation but uses an emulator from the scene for their PS Mini. They have no shame. For the emuplayers.

Most people in the industry condemn piracy but in terms of going after commercial emulators (remember Bleem!), when it comes to patents and IP you have to be seen to defend protected properties that you own otherwise you weaken the case for future action

irony yes, Sony condemns piracy and emulation but uses an emulator from the scene for their PS Mini. They have no shame.
Did they licence it? Emulators aren't illegal. Playing illegally ripped games, or using emulators with a copyright violating copy of the OS is an entirely different ballgame to an IP owner using a 3rd party to develop an emulator.

PCSX is GPL2.0. Sony has followed the rules about disclosure and publishing code. That's why we even know. Not sure how a 20 year old lawsuit against a commercial entity is relevant.

That is a pretty big assumption and Sony is legally required to provide the actual source code used in the actual device to any customer.

Is this a GNU GPL requirement?

Back