How much will Insomniac's Spider-Man game sell? *spawn

How many lifetime units do you think Insomniac's Spider-Man game will sell?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think you're off your rocker. ;) Logic and data say you're way off the mark.

Spider Man 2 on PS2 gen scores 80+% on Metacritic, sold on the back of the highly acclaimed (best ever) Spider-Man movie, to a multiplatform install base of probably 80 million PS2s (70 million sold as of Jan 2004) and another ten+ million of XBs and GCs. Going by VGChartz (if you've a better source, please provide!), SM2 sold something like 5 million. Maybe to 7% of the console market.

The best selling single player games on PS4 to date haven't even broached 10 million.

Spider-Man is not the strongest super hero IP in the world - Batman has that title. Batman Arkham City, a metascore of over 90%, sold something like 10 million to an install base of 50 million PS360s. Some 20% of the market bought that game.

Insomniac's Spider-Man is a weaker IP than Batman, and is a lower rated game than Batman Arkham City - you'd expect it to sell to a smaller proportion than that game's 20% as ti's weaker in two areas. The previous killer Spider-Man game only sold 5 million units out of a similar install base to PS4's. The PS4 SM is selling to a smaller audience without the same movie-assist - the SM:Homecoming isn't rated as highly. PS4 SM is a bit higher rated though. The better rated, stronger brand Batman game was maybe only just looking at 15 million units if the market had been the same size as PS4's, so how can one predict >15M for a lower rated game on a weaker brand?

There's not one single piece of evidence to suggest Spider-Man can sell 15 million, let alone pretty easily. If it sells over 10 million, it'll have busted sensible predictions. It may be helped past previous records thanks to game streaming and stuff which previous Spider-Man and Batman games haven't had, but that'd be a wild-card outcome.
I find that metascores have changed over the generations. Reviewers were more likely to hand out 9s and 10s and used a smaller portion of the scale. Nowadays, there are more published reviews and more reviewers that actually use a larger portion of the 10 point scale. I really feel that a game of Spider-Man PS4's quality would easily be over a 9 metacritic last gen. Many reviews say that this is the best Spider-Man game ever released.

There are also other things that will help this rendition of Spider-Man in terms of sales:
-There hasn't been a good Spider-Man game in over a decade, and this is arguably the best one
-Spider-Man's popularity is quite high right now
-Exclusives, while being on a single platform, usually get more hype
-Being an exclusive, it has a high chance of being bundled with the PS4
-Sony's marketing for this game has been quite good

15M+ is quite an optimistic number that I also don't think it will reach. But I think it has the potential to easily outsell previous titles despite being on only one platform.

Last edited:
I think you're off your rocker. ;) Logic and data say you're way off the mark.

I'm with you. 0m would be impressive but I doubt Spider-Man will sell 10m in its lifetime.

Spider-Man is not the strongest super hero IP in the world - Batman has that title. Batman Arkham City, a metascore of over 90%, sold something like 10 million to an install base of 50 million PS360s. Some 20% of the market bought that game.

IP or game meta scores? Because in 2014 Batman's IP was valued at $494m, the Avengers at $325m whilst Spider-Man was valued at $1.3Bn. I couldn't find any more recent comparisons. Superman is way down there at $277m if anybody is interested. That suggests people are willing to spend more on products for the Spider-Man experience than Batman. Sufficiently more to buy a game or not, or buy a whole console and game than not? Who can say.

That being said Spider-Man makes is a more game-friendly franchise than Batman.

Then there is this. Spider-Man is certainly more family friendly because he's so damn nice even when pacifying criminals :yes: Nobody has died in New York under my Spider-Man's rule although the hospital's ER rooms are certainly full of thugs who've taken a 'friendly' manhole cover to the face. :???:

NON-LETHAL FTW!

15m is not possible.

That being said Spider-Man makes is a more game-friendly franchise than Batman.

Ain't no character more game-friendly than Batman if you ask me. Guy's a ninja, a marial artist, a detective, a race driver, a fighter pilot, and he has a limitless pool of gamey gadgets at his disposal. He can also be taken out by a punch to the face, which is something that wouldn't really happen to a character who can do this:

Spider-Man-Homecoming-Ferry-scene.jpg

Last edited:
People's voting. Brand value is based on the commercial moxie of the brand owners, and Marvel trounces DC in that respect. But the world's number one super hero as voted by people whenever asked is Batman.

Fair enough but you claimed Batman was the most valuable IP and this is not true. Equally, voting for and buying are not the same things. One impacts sales, the other does not and this is a thread about sales.

Spiderman is probably more popular for children.

Which means it's in the minds of those children's parents as well. As in presents.

Ain't no character more game-friendly than Batman if you ask me.

I agree. Family-friendly is a bit different. Arkham Knight received a UK 18 / ESRB M age classification. Spider-Man is ESRB T. My Spider-Man never killed anybody. Well, not anybody that they ever found! :mrgreen: Corpus delicti.

Neither did Batman supposedly. Remember, when he barrelled into a group of thugs with his car they weren't really hit by a couple tons of steel traveling at 150 miles per hour, but by an electric field traveling at 150 miles per hour ;)

On a more serious note, I thought some of the cut-scenes in Spider-man were suprisingly violent.

God damnit you people and your fucking everything-is-political kind of brain disease. Jefferson Davis is indeed the name of a Marvel character. And yes, It's also the name of the president of the confederate states of America. Intentional? An oversight by his creator? Whatever it is, It's certainly not Insomniac's fault.

I'm African-American and I see no problem with his name. I mean, I knew a few Jefferson Davis' in my life time whom are African-American. Funny enough, I have a white employee named Martin Luther King, named purposely after Dr. King (I'm being serious), by his grandmother, whom fought side-by-side with King and others in the late 50's & early 60's. But yes, America is going through a weird social and political period, exacerbated by tribalism and social-media foolishness.

Ain't no character more game-friendly than Batman if you ask me.

In the end he is a normal human. He has no powers. It's much easier to pull off a super hero game with powers. Batman is a basic brawler with some puzzles thrown in. I love games like Infamous where you get more and more powerful and can unleash some big guns and fight some super baddies. Spider-Man is closer to Batman than Infamous, but at least he has strength, speed and some ranged attacks.

Depends on the powers. I mean Delsin basically has a bunch of guns and smartbombs. Try making a Green Lantern game instead. You should be able to do anything and everything in theory, but then all the enemies would simply wear yellow jumpers and Hal Jordan would be screwed.

God damnit you people and your fucking everything-is-political kind of brain disease. Jefferson Davis is indeed the name of a Marvel character. And yes, It's also the name of the president of the confederate states of America. Intentional? An oversight by his creator? Whatever it is, It's certainly not Insomniac's fault.

And if Miles Morales had taken his father's name he would be Miles Davis.

Ain't no character more game-friendly than Batman if you ask me. Guy's a ninja, a marial artist, a detective, a race driver, a fighter pilot, and he has a limitless pool of gamey gadgets at his disposal. He can also be taken out by a punch to the face, which is something that wouldn't really happen to a character who can do this:
Thats easily fixable. You adjust the enemies by replacing humans with superhumans, aliens and high tech weaponry. In regards to gadgets you can use Tony Stark as Spiderman's suit designer. Spiderman's superhuman flexibility and maneuverability add a ton of movesets that Batman will never be able to do. Spiderman's environment traversal also has may fun touches, making him an impressive parkour trickster that can mimic Toy Hawk gameplay mechanics.
The other thing about spiderman is that he is a less dark character compared to Batman which means he can appeal to a wider audience

Nobody has died in New York under my Spider-Man's rule although the hospital's ER rooms are certainly full of thugs who've taken a 'friendly' manhole cover to the face. :???:

NON-LETHAL FTW!

Hahaha yeah, gotta love those obviously lethal, non-lethal moves! Every time I perform one particular perched stealth takedown - the one where you yank someone into the air, web them up whilst at their peak, then yank them face first towards whatever you're perched on, in order to knock them out - I shout "dead!"

I've lost count of the number of poor souls who'll, at best, never be able to chew again.

On a more serious note, I thought some of the cut-scenes in Spider-man were suprisingly violent.

Agreed.
Suicide bombing in a Spider-Man game?
A bit much...

Still a great game, but blimey!

Well Spidermans numbers seem to be tracking better than I thought it would. Possibly beat ltd GOW numbers in the UK in three weeks.

I also think Spiderman is much bigger in the US so if it's tracking the same or better there then 10 million is almost guaranteed.

Back