PS4 Pro: CUH 7100 compared to CUH 7000

What is it determining the size of PS4's mobo? With all that empty space, why aren't Sony shrinking it and having a smaller, cheaper box?

Would the savings from a shrunken PCB outweight the cost of needing to engineer a new and smaller case? Perhaps its thermally constrained?

They need the width to fit all connectors, and the depth allows all front and back connectors on board without cables or risers. The width is constrained by the heatsink plus odd, and the depth is the heatsink+fan+PSU. The only cable is the flatflex for the ODD.

If they must fit a number of boards on a pcb panel, cutouts or small reductions might not save anything if it's not reducing it enough to fit at least an additional row/column. The L-shape could allow a flipped tiling if they could reduce the depth enough to have more than a 50% cutout for the HDD, but then they need a more expensive PSU.

Would the savings from a shrunken PCB outweight the cost of needing to engineer a new and smaller case? Perhaps its thermally constrained?
Unless you have exotic multilayered PCBs, costs per square inch isn't a that you'd notice, nor I suspect are the raw materials used in the case, assuming going small is like-for-like materials.

What going smaller does mean is taking an automated production line off line, retooling and testing it. That can be very expensive. Running a single production line at a Foxconn plant is probably 25-30% of the overall production cost, the rest being materials, packaging, storage and shipping. When the line isn't producing anything, you're still paying Foxconn but every second is a loss and your effective margins will take a hit for that financial quarter.

How much does extra PCB layers (for routing) cost?
It can become quite complicated. The factors that impact cost are the number of layers, the complexity of each layer and the number of interconnects. These factors can impact what materials can be used for the PCB, which obviously can also impact cost and yields, which again, impact cost. PCBs are nowhere near as complex as ICs and many defects can be repaired but often it's not worth the time.

Not a good example. NCAB's business is build around selling their services for PCB production, consequently their costing reflects this. They have a large number of small(ish) customers who produce a, relatively, small number of boards for particular projects.
Sure but they give a nice explanation of relative cost of pcb production, they split the services from the production cost.

If sony were to shrink the ps4 board, they might need smaller vias, certainly more layers, and maybe even hidden vias which all drive the cost way up. The area cost is linear while all the other factors are exponential.

Somebody told me once that designing new plastic casing means a few iterations on the metal mold used for it and that is also quite expensive. Albeit when you ship millions of devices, its probably not that bad per device.

Each metal mold costs about 20k or less.
Even if they need tens of molds for each factory and/or need to remake some molds that had some problems initially, that's peanuts within the millions of manufactured units.

Sure but they give a nice explanation of relative cost of pcb production, they split the services from the production cost.

In accountancy terms yes, but the actuals costs of production are offset/subsidised by their services. If you want them to fab only, I bet their costs will be structurally differently because this is just how the technical services industry operates. The profit margin is in providing expertise, even though it's debatable how much expertise is required in PCB design, most courses are a day long; experience is of greater value. The same is true in the building industry, builders don't charge by the brick but by complexity (hours).

Before I took up my current job, my predecessor used a lot of external design and production outlets so we've a lot of experience with this. If you're being charged for PCBs by the square inch, something is wrong unless there is some exotic requirement like space qualified materials. Or it's a bit of a scam, i.e. they get you to go smaller (cheaper) then stealth increase costs because of the increased complexity and you're now having issues from a bunch of noisy components which are much closer together. Don't worry, we can also supply some lower noise equivalents at preferable rates. NCAB don't do that but their niche is making PCBs for people who can't make their own. There's a reason they're not making high volume PCBs for Sony, Microsoft, Apple or anybody big in the consumer space, their economics are very different so you're can't really use it as a basis.

Their website does have some good visualisations of multilayered PCB production which illustrates the relative complexity. But in real cost terms, it's way more complicated, especially if space is at a premium - which arguably it is in a console.

Being as gaudy and visually obnoxious as possible has always been the mantra for designing PC hardware. Particularly for hardware with gaming in mind. Whereas just about every piece of hardware seems to get cleaner and more minimalist as the price goes up, PC hardware has always gone the bling route of 90s hip hop.
Next up, on Pimp my Rig: Yo dawg, I heard you like overclocking, so I put a cooler in your cooler, so you can cool while you cool.

I see there is another (minor I guess) revision of Pro on the MIC site. CUH-7200

3jUc.png

Is not PS4 Slim CUH-2200 could be bought already?
Can not find motherboard photo though.
CUH-2000 -> CUH-2100 change was a new smaller BD controller afaik.

Back