The Insomniac Spiderman [PS4]

Looking forward to it. I had to order from Gamestop instead of Amazon for the first time in years. So scoring better than most super hero games, including some of my favorites.

It's the best Spiderman game ever done which is a positive thing by itself, no matter the score that is good by the way.

image_spider_man-39164-3639_0033.jpg

image_spider_man-39164-3639_0034.jpg

Look so much better than any similar open world (Division, GTA5, WD2, etc.)

I liked that DF's analysis looked at how Spider-Man's ground-level detail held up, even looking at the permanence of traffic and testing to what distance vehicles cease to exist. It's a long way form the complexity of GTA V but it doesn't need to be; most of the time you be swinging above ground-level not moving through it but it's great that when you do hit street level it looks densely populated.

If anyone can pull off a Man of Steel-game it's Rocksteady. Still, that's quite possibly the hardest super hero to get right. Good luck, and good riddance to enemies wearing armor and shields which are curiously immune to Superman's powers.

If it were me, I'd have it where you have to choose between things to save, maybe with a stamina property that's depleted as he approaches exhaustion. Make it a psychological game about dealing with being unable to be everywhere all the time. You could also throw in a psychic-powers adversary and have the player struggle to work out what's real and not, perhaps. Basically, avoid the brute-force challenges other than as amusing filler. Oh, you could also have it where it's easy for Supes to kill people but you have to ensure you don't. Provide analogue grip strength and have the player have to control the grip to not crush their arm into jelly. ;)

Although TBH Superman is very stupid when portrayed. Every single mega-adversary faced, he could just fly it up into space. No need to level cities through fisticuffs and collateral damage. Great big monster? Fly it into space! Nasty ol' super-human? Fly it into space! 10 seconds to solve every problem with zero casualties.

If it were me, I'd have it where you have to choose between things to save, maybe with a stamina property that's depleted as he approaches exhaustion. Make it a psychological game about dealing with being unable to be everywhere all the time. You could also throw in a psychic-powers adversary and have the player struggle to work out what's real and not, perhaps. Basically, avoid the brute-force challenges other than as amusing filler. Oh, you could also have it where it's easy for Supes to kill people but you have to ensure you don't. Provide analogue grip strength and have the player have to control the grip to not crush their arm into jelly. ;)

Although TBH Superman is very stupid when portrayed. Every single mega-adversary faced, he could just fly it up into space. No need to level cities through fisticuffs and collateral damage. Great big monster? Fly it into space! Nasty ol' super-human? Fly it into space! 10 seconds to solve every problem with zero casualties.

Something like a reputation system where excess use of force outright kills people. Power unlimited, limited by the world "community". Kill people / innocent bystanders = bad guy, save people = good guy. Make it more about morality, kind of like Batman vs Superman.

Something like a reputation system where excess use of force outright kills people. Power unlimited, limited by the world "community". Kill people / innocent bystanders = bad guy, save people = good guy. Make it more about morality, kind of like Batman vs Superman.

Something like that. Although that has the potential of veering dangerously close to DC's dark and gritty "what if meta humans were real"-crap. Seems to me like most people like cheesy, colorful silverage Superman. Not the tortured, guilt-ridden soul from the DC movies.

How do you balance a games combat when the main character can bench press an astroid?

Usually by introducing enemies that are just as strong which of course kinda defeats the purpose of having a superpowered main character in the first place. The "The Force Unleashed" games spring to mind. You know, where everyone suddenly had the technology to guard against light sabers and/or Jedi mind tricks.

Even Spider-man does this to an extent. Spider-man is a ridiculously strong character who can easily catch a truck in mid-air. He really should be able to shrug off punches from regular people like they were nothing.

Last edited:
Haha that's fabulous, one must not underestimate the popularity of Spidey!
Also what kind of blood pact Insomniac has made with the devils to make it look this insane?

I don't have the game but from the screenshots i've seen, i think it looks even better than HZD.

Back