What are you playing now? [2018-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes it does
That's good news. I've read conflicting stories about it's stability on Windows 10 but feel like dipping back into Fallout 3 which was my first Fallout game and a game I utterly loved even when I originally played on PS3.

I read some articles about FO3 vs NV, and I think FO3 is more my style.

I'm also one of the Fallout heathens that prefers Fallout 3. Whilst I enjoyed New Vegas there are two reasons I preferred Fallout 3. Firstly, the vibe of post-apocalyptic Washington DC was more my thing than the westery-vibe of Nevada/Arizona/California. Secondly I'm not hugely into RPGs so the "lack of options" (common complaint) didn't fuss me.

On that point, there is a British YouTuber called Jon on the ManyATrueNerd channel (recommended - high quality, entertaining well edited videos) who has garnered some 'internet fame' for his YOLO (You Only Live Once - no healing) and Kill Everything runs in Fallout 3 and New Vegas who recently did a great video titled "Fallout 3 is Better than you think" addressing a bunch of common complaints on Fallout 3 which is a) long, and b) spot on deconstructing common complaints, many of which are rubbish. It's worth a watch to learn things about Fallout 3 that you may not even have known. Jon and ManyATrueNerd cites New Vegas as his favourite game of all time and yet he also believes most of criticisms of Fallout 3 was conflated or just bullshit.

To make matters worse I'm a heathen who not only prefers Fallout 3 but also massively enjoys Fallout 4! It hit the right buttons between action/shooting and RPG in an interesting-to-explore post-apocalyptic world, which is really what I want from a Fallout game.

Now I must flee. I hear the Obsidian-fans lighting their torches and grabbing their pitchforks... :runaway:

Besides Assassin's Creed II and (still, ugh...) Final Fantasy III (NES), now... Heavenly Sword! At last. I've wanted to play this game for a very long time. I'm loving it to bits! Also, the artwork is amazing and the tech behind it is quite amazing as well (I'm especially liking the very subtle emotions in the characters faces, even better than games much more late in that generation).

Surprisingly still playing AC:O. I'm around level 22. Seems like a big game. It's like what I wish Witcher 3 was. I'm mean they both have lame combat, but at least the world is interesting in AC and the RPG elements are much better.

Yesterday I finally beat Heavenly Sword. It's a very special game, IMO. All the characters have a lot of charisma, the story is beautiful (as well as the graphics) and the gameplay was fun.

BTW: Kai looks like Björk. :D

Dead Cells - brilliant! Infuriatingly brilliant.

Really interested in trying this out. Unfortunately I tend to find the core of Rogue-Likes so gosh-darned off putting. Tried Spelunky, tried Isaac - sort of hated them both. I quite enjoy tough games, but the whole starting over whenever something goes bad-philosophy just rubs me the wrong way. How bad is this in Dead Cells? Unlike Spelunky and Isaac (which I also happen to not enjoy from a fundamental gameplay perspective. Seriously, ef that pathetic whip and that lame pea shooter), this looks bloody brilliant otherwise.

Really interested in trying this out. Unfortunately I tend to find the core of Rogue-Likes so gosh-darned off putting. Tried Spelunky, tried Isaac - sort of hated them both. I quite enjoy tough games, but the whole starting over whenever something goes bad-philosophy just rubs me the wrong way. How bad is this in Dead Cells? Unlike Spelunky and Isaac (which I also happen to not enjoy from a fundamental gameplay perspective. Seriously, ef that pathetic whip and that lame pea shooter), this looks bloody brilliant otherwise.

Well I haven’t played a lot of those other two games, but dead cells has some of the most satisfying combat I can think of. The number of different options you have, between weapons and skills, is so rewarding. Even on a run where you don’t get your preferred Iran’s, you’ll enjoy it just as much most of the time just because you discover a completely different way to kill monsters. But yes, having to start from zero is a bit of a bitch, even though the whole game can be beaten in less than an hour.

Guess I'm gonna try it, then. Probably gonna wait for a modest price drop, though. €25 on Switch seems rather steep. Might try out Iconoclasts first. Love that game's pixel art for a a change.

Yesterday I finally beat Heavenly Sword. It's a very special game, IMO. All the characters have a lot of charisma, the story is beautiful (as well as the graphics) and the gameplay was fun.

BTW: Kai looks like Björk. :D

I loved how it actually let you play out the kind of scenes which are usually relegated to cut-scenes. Heck, I even enjoyed the sixaxis gimmicks, in particular the air combos.

I'm also one of the Fallout heathens that prefers Fallout 3. Whilst I enjoyed New Vegas there are two reasons I preferred Fallout 3. Firstly, the vibe of post-apocalyptic Washington DC was more my thing than the westery-vibe of Nevada/Arizona/California. Secondly I'm not hugely into RPGs so the "lack of options" (common complaint) didn't fuss me.

On that point, there is a British YouTuber called Jon on the ManyATrueNerd channel (recommended - high quality, entertaining well edited videos) who has garnered some 'internet fame' for his YOLO (You Only Live Once - no healing) and Kill Everything runs in Fallout 3 and New Vegas who recently did a great video titled "Fallout 3 is Better than you think" addressing a bunch of common complaints on Fallout 3 which is a) long, and b) spot on deconstructing common complaints, many of which are rubbish. It's worth a watch to learn things about Fallout 3 that you may not even have known. Jon and ManyATrueNerd cites New Vegas as his favourite game of all time and yet he also believes most of criticisms of Fallout 3 was conflated or just bullshit.

To make matters worse I'm a heathen who not only prefers Fallout 3 but also massively enjoys Fallout 4! It hit the right buttons between action/shooting and RPG in an interesting-to-explore post-apocalyptic world, which is really what I want from a Fallout game.

Now I must flee. I hear the Obsidian-fans lighting their torches and grabbing their pitchforks... :runaway:
I like all the Bethesda Fallout games. And I don't care about having lots of choices in a game either unless the game forces me to do something I really wouldn't have done otherwise.

I quite enjoy tough games, but the whole starting over whenever something goes bad-philosophy just rubs me the wrong way. How bad is this in Dead Cells? .

I'm close to dropping this game for this reason. I love everything about it, but if I'm 1hr in and lose everything, I don't want to restart again. I don't want to beat each boss again. Maybe I'm missing something, but it does seem like it becomes a chore to keep replaying.

I'm close to dropping this game for this reason. I love everything about it, but if I'm 1hr in and lose everything, I don't want to restart again. I don't want to beat each boss again. Maybe I'm missing something, but it does seem like it becomes a chore to keep replaying.
It is quite unforgiving, but the point here is that if you invest your ‘cells’ properly, every time you start you’re that little bit stronger, to the point that now I can very easily get to the last stage (unless I’m being completely stupid in a specific run), but I have yet to beat the final boss. At which point you get a ‘stem cell’ which is basically a harder play mode, and so on and so forth.

So, with each run you not only get to play in a completely different way (if you want to) but of course it gets easier each time due to the whole +, ++ and S weapons mechanics, mutations etc.

Book of Demons.

It's a re-imaging of the original Diablo by an indie studio. Abilities and equipment is card based. Map traversal is linear-ish (you'll see if you look it up, hard to describe). Combat is more strategic than frantic click based, with pre-planning (card choices, etc.) making for easier or harder confrontations.

I've been semi addicted to it and have been playing it way too much. It's still early access and occasionally gets a 25% discount (that's when I bought it).

Basically a fantastic and interesting take on reimagining the original Diablo complete with their version of the Warrior, Rogue and Sorcerer classes as well as overall dungeon layout under the church.

Regards,
SB

Still with Assassin's Creed II. There are two things that reminded me of Tomb Raider:
- The camera elegantly flying through a tomb, showing you a key place where you have to go.
- Venice, of course! Sometimes I think that this piece of music is just about to start playing and that suddenly I will see some boat chase in the channels:

:D

Still rocking Monster Hunter World...tried to get weapons from Kulve Taroth event...but I wasn't lucky with the RNG system. Well, this is the only bad thing about MHW...the Kulve Event features some of the best weapons and they are behind a RNG wall (whereas all other weapons can be worked towards systematically)...this is exactly what I don't like about Destiny, and I don't like about MHW.

The rest of the game is awesome sauce deli 5000!

PS: waiting for Spiderman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back