The Insomniac Spiderman [PS4]

The post processing is really good in this game. The game looks best with the default settings in my opinion. Yeah there's CA, but Insomniacs knows how to use it.

Finished it today. Great game. I still prefer to the more manual-combat mechanics of Infamous over both Spider-Man and Batman but it's the first of this type of game that I've ever finished. Also, it had the best closing credits I've seen in any game. :yes:

Just clocked it, game was amazing from start to finish and especially the ending which made me teared up a little, not since TLOU has any game got me do it. The boss battles were some of the most stunning and epic I've seen, the actions literally made me feel like watching a live movie. And my my the graphics just kept ramping up, the lighting and material really took my breath away often times. I only wished the game was longer and please have a sequel ready for PS5! Also please let the floodgate of Marvel Games Universe open right as of now:)! Again damn the ending was powerful.
1xsejy.png

2pwf2x.jpg

3loffw.png

I finished last night. Wow, the game gets better and better as it builds to the end. Very deep story with depth and character. I must say the end of act 2 I thought was the end. I felt they were going to leave the rest until a sequel, but nope, they went for another 6-8 hours and completed the whole thing. I was very impressed. Now I'm working on the platinum trophy.

Just finished it! Excellent ending for an excellent game.

Lots of threads are left open for a sequel, can't wait for it. Now starts an enjoyable grind toward platinum. :)

Well, it's just busywork.

BTW, did I made a mistake last night when I used all my points on gadgets? I see now that they are not connected with any trophy. I could have saved those points on unlocking suits.

Well, it's just busywork.

BTW, did I made a mistake last night when I used all my points on gadgets? I see now that they are not connected with any trophy. I could have saved those points on unlocking suits.

Basically, yes. I did that too but stopped before maxing out the gadgets. Some of the challenges are hell, and thank god I didn’t spend all the challenge tokens on gadgets as I’m pretty sure I’d have had to somehow get Ultimate on some of them, which I found impossible, still to this day. Especially the Drone and a couple of the Bomb challenges.

I hope I didn't screw my platinum trophy over. I have two more district to clear and I'll see what I have left. I have all the suits, but I think there is something else I need and I hope I have the currency.

Edit: Got the plat!

Last edited:
I hope I didn't screw my platinum trophy over. I have two more district to clear and I'll see what I have left. I have all the suits, but I think there is something else I need and I hope I have the currency.

If you have all the suits them you’ll be fine. There’s no trophy for maxing out gadgets and extras. I assume you have all the skills too as they only require XP.
The only kinda difficult thing is getting Spectacular on one of each type of challenge (just once for each type). I got Ultimate on a few. Clearing out the districts only requires that you complete all bases and challenges regardless of how well you do them. And finish up the crimes which is easy, you just have to swing around until they pop up.

https://streamable.com/vttwg

Best NPC animation ever ?

I really like the game. My only real complain so far are some story elements about Miles.
The first time I switched to the video I thought it was real footage. wow !

I still havent bought it, a massive fan of insomniac fun I am but life is giving me time for only one game and that slot went to Destiny 2 forsaken. I so want to play this cos I know Insomniac just knows how to make fun games.....huh....someday !

Game finished. It's a very good game with some truly spectacular moments. Also, the story is really engaging despite some flaws.

I don't know if it's because i know the Spiderman universe a bit, but this is one of those games where i really wanted to know the end of the story.

Its like an old Far Cry or AC game from which Ubisoft wants to get away ("Ubisoft formula"). Climbing up towers in every area of the city to unlock collectibles which have to be collected with the help of the minimap. Then come blunt tasks like hitting enemies or swinging through target objects. It is a checklist game where the grind is also bound to character progress. I'm not saying that it's bad, I'm just wondering that it's hardly criticized while that's often the case from Ubisoft games.

Its like an old Far Cry or AC game from which Ubisoft wants to get away ("Ubisoft formula"). Climbing up towers in every area of the city to unlock collectibles which have to be collected with the help of the minimap. Then come blunt tasks like hitting enemies or swinging through target objects. It is a checklist game where the grind is also bound to character progress. I'm not saying that it's bad, I'm just wondering that it's hardly criticized while that's often the case from Ubisoft games.

Spider-Man shares many mechanics attributed to older Ubisoft open world games (this was the chief criticism levied by reviewers) but the difference is that unlike Ubisoft games, you can unlock towers incredibly quickly. And outside of the main story, it also gives you an early purpose in the game to a) get around and get a feel for the different areas of the city and b) get some time in perfecting your traversal skills because swinging like a pro is a skill that is required for some of the missions.

That aside, I can't recall any missions that required me to grind backpacks, bases, crimes or photography to progress. Their purpose seems limited to upgrading gadgets and boosting XP for improving skills but seem to be a take-it-or-leave-it deal.

Where is the grind?

Their purpose seems limited to upgrading gadgets and boosting XP for improving skills but seem to be a take-it-or-leave-it deal.

Where is the grind?
Isn't that what grind is? Having to do little, easy tasks to level up. You only get the full experience of all the upgrades if you do these tasks - you don't get the full experience if you just follow the main story.

Isn't that what grind is? Having to do little, easy tasks to level up. You only get the full experience of all the upgrades if you do these tasks - you don't get the full experience if you just follow the main story.

Most define grind as the need to undertake repetitive tasks in order to progress the game, generally you are grinding XP (experience points).

But the gadgets and suits are optional, no? The ones you need are given to you and after that there is no need to upgrade at all unless you like using it. E.g. I used the trip-mine-web gadget the one time it was introduced and never again - in part because it's a great tactical stealth weapon in a game where stealth is only a viable option in very specific instances; story missions where lack of stealth is a failure condition and the first wave of clearing a base. Otherwise, stealth isn't a thing, which is a shame.

You can complete, and thoroughly enjoy, Spider-Man without any grind as far as I can tell. I mean, do need to level up? Do any of the main missions rely on you being a certain level?

If not then there is no grind. If you want more XP or tokens to get a suit or upgrade a gadget then that's not grinding, that's putting in the work for a reward. :yep2:

I've always associated grind with getting unlocks in a tedious, crappy way. eg. That dumb sword or whatever in FFX that required dodging lightning a 100 times.

In fact, your link says as much...
Grinding refers to the playing time spent doing repetitive tasks within a game to unlock a particular game item...

In fact, your link says as much...

Grinding refers to the playing time spent doing repetitive tasks within a game to unlock a particular game item...
That particular definition in full reads:
Grinding refers to the playing time spent doing repetitive tasks within a game to unlock a particular game item or to build the experience needed to progress smoothly through the game.

And this is the point. If there is no need to grind then the complaint about grinding is unfounded. However if you want a particular item in a game that isn't necessary (or allows 'smooth progress') then this is the player's choice to invest in pursuing that item.

For me, these are very different things. By the definition of 'wanting' something definition surely the entirely of pretty much every game is a grind? It's having too versus wanting too.

Incidentally, with the exception of the backpacks and landmarks I did few of the other side activities in Spider-Man and the game threw enough XP out to level up a ton. I did a bunch of bases not because I wanted XP or base tokens but because the combat is just amazingly satisfying. :yes: I only engaged in crimes because, again, spider-combat! Research stations? Pass. Mini-games? Pass. Pigeons? Pass.

Back