PlayStation classic 99 dollars (3rd December 2018)

Imagine if PS4 had as well versed a BC library and you could just play the games there.

I really see hardware releases like this and the NES/SNES Classics as mad cash grabs that are horrible for consumers.

Imagine if PS4 had as well versed a BC library and you could just play the games there.

I really see hardware releases like this and the NES/SNES Classics as mad cash grabs that are horrible for consumers.
That's exactly what it is. Sony have seen Nintendo printing money and copied them verbatim. It's not even that mini. PS1 BC on PS4, with improved quality, and a £30 'greatest hits' collection, would be far more welcome by gamers, I imagine.

f7b.gif

That's exactly what it is. Sony have seen Nintendo printing money and copied them verbatim. It's not even that mini. PS1 BC on PS4, with improved quality, and a £30 'greatest hits' collection, would be far more welcome by gamers, I imagine.

But casual gaming is much larger than the entire install base of PS4 users. This makes sense, it's nostalgic and a much cheaper buy-in.

But casual gaming is much larger than the entire install base of PS4 users. This makes sense, it's nostalgic and a much cheaper buy-in.
What do you mean? That mum's who play the latest Match 3 game on their mobiles are interested in this?? NES Classic sold a few million - well shy of the tens of millions of the real consoles. Same will happen with this thing.

I can't play these old games anymore. They were fantastic back then but there are so many new games that I don't have time for.

I still rate Final Fantasy 7 as one of the greatest games I have ever played but that's from 12 year old me back then. That memory will remain untainted.

Pretty much this. My fucking PSP can play PS1 games via an emulator. And since the PS4 version of LocoRoco is just an emulated PSP game, rendering at 4K, there's no technical barrier.

And if they can clear the legal hurdles to get these games on a little, novelty box, they ought to be able to clear them for use on a legit console, and a highly profitable network.

PS1 and PS2 games don't need trophies, they just need to let you treat their saves like PS4 games, and map some buttons to the analogue sticks. Classic games with modern convenience.

I can't play these old games anymore. They were fantastic back then but there are so many new games that I don't have time for.

I still rate Final Fantasy 7 as one of the greatest games I have ever played but that's from 12 year old me back then. That memory will remain untainted.

Best to keep it that way. In your memory, things are perfect. In the moment, you can see their flaws.

I hope they implement the latest graphical plugins from the emulation scene that are able to guesstimate propper Z values for vertices and sub-pixel precision to allow for perspective correct textures and reduce wobble. As a toggle, of course, some people wanna see the ugly. Even I do, at times, but not always.

I wouldn't say that. These classic systems actually make great gifts for kids and older adults who don't want to deal with the complications of installing games, patching, complex OS features and moving about. Purchased my wife and my little-one the NES/SNES classic systems... and they enjoy them.

I wouldn't say that. These classic systems actually make great gifts for kids and older adults who don't want to deal with the complications of installing games, patching, complex OS features and moving about. Purchased my wife and my little-one the NES/SNES classic systems... and they enjoy them.
Terrible consumerism choices though for your wallet and for the environment.
They should focus on making games easier to install, patching and OS features easier. Existing discs should work etc.
I mean yea, this solution works...but it's not ideal by any means.

Even if these micro-consoles just supported adding additional games, so you got more out of them than the limited libraries, they'd be far better - the hardware already supports that. A fixed collection of games of which it's certain some won't appeal is just a waste of resources. But then the hardware could do more anyway. We'd be far better off with old system emulation on Android TV boxes etc. Nintendo and Sony should produce and sell emulation apps with their own DLC, to monetise their back libraries while supporting more hardware than these daft fixed-box solutions, which could just be generic platforms with a retro aesthetic.

Yeah this is terrible.

New consoles that get new games feed a whole market of software development and research. This is just soon-to-be non-biodegradable technological trash that doesn't feed anything but decades-old copyrights.
It's even worse when we consider they'll be releasing a PS2 Classic, and then a PS3 Classic and so on. All while they could just release an emulated games pack for the PS4.

Back