Shadow of the Tomb Raider [XO, PS4, PC]

The game peaks out at 1500 nits. If your display tonemaps beyond that you will never have the white rectangle solid white. 2017 lg oleds tonemap to 4000nits, therefore the object is quite dark in the rectangle. If I force 500nit peak metadata with a hdfury linker, my tv clips past 1400nits and I can make the rectangle solid white on my oled.

Most high end displays will try to resolve up to 2000-4000nits of brightness. Entry level hdr displays tend to clip at 1000-1500 nits. This game was calibrated for low end hdr displays. And again, black levels are dark grey instead of solid black on the pro version.

Frankly the Ps4 pro version of Shadow of tomb raider is flawed in HDR mode and definitely doesn't take full advantage of high end displays. Not even close to the caliber of a AAA like Spiderman

The game peaks out at 1500 nits. If your display tonemaps beyond that you will never have the white rectangle solid white. 2017 lg oleds tonemap to 4000nits, therefore the object is quite dark in the rectangle. If I force 500nit peak metadata with a hdfury linker, my tv clips past 1400nits and I can make the rectangle solid white on my oled.

Most high end displays will try to resolve up to 2000-4000nits of brightness. Entry level hdr displays tend to clip at 1000-1500 nits. This game was calibrated for low end hdr displays. And again, black levels are dark grey instead of solid black on the pro version.

Frankly the Ps4 pro version of Shadow of tomb raider is flawed in HDR mode and definitely doesn't take full advantage of high end displays. Not even close to the caliber of a AAA like Spiderman
That's exactly why I asked him if he had an LG OLED. The 2017 models auto-tonemap on the fly so he will never be able to have the rectangle solide whit as you said.

Finally got this game since I've beaten Spiderman early. Running on the 1X at 4K HDR, the game looks dimmer than others that's for sure even on my 1800+ nits Z9D "currently the brightest set money can buy", mastering at 1500 nits is a mistake honestly and shows inconsideration from the developers. Also is it just me or the jungle foliage is super blurry and low res, compare to a similar title like UC4 it's a huge step back.
1foeyo.png

uncharted4_athiefsendd8f3t.png

Shadow
https://abload.de/img/23ciyy.png
UC4
https://abload.de/img/uncharted4_athiefsendfaf8v.png
I expected more from all the praises DF has given to it.

Finally got this game since I've beaten Spiderman early. Running on the 1X at 4K HDR, the game looks dimmer than others that's for sure even on my 1800+ nits Z9D "currently the brightest set money can buy", mastering at 1500 nits is a mistake honestly and shows inconsideration from the developers. Also is it just me or the jungle foliage is super blurry and low res, compare to a similar title like UC4 it's a huge step back.
1foeyo.png

Shadow
UC4
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is an impressive looking game. The thing is, Uncharted 4 is a hard beast to beat in general. The expectations and standards raised by ND are very high. They are the cream of the crop which diminishes the perceived achievement of other developers. Shadow deserves some praise, but it shows how much more praise U4 deserves 2 years later

1foeyo.png

Shadow
UC4

You are still at the beginning of the game things get even better later.....oh and 1080P@60fps is the way to go on Xbox one X. Once you hit villages your framerate will be trashed on Resolution mode (in performance mode too but less) and the input lag at 30fps is HORRIBLE. Frankly it is locked at 60fps during 90Fps of the game so go for it. I'm 10 hours in and there's simply no way I could play in resolution mode the lag is horrendous.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is an impressive looking game. The thing is, Uncharted 4 is a hard beast to beat in general. The expectations and standards raised by ND are very high. They are the cream of the crop which diminishes the perceived achievement of other developers. Shadow deserves some praise, but it shows how much more praise U4 deserves 2 years later
You're right, sometimes it's easier to enjoy something for what it is and Shadow isn't bad looking by any means. Maybe some of the later levels will surprise me.

You are still at the beginning of the game things get even better later.....oh and 1080P@60fps is the way to go on Xbox one X. Once you hit villages your framerate will be trashed on Resolution mode (in performance mode too but less) and the input lag at 30fps is HORRIBLE. Frankly it is locked at 60fps during 90Fps of the game so go for it. I'm 10 hours in and there's simply no way I could play in resolution mode the lag is horrendous.
Yeah I did feel more input lag than usual in 4k mode, it's still manageable tho, if it gets much worse then I'll have to try the framerate mode for a change. They probably should use a dynamic 4k res mode in this case.

Yeah I did feel more input lag than usual in 4k mode, it's still manageable tho, if it gets much worse then I'll have to try the framerate mode for a change. They probably should use a dynamic 4k res mode in this case.
I'm fairly sure that a dynamic res won't really help with the frame rate drops given that the game is CPU bound when they happen: only in villages in both modes on both consoles (only difference is that the PS4/Pro are V-Synced/triple buffered).

1foeyo.png

Shadow
UC4

I think it just looks different. Not necessarily worse. Seriously, in terms of graphics I have next to no complaints. It's a gorgeous game all things considered. What I will complain about is the excessive amounts of collectible junk, though. Maybe I'm misremembering the other two TR games, but it seems like there's crap to pick up every two feet in Shadow. The other two games were collectathons as well unfortunately, but in Shadow it seems even more excessive. The focus on puzzle solving and those lovely challenge tombs more than makes up for it, though. Some of these are absolutely wonderful and I love how varied they all are.

No regrets about my purchase. Didn't think the 2013 TR would eventually evolve into a proper TR game.

I think it just looks different. Not necessarily worse. Seriously, in terms of graphics I have next to no complaints. It's a gorgeous game all things considered. What I will complain about is the excessive amounts of collectible junk, though. Maybe I'm misremembering the other two TR games, but it seems like there's crap to pick up every two feet in Shadow. The other two games were collectathons as well unfortunately, but in Shadow it seems even more excessive. The focus on puzzle solving and those lovely challenge tombs more than makes up for it, though. Some of these are absolutely wonderful and I love how varied they all are.

No regrets about my purchase. Didn't think the 2013 TR would eventually evolve into a proper TR game.
There's a pretty distinct difference in foliage quality between the two, I've been doing a bit of back and forth comparison and it definitely feels like Shadow sacrificed foliage resolution for something this time. Lara's texture resolution and poly count are also drastically reduced even compared to Rise, the whole thing just feels like devs needed extra resources. The lighting and shading in general are improved from Rise tho and overall a pretty nice looking game, but yeah far from perfect.
I'm also hating the collectathon BS, there's just too many of them and totally immersion, pacing breaking especially during tense action sequences. Looting around XP and collectibles must be toned down and not a core focus. I do love the art and design of the jungle and architectures despite not rendered at top quality, less combat is also very welcoming.

Last edited:
Maybe more detailed in Uncharted. I think the jungle looks more organic in TR, though. Even on the pictures you selected.

As for the collectibles: There's literally 3 ot more things to collect in every bloody mud hut once you reach Paiti. It's absurd. The whole every-game-needs-unlockable-skills craze can also die in a fire for all I care. It's a cool thing to have in a proper rpg where you'll actually end up with drastically different character builds in the end. It's rather pointless in games which are designed in ways that have you unlock everything anyway. Might as well just tie that stuff to the story progression and save us from what is nothing more than occupational therapy. It's not like you're even finding these things really. They're highlighted on the bloody map.

Last edited:
SOTR looks really good and much better than Rise based on the videos i've seen (i don't have the game).

But it also highlight the trend between third party games and exclusive titles. Uncharted has much better animations, better character rendering and far more ambitious action scenes. Not to mention the much lower input lag.

The same is true on Xbox consoles as well. See how extremely polished are the Forza games.

The whole every-game-needs-unlockable-skills craze can also die in a fire for all I care.

This is a theme of modern video games that I actually like - when it's done right. I won't be playing Shadow for some months yet but I'm a fan of games that cater to different play styles (full on combat, more sneaky etc) because I can chose how I want to play it (and/or replay it). It's surely better for sales as well as you're not pigeonholing a game in a specific genre to appeal to a specific crowd. I think it's part of the reason why RPGs like Elder Scrolls and Fallout sell so well.

I'm much more likely going to pickup a third-person shooter, or any RPG, if I can play sneaky-stealthy because basically I like to be Batman is every game ;) It's something I never get bored of and I was actually disappointed that stealth was not a viable option for many encounters (particularly bases) in Spider-Man given his skillset is stealth orientated.

There's a pretty distinct difference in foliage quality between the two, I've been doing a bit of back and forth comparison and it definitely feels like Shadow sacrificed foliage resolution for something this time. Lara's texture resolution and poly count are also drastically reduced even compared to Rise, the whole thing just feels like devs needed extra resources. The lighting and shading in general are improved from Rise tho and overall a pretty nice looking game, but yeah far from perfect.
I'm also hating the collectathon BS, there's just too many of them and totally immersion, pacing breaking especially during tense action sequences. Looting around XP and collectibles must be toned down and not a core focus. I do love the art and design of the jungle and architectures despite not rendered at top quality, less combat is also very welcoming.

I'll post some 6K/8K photos of the PC edition later Sunday, but yes, compared to the previous Tomb Raider, character poly-mesh count is lower and materials look less polished. I'm guessing this has to do with the larger set-pieces requiring more of the poly-budget. Here are some photos of Tomb Raider running on one of my rigs. But yes, ultragpu is right when compared to prior Tomb Raider, Shadow's characters are somewhat neutered.

1O7ItRX.jpg

zWtb96p.jpg

nIIEFjL.jpg

The environments look so much better on Shadow it's not even a comparison.

I'm not debating that (outside of some annoying glossy material effects). However, the prior Tomb Raider characters and NPCs look quite better, IMHO.

In cutscenes? Arguable. During gameplay? Hell no.

That first two screenshots aren't cutscenes. The first five (5) and the last one in the link are real-time cutscenes. Shadow's character aren't necessarily unattractive, but they sure aren't Rise of The Tomb Raider quality.

Last edited:
Back