Steam Proton - Steam Running Windows Games on Linux

Otto Dafe

Regular
Valve just announced that the Linux Steam client now supports running Windows games, albeit with a pretty small whitelist to start. Apparently Valve has been funding WINE and DXVK for some time.

From the announcement:
  • Windows games with no Linux version currently available can now be installed and run directly from the Linux Steam client, complete with native Steamworks and OpenVR support.
  • DirectX 11 and 12 implementations are now based on Vulkan, resulting in improved game compatibility and reduced performance impact.
  • Fullscreen support has been improved: fullscreen games will be seamlessly stretched to the desired display without interfering with the native monitor resolution or requiring the use of a virtual desktop.
  • Improved game controller support: games will automatically recognize all controllers supported by Steam. Expect more out-of-the-box controller compatibility than even the original version of the game.
  • Performance for multi-threaded games has been greatly improved compared to vanilla Wine.
Interesting times!

Last edited:
But have they made any improvements on their Steam Client? That thing is ancient and sometimes is absolutely horrible to use.

You mean specifically the Linux client? I've never used it before. Indeed I don't think I've ever tried to run a game under Linux.

Just tried ELEX in arch linux, stutters when you first enter a new area, but once you have been over it, it becomes smooth.
Also, locations visited already, even after a reboot, are stutter free.

But have they made any improvements on their Steam Client? That thing is ancient and sometimes is absolutely horrible to use.

I still can't believe that the base client still doesn't properly support touch. You can't "grab" a page and scroll it, for example, you have to scroll via the scroll bar still.

Regards,
SB

I like the Steam client. Gets the job done and hasn't really changed much since HL2 came out so I can practically use if blindfolded. From what I've seen things tend to go to shit when impractical and useless features like touch get integrated.

Have they ever fixed font scaling? I recall it being rather difficult to use on high DPI monitors last time I checked.

You mean specifically the Linux client? I've never used it before. Indeed I don't think I've ever tried to run a game under Linux.
If you want to try with no risk get kanotix live dvd (or put in on a usb stick)
it doesnt alter you windows install, comes with nvidia and amd drivers installed plus wine and steam
if you want to run a windows game just find the game folder and double click on the exe and it runs (i just played cod modern warfare 2)
there are other live dvd's but ive only tried kanotix and knoppix.

just an update on my experience with ELEX. I downloaded and compiled the steamos-compositor, its the steamos desktop, logged into it, and now the game run with no stutter in new areas.

Isn't this some 3-5 years too late?
Steam Machines failed, no one uses SteamOS and Windows 10 has a very successful adoption rate and Marketplace proved to be everything but a threat to Steam.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is somewhat cool even (though I'm definitely still not going to install Linux in a machine to play games).
I just wish Valve would either make games or release their IPs for someone else to make them.

Marketplace proved to be everything but a threat to Steam.
Will that be true in a couple of years time, one can never know, thus its wise to have a backup plan.
Its like someone on these forums years ago said about android, why is google bothering with that, its going noone and will not amount to anything etc

Isn't this some 3-5 years too late?
Steam Machines failed, no one uses SteamOS and Windows 10 has a very successful adoption rate and Marketplace proved to be everything but a threat to Steam.

Until Microsoft put a controller-friendly UI on the front of Windows for those of us who like the console UI experience but want more powerful hardware, projects like this are good. I've not used SteamOS but if this propels it towards one day being a viable alternative to Windows 10, I'm all for it!

I'd settle for Microsoft having Windows 10 updates that don't break my Xbox Controller connection and removing/reinsert the USB adaptor and repairing.

Until Microsoft put a controller-friendly UI on the front of Windows for those of us who like the console UI experience but want more powerful hardware, projects like this are good. I've not used SteamOS but if this propels it towards one day being a viable alternative to Windows 10, I'm all for it!

I'd settle for Microsoft having Windows 10 updates that don't break my Xbox Controller connection and removing/reinsert the USB adaptor and repairing.

Well, you don't need SteamOS for a console like experience. You can just put Steam's windows client (Mac client should have it also) into Big Picture Mode.

You lose booting directly into the Steam interface, but you gain access to significantly more games on the Windows side.

Regards,
SB

Well, you don't need SteamOS for a console like experience. You can just put Steam's windows client (Mac client should have it also) into Big Picture Mode.

This works until there is any form of graphics driver, Steam client update or Windows update. Which is all the time. When you use use your computer for multiple things you don't notice these. When the only time you need to reach for a mouse/keyboard is for updating something, you realise this is way too often.

If anything these are not actioned, lots of things cease to auto-update then require mega downloads when you do update. Six-monthly Windows 10 updates for me break the Xbox Controller. Every. Damn. Time.

Still hope they'll support on the fly Windows VM with PCI-Express pass through at some point, at least for some limited Steam Box platforms.

Sure, you can cobble it together yourself, but it's quite an effort.

Still hope they'll support on the fly Windows VM with PCI-Express pass through at some point, at least for some limited Steam Box platforms.

Sure, you can cobble it together yourself, but it's quite an effort.

What's the point? If you're okay with running Windows why not run Steam under windows to begin with?

The idea behind a steam box is valve isn't dependant on windows.

I don't think GPU passthrough is something that can be maintained in something like steam os in a matter that is reliable and usuable for most user.

No Man's sky works, must have mesa 18.2 or later for opengl 4.5 on AMD cards
Fallout 3 work, must copy live.dll to the game directory
Skyrim SE Work, but no npc voices.

Edit: Skyrim original, all sound works, both will lockup your desktop when exiting the game.

Last edited:
It's ridiculous that this was ever and still is an issue. Multiple wired 360 controllers have worked perfectly for years. XOne controller? My son has to disconnect/reconnect the wire a few times a week. Over bluetooth? lol yeah that was reliable...

When the only time you need to reach for a mouse/keyboard is for updating something, you realise this is way too often.
Have you tried Controller Companion? It's not a console GUI, but it lets you control the mouse with your controller. It can also act as a keyboard, but I haven't tried that.

Six-monthly Windows 10 updates for me break the Xbox Controller. Every. Damn. Time.
I don't think I've had this problem with my bluetoothed XBox One controller, but a review does mention it "malfunction[ing] after most Windows updates." You could try it before/after you install Windows' latest huge update and probably still be within the Steam 2hrs in 2 weeks return window.

Back