Claybook [XO, PS4, PC, NX]

And the disclaimer that goes along with the video from a ResetEra post of Dark1X @ https://www.resetera.com/posts/2548631/

Keep in mind it’s more of a personal list and not a collection of AAA games. It also doesn’t include patched enhanced games - so something like Gears 4 wouldn’t be included.

Lastly, it’s limited by what I’ve played. I have not touched Battlefront 2 so it wouldn’t be here.

It’s ultimatey just a list for fun - not some amazing award or anything. It’s about things that interested me and the other guys from a tech perspective.

So...don’t get too angry that stuff like GT Sport, Uncharted and Battlefront 2 aren’t on the list. That’s what I’m saying.

I am curious about the SPH based fluid dynamics simulation in your game. Typically, for fluid dynamics, you have a time step restriction for numerical stability, which means that there is a certain minimum number of SPH updates you have to do per second, to get a stable fluid simulation. Can you tell me if the minimum physical framerate of the fluid simulation is higher or lower than the 60Hz graphics output?

Now this kind of style of graphics I really like. I believe this one is using traditional rendering rather than SDF's like claybook.

Looks like there is a Steam sale going on, so anyone who hasn't picked it up yet, shame on you, and now is your chance.

Now this kind of style of graphics I really like. I believe this one is using traditional rendering rather than SDF's like claybook.

That game was actually made using stop motion Claymation. It isn't really being rendered. :)

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/08/harold-halibut-combines-video-games-and-handicrafts/

Their blog with more details.

http://haroldhalibut.tumblr.com/

It's a labor of love for the developers who are doing everything by hand. They used 3D rendering in order to get the animations required to then go and do physical stop motion Claymation recordings of the character to use in game. That is then combined with photogrammetry of their hand built set pieces to create the in game scenes.

Basically everything in the game is created in the real world and then incorporated into the game.

It's a beautiful game that reminds me of my childhood watching Claymation holiday TV shows.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
After going through our pipeline (Creation of Real-World Assets -> RealityCapture -> Mudbox/ZBrush -> Maya/Cinema4D -> Substance Painter) we get 3D Models in the end, that are very close to the original assets with all the benefits that 3D models have.
According to that blog the character models are fully rendered with I guess a clay/plasticine shader that simulates the look of the real life models.

Last edited:
According to that blog the character models are fully rendered with I guess a clay/plasticine shader that simulates the look of the real life models.

Yes for the models it's a complex process.
After going through our pipeline (Creation of Real-World Assets -> RealityCapture -> Mudbox/ZBrush -> Maya/Cinema4D -> Substance Painter) we get 3D Models in the end, that are very close to the original assets with all the benefits that 3D models have.

The look and feel come from the physical Claymation being used. It makes it look and feel like actual Claymation.

Had it instead been just 3D modeled and textured from start to finish it would have either not been as convincing or possibly have just taken a whole lot more time and money to accomplish.

Regards,
SB

Claymation is just a brand stop motion. They aren't animating their photogrammetry scanned models in a stop motion fashion. Most of the character stuff is mo-capped. Looks amazing, but not sure what it has to do with Claybook other than the word clay. :)

Their Unity key note bit covers that and their rendering pipeline, which is built on Unity's new high quality thingybob. Should start at that section:

I was just comparing it to another game that takes a different approach to creating a claymation look, albeit more of an animated sketch, but yeah the derail can stop here.

Back