AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

I always viewed NGG linked to Primitive Shaders (maybe I'm wrong) so it's not a surprise that it won't be supported on Vega.

More precisely : R.I.P NGG on GFX9 (as it will be supported on GFX10)
More precisely: RIP NGG in GFX9 GPUs when using the AMDVLK open source driver for Linux (which is their secondary driver AFAIR?).
The workload distributor is supposedly enabled in windows since Vega 10 launched a year ago. The only thing left behind are the primitive shaders, but apparently Wolfenstein 2 (and others?) already does a similar operation using compute shaders to do geometry culling, probably while being vendor-agnostic.

AMD may have simply overestimated the advantage of using primitive shaders over regular compute shaders for geometry culling.
Post-GFX9 GPUs may have faster primitive shaders and/or that functional/effective auto mode @Rys mentioned, which is why they're making that claim.

AMDVLK is developed by AMD and it's the driver which is shared between Windows and Linux, so Primitive Shaders from AMD's side are a closed book for GFX9.
RADV is an open source Vulkan driver which in contrast to the open source OpenGL driver RadeonSI AMD doesn't support.
It would be quite a suprise if one day the RADV developers would implement primitive shaders for GFX9.
The possability might be there if the devs can look into the current unfinished GFX9 code and the probably upcoming GFX10 implementation and if they can see a way to enable it on GFX9.

Always kinda fuzzy was the discussion about implicit and explicit Primitive Shaders.

AMD may have simply overestimated the advantage of using primitive shaders over regular compute shaders for geometry culling.
Post-GFX9 GPUs may have faster primitive shaders and/or that functional/effective auto mode @Rys mentioned, which is why they're making that claim.

Yeah, sure :D dream on. They have been just sandbagging, don´t you get it ? AMD just gave up an idea it could be done automatically in the drivers..... they have been talking very explicitly about that. It´s just as dead as Vega Primitive Shader. Deal with it.

Yeah, sure :D dream on. They have been just sandbagging, don´t you get it ? AMD just gave up an idea it could be done automatically in the drivers..... they have been talking very explicitly about that. It´s just as dead as Vega Primitive Shader. Deal with it.
?

You should read my post again.
Calmly and focused this time.

Clues: you're conflating "automatic primitive shaders" with the whole NGG set of features and GFX9 with post-GFX9.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clues: you're conflating "automatic primitive shaders" with the whole NGG set of features and GFX9 with post-GFX9.

Whole NGG set of features..... hmm. And they are ?

AMD made in past many bold statement such like that "automatic" Primitive Shader for Vega :D So now back to reality. Vega Primitive shaders is now forgotten se we need to hyping this feature with upcoming NAVI. Don´t worry, I get it. ;)

Whole NGG set of features..... hmm. And they are ?
They're in the first paragraph of my post that you quoted (and somehow failed to read).

AMD made in past many bold statement such like that "automatic" Primitive Shader for Vega :D
The "automatic primitives" statement was made by this forum's owner in an informal tweet, quickly followed by a "no promises" statement.
Rys isn't in the business of making gratuitous "bold statements". If he wrote that is because that was the plan at the given time of the tweet. Plans change, especially with all the executive juggling that happened at RTG during the past year.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you use Radeon GPU Profiler with a Vega GPU, you can see clearly that driver generates primitive shader code for domain shader program and geometry shader program instead of traditional shader code.

Back