Formula 1 - 2018 Season

Fernando Alonso said F1's 'halo' head protection may have saved Charles Leclerc in their huge crash in Belgium.

_103181582_leclerc_halo_rex_.jpg

Television replays show Alonso's car being deflected by the halo, which had impact marks on it afterwards.

Leclerc added: "If today it has been useful or not, I don't know. I don't know what would have happened without it but in some cases it is definitely helpful."
Later, he posted an image of the accident on Twitter and wrote: "Never been a fan of the halo but I have to say that I was very happy to have it over my head today."
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45316834

While it's obvious that all the credit is given to the halo, it's unlikely the car would have hit his helmet regardless - based on the angle the car was coming from and moving towards the right side of the bottom of the car that now hit halo would have landed somewhere in front of cockpit

Without the halo it's possible parts of the car body near the cockpit may have broken off injuring anything from the neck and below.

That was an epic quali. Holy crap tears in my eyes

Kimi fastest ever, Vettel second fastest ever, Hamilton third fastest ever.
Pure speed, pure passion

WTH is wrong with media these days? One german publication says that they think that someone's body language could possibly indicate Leclerc is getting a Ferrari deal instead of Kimi and suddenly everyone is yelling that Leclerc has a Ferarri deal for next season
I mean I know it's F1 and it's silly season, but from someone thinking that damn bodylanguage might indicate something is not a source!

He, he ..from the body language of Jensen 2080Tis have 1 bilion more transistors than reported

Last edited:
Vettel snatches defeat from the jaws of victory yet again.

Crashtappen and Vettel really need to watch their moves before critising others.

Wonder is Crashtappen will be forced to pay Red Bull the difference in race earnings, as he decided to throw away 4th and be quite proud of it.

Jawn. Bottas had space. Problem is he just isn't a very good driver. On a track where power is everything he can't even pass a car that is way down on grunt.

Vettel didn't snatch anything as he still lost more points to Vettel. With the Mercedes and Ferrari being in a class of their own it's not that surprising he still finished 4th.

Verstappen did his usual shenanigans, not giving enough space. 5 second penalty was fair.
Bottas was timid. Imagine DannyRic in that Mercedes, it would have been a totally different story. Bottas did a good job defending Kimi, but Ferrari made a mistake this weekend not running the soft tyres before race day. They only brought 1 set for each car and that meant they didn't know how they would behave.

The result is bad for the championship, but maybe Singapore is still bad for Mercedes?

Verstappen did his usual shenanigans, not giving enough space. 5 second penalty was fair.
Bottas was timid. Imagine DannyRic in that Mercedes, it would have been a totally different story. Bottas did a good job defending Kimi, but Ferrari made a mistake this weekend not running the soft tyres before race day. They only brought 1 set for each car and that meant they didn't know how they would behave.

The result is bad for the championship, but maybe Singapore is still bad for Mercedes?
Actually Kimi had 2 sets of softs, but I'm not sure if they still used them before the race in any practice

Should have given him another 5 seconds for arguing with the referee :).
And yes, still fighting with Bottas afterwards rather than trying to keep 5 seconds between him and Vettel was stupid. Although to be honest I'm not sure he'd have managed to do it (Vettel was faster at that time in any case, and in the end Max was missing just over 2 seconds).

Tied for youngest average age with Red Bull? Sainz is 24 and Norris is 18. Verstappen is 20 and Gasly is 22.

Or: Stroll is 19, Sirotkin is 23. So to judge it now we need to count days, but I won't bother.

If Stroll goes to Force India and Ocon stays (Perez made overtures to McLaren for a seat but that is now closed), Force India (or whatever it will be called next year) will be youngest as Ocon is 21.

Back