Red Dead Redemption 2

yeah density is better than size.
Size does not matter, NEVER !

Too high of a density is a thing, though. AC Unity absolutely fell victim to that mentality. There was so much copy-pasted shit in the game that you couldn't view the map properly without disabling icons. And just to make sure you'd never ever take in that gorgeous rendition of Paris in a moment of peace and quiet, the game would spawn in pick pockets close to your location about once in every one, maybe two, minutes.

And if you want to have a convincing open world, especially one which closely resemebles reality, you simply need a certain amount of square miles. A Grand Canyon-like structure you could traverse in a minute or two just wouldn't be believable.

Last edited:
So it seems Rockstar were at a convention this week and resetera appear convinced that Rockstar confirmed the rumours that the map leaked earlier this year, which shows all/most of Red Dead Redemption's map being part of RDR2's map, are indeed true.

If so.. wow. Sure, PlayStation Access reported that the map was the largest Rockstar had ever done but even so. Read Dead Redemption's map is huge, particularly when traversing on something no faster than a horse. The new areas of the map look to be about twice the size of the original game (more or less).

map2.jpg

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

It certainly looks huge but there's no real scale to compare anything.

It certainly looks huge but there's no real scale to compare anything.

People are comparing it to the scale of the original game.

Granted it'd be interesting if someone overlaid a mile/km ruler thing on the map to give a sense of scale to those of us who haven't played RDR.

If the new area is 2x the old area (which is analogous to the RDR map) then that is potentially 3x the size of RDR.

Regards,
SB

People are comparing it to the scale of the original game.

Yup. And games are really good at inflating scale. The city of Los Santos in GTA V feels insanely huge, there are distinct neighbourhoods that feel quite sizeable and the Vespucci beach area feels large even though you can cycle (bicycle) along it in a few real minutes. Games conflate space and time (by making day/night cycles pass quicker) which fool the player into a larger sense of scale than is really present. In a fast car can you circle the main highway in GTA V in around 12 minutes but it feels longer and 12 minutes going flat out, is quite a long time to be travelling non-stop in any game except a massive MMORPG like WoW before you flew everywhere.

Your can run across Fallout 4's map, corner-to-coner, in 13 minutes if you ignore everything around you but the game still feels massive and full of space yet actually everything is pretty close to other things.

Damn tricksy devs. :yep2: But this is the right call. Anybody who has played Just Cause 3 knows that too large a world with nothing interesting in it is just dull.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. And games are really good at inflating scale. The city of Los Santos in GTA V feels insanely huge, there are distinct neighbourhoods that feel quite sizeable and the Vespucci beach area feels large even though you can cycle (bicycle) along it in a few real minutes. Games conflate space and time (by making day/night cycles pass quicker) which fool the player into a larger sense of scale than is really present. In a fast car can you circle the main highway in GTA V in around 12 minutes but it feels longer and 12 minutes going flat out, is quite a long time to be travelling non-stop in any game except a massive MMORPG like WoW before you flew everywhere.

Your can run across Fallout 4's map, corner-to-coner, in 13 minutes if you ignore everything around you but the game still feels massive and full of space yet the realistic is everything is pretty close to other things.

Damn tricksy devs. :yep2: But this is the right call. Anybody who has played Just Cause 3 knows that too large a world with nothing interesting in it is just dull.

Man, this makes me gasp all over again at how large Vanguard was. Using a land bound mount like a horse, it would take you multiple hours (I think 10+ IIRC) to ride and boat across the entire map.

Regards,
SB

Man, this makes me gasp all over again at how large Vanguard was. Using a land bound mount like a horse, it would take you multiple hours (I think 10+ IIRC) to ride and boat across the entire map.

The same was true in the first MMORPG I ever played, EverQuest, where a journey across the realm could literally take hours working around dangerous areas. Worse, if your internet connection (or HDD) was slow and you were using boats, you could die because your equipment could not keep up with changes on the server.

In a way I kind of miss this but equally, as somebody who has very little time to spend gaming, the changes are good. it's a fine line between making a world feel open and spacious to empty and boring. It's the difference between GTA V and Just Cause 3 and yet Just Cause 3's world was absolutely beautiful but 20 minutes realtime just moving between two points is stupid.

Artworks extended

Dutch van der Linde “They’re chasing us hard, because we represent everything that they fear.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Dutch.jpg
The leader of a sizeable gang of outlaws and misfits. Idealistic, anarchic, charismatic, well-read, well-lived, but possibly starting to unravel under the pressures of the encroaching modern world.

Hosea Matthews “I wish I had acquired wisdom at less of a price.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Hosea.jpg

A master con artist, gentleman and thief, Hosea has been Dutch's closest friend and right-hand man for over twenty years. Intelligent and quick-witted, he can talk his way into, or out of, just about anything.

Molly O’Shea “You’re playing a dangerous game.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Molly.jpg

A Dublin girl and the object of Dutch’s affection, for now at least, Molly is too high-strung for a life on the run and it’s all starting to take a toll on her.

Susan Grimshaw “I swear half of you would just rot in your own filth, if nobody kept you in check.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Susan.jpg

The undisputed boss and arbiter of justice in the camp, everything would have fallen apart years ago without Susan in charge. Tenacious and iron-willed, she stands for no nonsense.

Pearson “The people are happy and well fed. I think perhaps we'll be okay.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Pearson.jpg

The camp’s butcher and cook, Pearson served a short stint in the navy that he likes to talk about at length. A loud, jolly degenerate who is somewhat in denial about the turn his life has taken.

Micah Bell “I believe there’s winners and losers... and nothing else besides.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Micah.jpg

A career criminal and hitman. Wild and unpredictable but he lives for the action.

Charles Smith “The amount of hell we've raised, we're owed some back.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Charles.jpg

A relatively recent recruit to the gang, Charles is quiet and reserved but extremely competent in everything he does and virtually unbeatable in a fight. A decent, honest man who also happens to be deadly.

Bill Williamson “Don't try anything stupid and we won't do anything unkind.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Bill.jpg

An ex-soldier discharged from the army, possibly dishonorably. Hot headed, he tends to act first and think later but is tough, dedicated and always ready to fight.

Leopold Strauss “It's a nasty world out there, and it's catching up with us...”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Leopold.jpg

Originally hailing from Austria, Herr Strauss is responsible for keeping the gang’s books and running their money lending operation. A serious, somewhat shifty and unemotional man, he has all the qualities a loan shark needs.

John Marston “Guess about all I got left now is doubts. Doubts and scars.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Marston.jpg

Once an orphaned street kid taken under Dutch's wing at the age of twelve, John has always had to live by his wits. Shrewd, fearless and strong-willed, he and Arthur are Dutch’s proudest protégés.

Abigail Roberts “If they so much as put one bruise on him I swear, I'll bring the fires of hell on them myself.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Abigail.jpg

An orphan who grew up scraping out a living in dive bars and brothels in the West, Abigail is a strong, straight-talking woman who has seen a lot of life and knows what it takes to survive against the odds.

Jack Marston “Did you catch the bad guys?”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Jack.jpg

Young Jack has grown up with the gang, although everyone has done their best to shield him from the more nefarious elements, especially his mother Abigail. He loves everything about nature and the outdoor life, and is carefully watched over by his many aunts and uncles.

Karen Jones “Running scams, robbing banks, screwing over the rich and horrible.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Karen.jpg

A consummate scam artist and trigger woman who can drink pretty much anybody under the table. Bold and full of fun, she loves the outlaw life and wouldn’t have it any other way.

Javier Escuella “If we have to fight, we fight. If we have to run, we’ll run. If we must die, we’ll die, but... we’ll stay free.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Javier.jpg

A notorious bounty hunter and Mexican revolutionary. Javier immediately had a strong connection to Dutch’s ideals. Very committed, passionate and loyal.

Tilly Jackson “Most of us grew up hungry and scared and alone, one way or another.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Tilly.jpg

An outlaw from the age of 12, Tilly ran with another gang before joining up with Dutch. Savvy, resilient and dependable, she can more than handle herself and isn’t afraid to speak her mind.

Uncle “People call me lazy. I'm not lazy. Just don't like working. There's a difference.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Uncle.jpg

A hanger-on and good-time guy, Uncle is always around when the whiskey is open and never around when there’s any work to be done. If he wasn’t so entertaining, Dutch would have cut him loose years ago.

Mary-Beth Gaskill “Gentlemen, I think I’ve got something good.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Mary-Beth.jpg

A kind, good-natured young woman, which makes her the perfect criminal. By the time people realize they’ve been duped, Mary-Beth is already on her way home with the money.

Lenny Summers “Living free out here, like this... I wouldn't have it any other way.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Lenny.jpg

Young Lenny has been on the run since he was 15 years old after killing the men who murdered his father. Smart, educated, competent and ambitious, he is always ready to do his part.

Josiah Trelawny “How can romance ever be silly? It's all we have.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Josiah.jpg

A flamboyant conjurer, conman and trickster, Trelawny is a very hard man to pin down but he’s always able to bring good leads.

Reverend Swanson “I had real suffering and I lost everything, my vocation, my faith, my family…”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_RevSwanson.jpg

An ex clergyman now lost to debauchery, Swanson has fallen a long way from the standards he once set himself. If he hadn’t saved Dutch’s life in the past, it’s unlikely the gang would have kept him around for this long.[/CENTER]

Last edited:
Artworks extended part 2 (previous post exceeded the 20 image limit of the forum)

Sean Macguire “Just leave it to me. I can talk a dog off a meat wagon.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Sean.jpg

A cocky young Irish thief and stick-up man who comes from a long line of criminals and political dissidents. He always wants a piece of the action and believes in himself…perhaps a little too much.

Sadie Adler “Nobody’s taking nothing from me ever again.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Sadie.jpg
A widow who is hellbent on taking revenge upon those who killed her husband. Relentless and afraid of nothing and no one. The wrong woman to cross, but very loyal to those she loves.

Arthur Morgan “We're thieves, in a world that don't want us no more.”
Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Official_Artwork_Arthur.jpg
Dutch's most dependable and capable enforcer since he was a boy, the outlaw life is all Arthur has ever known. Sharp, cool-headed, and ruthless, but with his own sense of honor. A man who gets the job done.

Last edited:
superb one liner character descriptions.
Strange that we still don't have any real story trailers for this and it is release time already. R* somehow seems to not have managed the marketing for this title well at all. No gameplay, no story trailers and we are in the release month already.

Strange that we still don't have any real story trailers for this and it is release time already. R* somehow seems to not have managed the marketing for this title well at all.

Eh? They've dropped four videos and while the first was only showing off the new tech, trailers 2 and 3 were focussed on the story - well as much as Rockstar ever reveal in story trailers. They're mostly scene-setting with lots of cutscenes mixed together but with no context - exactly what they did for GTA IV and GTA V :yes:

No gameplay, no story trailers and we are in the release month already.

Sorry man but this game doesn't launch until the end of next month - that's seven weeks away. And what about the PS4 Pro six minute gameplay video they released four weeks back? We're likely to get one more trailer nearer release if past marketing campaigns are anything to go by.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh? They've dropped four videos and while the first was only showing off the new tech, trailers 2 and 3 were focussed on the story - well as much as Rockstar ever reveal in story trailers. They're mostly scene-setting with lots of cutscenes mixed together but with no context - exactly what they did for GTA IV and GTA V :yes:

Sorry man but this game doesn't launch until the end of next month - that's seven weeks away. And what about the PS4 Pro six minute gameplay video they released four weeks back? We're likely to get one more trailer nearer release if past marketing campaigns are anything to go by.

I had confused it with launching in September.

But still I am not at all happy with how little we know about the game just a month before launch. Has anyone seen any one full mission of the game? Has anyone seen any important story beat/cutscene? nope. Has anyone seen any side quest or open world activity being played? nope.
Maybe I am not that enlightened about its marketing, but to me its just a sequel to a great game.
Anyways, dont mean to rant, but I usually know a TON more about a game before someone asks me to put in my money....and time.

Maybe they're trying a slightly different approach. GTAV has proven that you can sell plenty of copies over plenty of years, and if they have another sustaining online component, they can reasonably expect a similar sales trajectory.

I had confused it with launching in September.

But still I am not at all happy with how little we know about the game just a month before launch. Has anyone seen any one full mission of the game? Has anyone seen any important story beat/cutscene? nope. Has anyone seen any side quest or open world activity being played? nope.
Maybe I am not that enlightened about its marketing, but to me its just a sequel to a great game.
Anyways, dont mean to rant, but I usually know a TON more about a game before someone asks me to put in my money....and time.

Rockstar is a different kind of company. If you'll look back on Red Dead Redemption or GTA V, they have shown a pattern of being stingy with their marketing prior to launch. They think they can get away with it & so far I don't see how they're wrong. People are going to buy it regardless. I suspect they have enough pre-order numbers to know if they need to start hyping the game more. They did push back the pre-order bonus deadlines a couple weeks into August. I believe they did that since they hadn't shown any gameplay yet. With the game just over 5 weeks away I think we'll start seeing more details drip out each week now.

Tommy McClain

Rockstar is a different kind of company. If you'll look back on Red Dead Redemption or GTA V, they have shown a pattern of being stingy with their marketing prior to launch.

Yup and this was worked well for them in the past. It's RDR2 by Rockstar so you already know the broad-strokes of how it will play. Personally I like discovering and experiencing all the little things myself when I play rather than have hours and hour (sometimes days) of pre-release footage and full mission play throughs by gaming sites and youtubers way in advance.

I believe they did that since they hadn't shown any gameplay yet.

The last trailer was all gameplay, rather than what appear to be cut scenes that seem to comprise the earlier trailers, but only snippets. At the end of the last trailer, they mention more information in the next trailer.

Rockstar are one of the few companies where you essentially know what you're going to get. Also, I think the lack of knowledge breeds excitement.

"Interestingly" I had no interest in RDR as I didn't like GTA so didn't want to play "Grand Theft Horsey", however once out and I heard about it I wanted in...glad I did, one of the best games last gen and will get this day one regardless of previews.

Rockstar are one of the few companies where you essentially know what you're going to get. Also, I think the lack of knowledge breeds excitement.

"Interestingly" I had no interest in RDR as I didn't like GTA so didn't want to play "Grand Theft Horsey", however once out and I heard about it I wanted in...glad I did, one of the best games last gen and will get this day one regardless of previews.

Same here, don't like GTAs, so was wary of it, but RDR was great. I am getting this one, of course, but still I would have liked to know more of the story/characters/missions/side-missions uptill now.
BTW, R* has announced Red Dead Online finally. launching in November.

Back