Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ps5 next generation has to Be very poverfull My ps5...
14+Tflop
24 GB GDDR6 bandwith 672 GB/s
Zen 8core 16 thread or 16 core

Can run gt sport native 8k locked 60 fps
Can run Horizon Zero Dawn native 8k 30 fps locked

1 Ps5 flop is like 2 ps4 tflops

And over 10 Grays/s

14+Tflop

So you're wanting 14/1.8 == 7.8x as many flops, and then for those flops to achieve twice as much work as PS4's, so being equivalent to 15x the GPU power. Let me guess - this magical box is going to cost $299 and be released 2019, in a 15 Watt device that's also portable? Or are you going to factor in costs and timelines and thermodynamics and come up with a realistic proposal, like a $2000 console, or a 2025 launch date?

14+Tflop
24 GB GDDR6 bandwith 672 GB/s
Zen 8core 16 thread or 16 core

Can run gt sport native 8k locked 60 fps
Can run Horizon Zero Dawn native 8k 30 fps locked

And over 10 Grays/s
I am curious about the menory increase. We typically saw memory increase by 8 to 16 times each gen. 24 GB is just 3 times more than the total the base consoles have now and just twice what the X has.
But maybe we started hitting a ceiling

Out of interest Shifty, what specs would you expect for say late 2019 $399/£349?

My guess is still the same:

10-12TF Navi
8-core Zen 2 (poss 16 threads)
16GB GDDR6
400-500GB bandwidth

Bonus - Quality cooling that is quiet!

Out of interest Shifty, what specs would you expect for say late 2019 $399/£349?
I've no idea. ;) I'm so far removed from the costing and design of these devices, plus the long-term business plans, that I couldn't begin to form a decent speculation without taking serious time out to research.

I like seeing the logical arguments from those with better insight, like RAM/flash costs, and generally discussing plausible solutions and highly implausible ones. And there are some solid arguments worth entertaining like ARM versus x64, nVidia in or out. So yeah, I'll commit to an AMD solution. ;) And I'll hazard a guess some degree of fast flash. As the variables from then on in are numerous, I won't even try to guess silicon budgets, RAM amounts, pricing, or time-lines.

I'm not a fan of illogical, ludicrous suggestions (years of hidden physics/AI processors and nonsense) unless clearly for comic effect.

I really can't see any console after December 2020.
PS4's sales are pretty solid. It's probably sitting between PS1 and PS2 level of success. A 2019 is too soon. People are still not ready. We are almost in 2019. When is Sony planning to announce PS5 for a late 2019 release? July at E3 for a November release? Sounds premature.
2020 will be the year that the PS4 might start slowing down. Might. Considering that the previous gen lasted 8 years before the next gen release, it is posdible for Sony to push it until 7 years.
MS might rush things a bit since their own cobsole is not doing as good. A new XBOX sooner is possible But then again MS might also prefer to push for a simultaneous release to give room for more competitive tech. A one year gap can be huge in perfomance.
They also know that the PS is a much stronger brand and they wouldnt want to end up like the DC. The previous 2 eras demonstrated that a significant portion of the market is willing to wait for the next PS. The previous gen was slightly convenient for MS since the PS3 experienced larger delays than expected, a hefty price point and a tech not more powerful than the 360. And yet Sony cought up. Since then Sony is going for a balance of performance, cost efficiency and price.
MS has to choose between releasing early or going competitive.

PS4's sales are pretty solid. It's probably sitting between PS1 and PS2 level of success. A 2019 is too soon. People are still not ready. We are almost in 2019. When is Sony planning to announce PS5 for a late 2019 release? July at E3 for a November release? Sounds premature.
2020 will be the year that the PS4 might start slowing down. Might. Considering that the previous gen lasted 8 years before the next gen release, it is posdible for Sony to push it until 7 years.
MS might rush things a bit since their own cobsole is not doing as good. A new XBOX sooner is possible But then again MS might also prefer to push for a simultaneous release to give room for more competitive tech. A one year gap can be huge in perfomance.
They also know that the PS is a much stronger brand and they wouldnt want to end up like the DC. The previous 2 eras demonstrated that a significant portion of the market is willing to wait for the next PS. The previous gen was slightly convenient for MS since the PS3 experienced larger delays than expected, a hefty price point and a tech not more powerful than the 360. And yet Sony cought up. Since then Sony is going for a balance of performance, cost efficiency and price.
MS has to choose between releasing early or going competitive.

It might play out just like you say here. I just prefer right now to believe something is cooking at Sony for late 2019. If it doesn't happen, no biggie.

I'm still interested in the possibilities of a GDDR6 + 3D XPoint + hard drive combination with the 3D XPoint acting as both VM swap for main memory and storage acceleration for the hard drive. I've seen talk that Micron aren't able to move as much of their allotment of 3D XPoint as they would like, so maybe they will be willing to swing a deal for a volume contract.

Edit: Ah, here it is:

Anandtech said:
Since Micron does not consume any 3D XPoint for retail purposes, it needs to sell virtually all the output it has from the Lehi fab to Intel, otherwise Micron needs to register an underutilization charge (a fab that does not run wafers still costs a lot of money), which is exactly what happened last quarter. As it turns out, Intel is not consuming Micron’s entire share too, and the latter expects this situation to persist in the ongoing quarter, or even quarters. In fact, Micron even models a situation when Intel does not buy any of its 3D XPoint memory.

“The underutilization charge associated with 3D XPoint was about 700 basis points, as it hit to the SBU operating margins,” said Dave Zinsner, CFO of Micron. “We sold very little of 3D XPoint to our partner." “I think, longer term from underutilization perspective, we could continue to sell wafers to our partner, and that certainly would mitigate the underutilization charges.”

From here.

https://wccftech.com/amd-next-sony-microsoft-consoles/

Looks like AMD is confirmed on next Xbox. Lisa also mentioned each platform will have its own secret sauce. I bet PS5 brings enhanced VR support but I wonder what Microsoft is planning! Something like Hololens? :D
Doesn't really specify if she is talking about existing ones or new ones so I don't take this as confirmation. She could just be talking about the continued collaboration on producing chips for existing consoles.

They all had secret sauce this gen, it never was anything more than a relatively small modification to existing architectures AMD had to offer. We should expect the same.

I don't think we will see any AI or RT circuitry unless AMD already have it planned for their gpus. We would see those features announced as their next architecture way before the consoles come out. The lack of PR response from AMD to counter nvidia's could also mean they have nothing and will only focus on generic compute instead of special purpose like tensor or rt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back