Forza Horizon 4 [XO, XBSX|S, XPA]

FH4 seems to have better IQ, better foliage and better texture though.
It's still missing volumetric clouds and screen space reflections on cars, but the rest of the presentation is impressive.
Great lighting too i think.

Both FH3 and especially FH4 are overall better and way more consistent, I won't argue against that. It's just that when Driveclub peaks there's nothing that compares against it, playing without HUD, only the sound of the car, overcast weather, there's just nothing like it.

There's a clear difference between this pic : https://abload.de/img/bd485422-18d0-490c-89bkei6.png

And this one : https://i.imgur.com/QmvgHKc.png

So the photomode improves the graphics.

Still the most impressive racing game in my opinion.

Photomode does nothing regarding what you see in those pics. PC is bugged with LOD/AF as discussed in that thread. All photomode does is supersample from a higher res nothing else. Asset quality and such remain the same on X and pc highest settings they use LOD0 for player cars

The in game lighting, image quality, motion blur and grass LOD are nothing like in that photomode shot and that's even on 4k Ultra settings on the PC. Forza Horizon, GT and Forza main line's photomode should not be taken remotely close to be representative of ingame graphics imo.

The in game lighting, image quality, motion blur and grass LOD are nothing like in that photomode shot and that's even on 4k Ultra settings on the PC. Forza Horizon, GT and Forza main line's photomode should not be taken remotely close to be representative of ingame graphics imo.

Um yes it is it's ingame. The pc is bugged which is why that pic of the pc has terrible AF/LOD issues. Has been discussed and shown in the thread. I'm playing it right now and matches what you see from the X pic on my X. Right now the demo is causing the pc to have a bugged AF/LOD no matter if you set it to ultra settings.

Just did a play through on my X. All ingame downsampled onto 1080p. I've switched between photomode and ingame and I didn't see any difference in lod/af. Also went to same area as the pc and noticed better texture/lod. PC is bugged in demo

VqotKx1.jpg

JBUYcmv.jpg

yb8ZUbG.jpg

yllcwPx.jpg

IIKy2ky.jpg

game is pretty incredible in 4K + HDR. Comparing and contrasting the two modes, I'll stick with 4K HDR.

this game needs some ray tracing.. cough cough

It looks great, but I can't decide if I gonna run the game at 30FPS@4K or 60FPS@1080p on my Xbox One X. Too bad it's not 60FPS@1440p. 1/4 of the resolution to double the framerate, ugh.

The demo on the X1X is stunning. HDR and lighting is something they nailed. Probably the best example of HDR I've seen.

On my TV, i much prefer to the 4k/30fps vs 1080p/60fps.

Last edited:
It looks great, but I can't decide if I gonna run the game at 30FPS@4K or 60FPS@1080p on my Xbox One X. Too bad it's not 60FPS@1440p. 1/4 of the resolution to double the framerate, ugh.
Apparently they are considering dynamic resolution for a potential future update, but who knows. It does seem like they are being extremely conservative while axeing the SSAO & night time dynamic headlight shadows and paring back motion blur for performance mode, which I think would make a bigger difference to overall perception instead of extra resolution. That said, the trade-off may not be clear cut if they're cutting various post-processing because it's an extra set of passes in the chain.

I'd wonder if they shouldn't try an anamorphic dynamic resolution ala WipeOut HD since games like these would benefit more from higher vertical resolution due to the landscape.

Bought the ultimate edition this time because I think I've missed out on FH3 DLC (couldn't be bothered to buy all the different stuff for the game individually :p) and I'm really enjoying the game so far. FH3 was one my favorite games in 2016/2017 and this doesn't disappoint at all. 4K maxed + 2x MSAA is a 60 lock and a much needed improvement over launch FH3 on PC :yes:

Last edited:
Back