Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not impressive until we know the XB1 resolution. Normal if the game runs at 1080p, impressive if it runs at 900p.
How far we've come from the days before Scorpio where everyone said it had no chance of doing 4K native at all.
To impossible to do 4K60
To it must do more than 6x the resolution of Xbox One titles to be considered impressive.

Quite a few goal posts have moved under a year that's fairly impressive; the next 2 years will be where we see X1X start to be really optimized by developers.

How far we've come from the days before Scorpio where everyone said it had no chance of doing 4K native at all.
To impossible to do 4K60. To it must do more than 6x the resolution of Xbox One titles to be considered impressive.

People seem to be able to bounce between overly optimistic to overly pessimistic quite easily. Just look at recent speculation about ray tracing hardware and 12+ teraflops GPUs and big, fast SSDs in nextgen consoles and the pessimism about what it possible at a realistic price allowing Microsoft and Sony to make some kind of profit, like they're greedy corporations only out for the $$$. People also don't seem conscious that they do this. :runaway:

People seem to be able to bounce between overly optimistic to overly pessimistic quite easily. Just look at recent speculation about ray tracing hardware and 12+ teraflops GPUs and big, fast SSDs in nextgen consoles and the pessimism about what it possible at a realistic price allowing Microsoft and Sony to make some kind of profit, like they're greedy corporations only out for the $$$. People also don't seem conscious that they do this. :runaway:
Lol indeed. Man that’s is a challenging topic. I don’t see a wrong answer, both sides of the argument have clear lines of logical reasoning for me that being RT vs stronger performance without RT and the discussion of realistic price points. I still want ray tracing to happen even with weak performance, but upon reveal I will still be shocked with either direction the companies go for next gen. The biggest shocker being if they don’t head in the same direction. For me, whatever path they choose I hope they do it together.

To impossible to do 4K60
To it must do more than 6x the resolution of Xbox One titles to be considered impressive.

Quite a few goal posts have moved under a year that's fairly impressive; the next 2 years will be where we see X1X start to be really optimized by developers.
Well, the sensible position had always been that a 1080p60 game on XB1 can naturally be expected to run at 4k60 on XBX at XB1 fidelity. If it manages to run at 4k60 with the additional bells and whistles PS4 had at 1080p, then it's already somewhat impressive (and many titles have been managing, which is great!) and if the XB1 was sub 1080p, then yeah, cudos to the dev on the Scorpio version!

Well, the sensible position had always been that a 1080p60 game on XB1 can naturally be expected to run at 4k60 on XBX at XB1 fidelity.

This. I don't understand what iroboto is saying.

The diffierence in GPU power with the XB1 is larger than 4x and 4K is only 4 times larger than 1080p.

These 'everyone' are stupid since some PS4 pro titles run at 4k native, so they were saying a more powerful machine will run worse than a less powerful one, weird

Well, the sensible position had always been that a 1080p60 game on XB1 can naturally be expected to run at 4k60 on XBX at XB1 fidelity. If it manages to run at 4k60 with the additional bells and whistles PS4 had at 1080p, then it's already somewhat impressive (and many titles have been managing, which is great!) and if the XB1 was sub 1080p, then yeah, cudos to the dev on the Scorpio version!
To begin with, X1X seldom if ever runs at XBO fidelity. We're usually seeing higher forms of AF and other graphical options dialled up.

It's more on commentary of in general of what people thought of Scorpio on social media, not particular of this forum.
Commentary on how people thought it would be impossible for Scorpio to do 4K native. Then when it proved it could, the post moved to 4K60 was not doable. But it started doing that well.
On this forum we've been putting the 900p to 4K claim to the test, as if that niche goal was an important metric to clear for the hardware or developer to validate. 4K on console today is impressive and will continue to be impressive leading into next gen.

For all the talk of everyone going 'crazy' over PS4 exclusive next gen visuals which likely run 1080p on PS4 -- you could have something pretty damn close to native, if not native 4K on X1X.

If this is what they can accomplish with 6TF, that's very good and I think things will definitely be much more impressive by 2020.

OT: that's also why I find the talk of next gen hardware funny as if there needs to be 2x-3x the power of X1X to be a base hardware for next gen.

Give me ~6TF + RT ;)

haha always back to this.

Last edited:
On this forum we've been putting the 900p to 4K claim to the test, as if that niche goal was an important metric to clear for the hardware or developer to validate. 4K on console today is impressive and will continue to be impressive leading into next gen..

It's not important, you're perfectly right. But something impressive in my book is not an expected result. 4K from 1080p is expected and has nothing impressive.

As for your claim that we can get native 4K from a demanding PS4 title, it's not supported by actual evidence.

This. I don't understand what iroboto is saying.

The diffierence in GPU power with the XB1 is larger than 4x and 4K is only 4 times larger than 1080p.

Except that in many cases it's not 1080 XBO IQ at 4k.

It's 1080 at greater than XBO IQ at 4k or greater FPS at 4k with same IQ. IE - there's a greater than 4x increase in what is being rendered when going from 1080p XBO to 4k XBO-X due to either existing IQ settings being boosted along with resolution or in some cases additional IQ settings being implemented.

Take Monster Hunter World for example. It's not a 1080p XBO title but as DF tested it had exactly 4x the resolution of the XBO version.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-monster-hunter-world-face-off

Xbox One stays below the 30fps threshold more often and has fewer spikes above that number.

Switching to the resolution priority mode, PS4 Pro hands in higher metrics than Xbox One X, but a wider distribution in frame-times seems to add further judder, to the point where Xbox One X feels slightly more fluid overall. Metrics stay north of 30fps across our testing, making the lack of a frame-rate cap - optional or otherwise - a missed opportunity.

Same IQ as XBO (Resolution mode which only increases resolution) at 4x the resolution with better framerates which are limited by the framerate cap. So it could be even higher compared to XBO.

Does that mean it was only doing 4x the work? In all cases XBO-X was doing higher framerates despite either 4x the resolution or greatly enhanced graphics IQ.

I'm not sure there has been a title where XBO-X was exactly 4x the resolution of XBO with the same framerates as XBO while at the same time keeping the exact same IQ settings.

Regards,
SB

Except that in many cases it's not 1080 XBO IQ at 4k.

It's 1080 at greater than XBO IQ at 4k or greater FPS at 4k with same IQ. IE - there's a greater than 4x increase in what is being rendered when going from 1080p XBO to 4k XBO-X due to either existing IQ settings being boosted along with resolution or in some cases additional IQ settings being implemented.

Take Monster Hunter World for example. It's not a 1080p XBO title but as DF tested it had exactly 4x the resolution of the XBO version.

It's expected too... 6/1,31 = 4,6

My point is that, overall, X performances tend to match the performance gap, at least on multiplatform games.

But if DMC5 is 900p on XB1 and native 4K on XBX i will be the first one saying it's extremely impressive.

It's expected too... 6/1,31 = 4,6

My point is that, overall, X performances tend to match the performance gap, at least on multiplatform games.

But if DMC5 is 900p on XB1 and native 4K on XBX i will be the first one saying it's extremely impressive.
I’m pretty sure the Division 4K patch is that

I don't like dynamic resolution, a bit disappointing... especially on PS4 where 1080p should be the norm. The game looks great though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back