Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's on the internet. ?
He's inside the internet.
He is the internet.
4853022.jpg

I think such configuration could be possible if they put a 80CU GPU inside (72 activated).
It would be big enough to fit a 384-bit bus on the PS5.
PS4 OG has a 20CU GPU (18 activated)
Pro doubles that -> 40CU (36 activated)
PS5 could double that again? 80CU (72 activated)
We will see...
One advantage could be that Sony will lowly clock the GPU (let's say around the same frequency of XBX's GPU) and still obtain some decent flops (~11TF)
Perhaps you are absolutely right and we have a some clue here ?
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/001/706/1706234/index-2.html

Sony has already provided 20 tflops mock devkit. Not real dev kits Just start...
By google translate
"Although it feels like "Does not it manage a little more?", It seems that this area is a reasonable balance point as a reality problem. In this case, the theoretical performance of 7 nm Vega is 20.9 TFlops (Single Precision)."

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps you are absolutely right and we have a some clue here ?

By google translate
"Although it feels like "Does not it manage a little more?", It seems that this area is a reasonable balance point as a reality problem. In this case, the theoretical performance of 7 nm Vega is 20.9 TFlops (Single Precision)."

If the console space gets a 20TF system, I can guarantee you it wouldn't be in a sub $499 box. If we're talking a possible two system (10-11TF standard model & 18-20TF premium model) launch model, then maybe a $599-$649 system with a more efficient way of doing crossfire (infinity fabric!?) could get you close to that performance.

Yup we need to recalibrate what "beast" means in a console context it's not "Beast vs the latest datacenter CPU" it's "Beast vs 8 Jaguar cores". Beyond even this it's "Beast vs $399/$499" so whether the new box is 8c/16T or 4c/8T it will still be an amazing leap above what devs have access to today.

If we're talking packed F16 you could get to 20TF with a 56 CU GPU running at 1.4GHz.

Cheers

Well yeah. My thought process was on 20TF @FP32 performance metrics within the console space (i.e., Pro GPU is 4.2TF at FP32 and 8.4TF at FP16), not so much FP16. Given your specs of 20TF/FP16 will give it around 10TF/FP32 for a possible sub $499 box.

Last edited:
I don't have any sources. But if Sony wants to deliver a PS5 that is a discernible next-gen console, then 500+ GB/sec and a 16GB are a bare minimum. Just compare to X1X, 326Gb/sec and 12GB RAM. Approximately +50% on those specs doesn't buy you a whole lot.

I'm hopeful that the PS5 can be closer to 15Tflops then 10. Rather, I think it needs to be. I'm actually really curious what comes of NVIDIA DLSS and I think a similar technique like that in the console space could be really interesting especially applied to something like checkboard rendering.

Why? Why not compare it to PS4? PS5 is the next generation after PS4, not the next generation after XB1X, or 4Pro.

Gamers aren't separating the mid-gen refreshes - because Sony/MS has made clear that Pro/X aren't separate platforms, but extensions of the current base platform. Plus, most gamers will look at Pro/X hardware as the current standard to surpass, just like any product with revisions or updated wares.

Why? Why not compare it to PS4? PS5 is the next generation after PS4, not the next generation after XB1X, or 4Pro.

Why should I compare it to PS4? I'm comparing it to the top console on the market now and deciding whether it will offer a substantial visual increase for me to invest my money in.

If PS5 targets 1080p/1440p graphics and dedicates 12Tflops for that, sure, but I don't see Sony or MS going back on 4K resolutions so they need to substantially increase the number of flops per pixel, I think, to be able render better graphics. Just more stable resolutions and framerates for the same looking games don't really excite me.

The mid-gen upgrades are going make a serious dent in Sony/Microsoft's aspirations as most will simply compare next-gen to them and with diminishing returns already in full swing, this added to it will just make things even more difficult for them to justify new consoles.

Surely TF is just one factor, a decent CPU upgrade will make a big impact on top of a ~12TF GPU no?

Put very simply you mostly 'see' TF and 'feel' CPU. Vast majority of console buyers make their decision based on the former.

The CPU will by a long way be the big upgrade this time round especially given the mid-gen upgrades muddying the waters.

This next generation could be a slow burn, but as long as Sony/Ms have planned for that, it should be fine.

In previous generations a console maker ran the risk of launching too early or to late and being "out of sync" with the rest of the industry, who were able to capitalize of newer tech and potentially process nodes to gain an advantage.

Nowadays, not so much the case. It is literally a 2 horse race unless Nintendo decide to jump back "most powerful console in the world game". Process improvements after 7nm will be years away. The chance for the competitor to launch a significantly more powerful console at a similar price point is unlikely. Things get even more tricky for a competitor if one the other does a "top tier" console launch alongside the standard model, securing 2 price/performance segments, unless the other competitor goes higher performing still, which would likely carry a higher price tag again.

To top it off, one of the horses in this race has a ace in the hole of having great 1st party dev teams, which can showcase the graphical capabilities of a system, even if it is less powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back