Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any sony games had higher res textures over base ps4? I would expect the ram in pro won't do much more than what's in base ps4 to allow it
It has happened in Horizon ZD but nothing major, just bits and pieces. Textures are already pretty high res in exclusive ps4 games these days anyway even on the base console, I think it's gonna take ps5 to really show a sizable difference.

It has happened in Horizon ZD but nothing major, just bits and pieces. Textures are already pretty high res in exclusive ps4 games these days anyway even on the base console, I think it's gonna take ps5 to really show a sizable difference.

DF did a interview with the devs and they confirmed textures weren’t improved it was a effect of increased AF

Well that explains the not so dramatic changes then, I think they did mention about the increase in their first analysis. Anyway moving on.

DmLqvwUXsAA1otX.jpg

Spiderman's hands look very smooth for an open world game :

image_spider_man-39172-3639_0025.jpg

HZD is not bad either :

horizonzerodawn_20170ytur0.png

While angles can be more visible in much more linear games :

image.jpg

Yeah Senua's hand does not impress. Decima and Spiderman's engine are simply more powerful, versatile and more advanced than Hellblade's, but the handful of people at Ninja Theory did do a good job on facial captures.

Lara in Shadow received quite a bit of poly count downgrade versus in Rise. Notice the shoulders and face.

Her in-game model is using much better shaders than Rise in-game so that's a pretty good trade-off. The game looks much better overall imho, and more consistent.

Shadow directly lit
sottr_directjpfgj.jpg

Rise directly lit
rottr_directxfihr.jpg

Shadow indirectly lit
sottr_indirectxqeco.jpg

Rise indirectly lit
rottr_indirectc5fbv.jpg

All in-game from PC version native 3840x2160 using High preset (similar to consoles).

Last edited:
I guess it's because the world is much more dense in terms of foliage even though the game seems to be much more linear.

It's why the new model has less polys. It could be a lack of time to polish the game too.

She does have a pretty face however :

impostorsyndrome.png

Much better than Aloy, MJ, Chloe, Nadine, etc.

Edit : actually i was wrong, the game is not linear and even larger than ROTR.

Last edited:
Skin shader on Lara's face looks kinda bad to me tho, sometimes it's either too plasticky or too dry. MJ looks much more natural to me especially the face, lips and eyes.

The material shading looks dramatically better than the rather last-genish looking ones of the previous games, but yet still seem behind the curve compared to contemporary AAA games.
When it comes to gameplay though, I'm one that likes the feel of this new TR series, and if this is more of that I'm in.
The overly dark and serious tone is silly and out of place in my opinion, but part of me admires the devs for sticking to the vision they set out for this reboot since the first game instead of mutating it with each interation to apease the critics.

Biggest issues I have with the humans in the Spiderman game is a) some of the mouth movements/animations are awful, especially when the character tries to laugh; b) Peter Parker's hair is a bit painful to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back