Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnold-schwarzenegger-suspicious-true-lies-squint-not-sure-if-serious-14064209608.gif

I think the PhysX comparison is apt. Raytracing is definitely on the come-up. Microsoft delivering DXR is a dead giveaway that this is something that is wanted/needed in the industry. What is in question is if bespoke hardware is the best or only way to deliver it in the medium to long term.

In the time it took PhysX to gain traction, GPUs became powerful/flexible enough to make the dedicated hardware unnecessary. AMD's TrueAudio never did gain any traction (unfortunately), but even the custom hardware that drove this was eventually replaced with software running in dedicated time slices on the GPU once the tech was in place to guarantee QoS for those operations.

We could very well see something similar here.

Speaking of audio..Valve just release Radeon Rays support in Steam Audio Beta 15 yesterday.

B3D's dedicated thread to advanced Audio: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...logies-hrtf-dolby-atmos-etc-echo.58309/page-5

Pencil me in for the “Cluelessness” part of the thread title. I have so many reservations on just about every aspect of what we have covered so far that I can’t formulate any strongly held opinions.

I’m spending all my time contemplating and going, “Who the fuck knows?”

LOL.

Welp. I guess we shouldnt expect any real competitive pricing pressure on TSMC since Samsung doesn’t really compete for pc cpu and gpu space.

Global Foundries is halting 7nm development: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13277/globalfoundries-stops-all-7nm-development

I wonder how this affects AMD’s wafer agreement.

GF wasn't involved in the current gen despite the wafer agreement and AMD's familiarity with their fabs (i.e. GF's 14LP sucked in comparison to TSMC's 16FF+).
The wafer agreement is being remade. GF can't force AMD to make their high-end chips with them, if GF doesn't have a high-end process to begin with.

Welp. I guess we shouldnt expect any real competitive pricing pressure on TSMC since Samsung doesn’t really compete for pc cpu and gpu space.
GP107 and GP108 are made on Samsung 14LP. It's clear nvidia chose Samsung as a low-cost and low-performance alternative to TSMC 16FF+, but reportedly Samsung's 14LP was still substantially better than GF's.

Regardless, with TSMC getting increased solicitation for high-end chips, Samsung will now be considered more often than before. We could see a console SoC made at Samsung because of this.

GF wasn't involved in the current gen despite the wafer agreement and AMD's familiarity with their fabs (i.e. GF's 14LP sucked in comparison to TSMC's 16FF+).
The wafer agreement is being remade. GF can't force AMD to make their high-end chips with them, if GF doesn't have a high-end process to begin with.

GP107 and GP108 are made on Samsung 14LP. It's clear nvidia chose Samsung as a low-cost and low-performance alternative to TSMC 16FF+, but reportedly Samsung's 14LP was still substantially better than GF's.

Regardless, with TSMC getting increased solicitation for high-end chips, Samsung will now be considered more often than before. We could see a console SoC made at Samsung because of this.
Agree on all points. I actually think it helps console makers because AMD doesn’t have to recoup payments to GF for console SoCs made at TSMC.

Perhaps we’ll see Switch successors or revisions SoCs made at Samsung.

Credit to Gemüsepizza at resetera.

Codename Erebus appears in the latest public UE4 files. New console identifier?

https://www.resetera.com/posts/12033612/

Leave it to Resetera detectives to find something interesting. Possibility of it being PS5, as Sony is into Greek mythology code names.

This is interesting though...
EDIT: In the second pic, it also says "bPS4SeenOtherConsole", maybe that hints at it being a console?

Backwards compatibility maybe?

And/or crossplay based on other entries.

Yeah, if I'm reading the logic right it seems like it's an expression that evaluates to true if either
  • A PS4 console is seeing a non-PS4 console in the party it is asking or being asked to connect to.
  • A Non-PS4 console is seeing a PS4 in the party it is asking or being asked to connect to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back