Impact of nVidia Turing RayTracing enhanced GPUs on next-gen consoles *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how PS5 will live up to the new RTX 2080Ti gpu from nvidia.

What I'm thinking now is that Microsoft might be planning to have nVIDIA back in the next XboX for Ray Tracing and that is why we have only heard about Navi in PS5 and not Xbox... If its true, Sony could be in trouble... Using "dead end" technology, unless AMD surprises us with Ray Tracing that is.

What I'm thinking now is that Microsoft might be planning to have nVIDIA back in the next XboX for Ray Tracing and that is why we have only heard about Navi in PS5 and not Xbox... If its true, Sony could be in trouble... Using "dead end" technology, unless AMD surprises us with Ray Tracing that is.

The way rumors get around in the industry, I'm sure AMD has been working on some kind of RT answer. Very likely no where near as well thought out as Nvidia's scheme, but something rudimentary or bolted on like PowerVRs mobile SoC Ray Tracing module.

RTX does come across as a new generation of graphics.

Yea. There could be a need for a hard cut I think.

The beauty of it is to be able to just turn on and off at will.

The rumors are true. Exciting to see Tensor Cores introduced to consumer cards for the first time ever. Unfortunately, AMD still focused on stream processing/CUDA cores. It would have been interesting to see how 2020-2021 consoles could use TC, not just for de-noising, but other deep learning applications. Maybe it'll fix Skyrim.

I would think that since MS is involved with their raytracing DirectX, AMD is well aware of what PC's will be capable in the near term. I'm sure MS is not working with Nvidia on this exclusively.

Having said that, if for some reason the next gen consoles do not have this technology, it will be an incredible miss, and the gulf between console and PC will be even bigger.

I mean this is an NV launch unless the industry flips on it's head is there much relevant from today for this thread? Nintendo is the only company working with them and they bought the cheap chip from behind the couch.

That being said the real time shadows look nice in the screenshots not sure I care enough to take an FPS hit if it's anything like HairWorks or the other "What Shall I Do With All These Cycles" features we've had in the past.

Edit: Even the cheapest of these cards will be more expensive than the consoles at launch, if they didn't look better I'd be demanding my money back from NewEgg

I would think that since MS is involved with their raytracing DirectX, AMD is well aware of what PC's will be capable in the near term. I'm sure MS is not working with Nvidia on this exclusively.

Having said that, if for some reason the next gen consoles do not have this technology, it will be an incredible miss, and the gulf between console and PC will be even bigger.

Being aware is not the same thing as being ready to support...

I suspect Microsofts DirectX ray tracing stuff is also being developed with their next gen console in mind. Whether that comes from Nvidia or not.

Until anyone actually uses RT to enhance gameplay (using a mirror to see enemies around a corner, which can still be faked), it's just a nice icing on the graphical cake. High end GPUs without RT are not dead in the water, the games are really no different. Just visually enhanced.

The way rumors get around in the industry, I'm sure AMD has been working on some kind of RT answer. Very likely no where near as well thought out as Nvidia's scheme, but something rudimentary or bolted on like PowerVRs mobile SoC Ray Tracing module.

Um, actually AMD has been working on consumer level cards containing ray-tracing features for quite some time, especially within the Vulcan API and Radeon Rays software. This isn't bolted on as you say...

Radeon™ Rays (formerly AMD FireRays) is a high efficiency, high performance GPU accelerated ray tracing software. By tracing the paths of light rays moving through a movie or game scene, Radeon Rays simulates the effects of light rays reflecting and refracting through an environment and interacting with virtual objects – for stunningly photorealistic 3D images.

Radeon Rays is targeted at content developers seeking to harness the high-performance ray-tracing capabilities of AMD GPUs, CPUs, and APUs. Asynchronous compute engines within AMD’s GCN-enabled graphics processors allow Radeon Rays to output the data for display into the ray-tracing viewport while the application is simultaneously driving the graphics engine.

I forgot about Radeon Rays, just another AMD initiative that gets lost amongst Nvidia's better marketting and engagement.

But I highly doubt it meets anywhere near the same kind of GigaRays as Turing, which means it's going to need added hardware to accelerate the feature or a whole new shader structure. Turing also has the Tensor cores to speed up rendering too.

AMD may still hold console market, even into nextgen, but Nvidia is just further cementing it's success by creating it's own markets. Even when AMD had the GPU performance crown, they could not break Nvidia's grip and it's looking to get worse.

Woahlet's not get too excited here, I've spent years in conferences with Nvidia touting their real time ray tracing to professional users and it has sold sweet FA additional high end cards. My Q6000 and higher series customers stayed that way and those buying just enough for Dassault Systemes stayed that way. We love new features in GPUs but until they are available across the board they will not be adopted into standard workflows or videogames.

Why would I spend dozens of hours tuning Proprietary Feature X in my software when that time would realise broader gains if I used those same resources on better memory management or something. I mean there are two features here RT Shadows which looks good but the comparison images right now are to some pretty raw stencil buffer-y shadows, I'd like to see the tech versus some of the better raster shadow techniques with edge softening, and RT Reflections which offer new horizons in technically correct eyeball reflections but frankly that seems more like something I'd just fake in a cut scene as otherwise why the hell would I be noticing eyeball reflections in the normal course of play?

$499 is the cost of an Xbox One X today. Where am I getting overtly excited to expect something similar in 2 years in a console at a similar price point ?

DXR is out today. The games are coming today. DX12 maturity and DXR will be substantially better in 2020. Developers will be ready to support

I suspect Microsofts DirectX ray tracing stuff is also being developed with their next gen console in mind. Whether that comes from Nvidia or not.

I'm pretty sure certain first-party (i.e., Naughty Dog, SMS, Guerilla, 343-I, Turn-10, etc.) next generation games will have some form of ray-tracing features. I'm almost incline to believe possible cross-generational titles such as Death Stranding (I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the DECIMA Engine has ray-tracing capabilities) could be a candidate for such features on the PS5.

.........seems more like something I'd just fake in a cut scene as otherwise why the hell would I be noticing eyeball reflections in the normal course of play?

That's what I was thinking when they showed such a close up shot of the eyes. I'm trying really hard to come up with a possible gameplay scenario that would require RT level rendering capabilities: a house of mirrors is the only that comes to mind.

Aside from that, it's really hard to justify it from a gameplay perspective. The Metro example of shadows not being dark enough was a pretty bad example...... I think it'll be a while before RT graduates from being just a novelty. Cube maps, reflection maps, bump maps, etc all had to go through this period, but I think they had much greater visual impact in their times.

DXR is out today. The games are coming today. DX12 maturity and DXR will be substantially better in 2020. Developers will be ready to support

This. Even if RTX is nVIDIA's technology it is supported by a backbone standard. Plus nVIDIA has pretty much a monopoly in the PC Gaming space and this console generation is on its way out. This will definitely be adopted, especially as it might simplify developers work in the long term ("it just works" like Hensen could not stop saying).

I'm probably being overly dismissive right now but the tech feels too immature to me a the moment but here's the NV BFV video if anyone else wants a gander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back