Cant delete files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davros

Legend
yA57vUw.jpg

I am that user and i cant change permissions everything is greyed out for all users
Take ownership doesnt help
wS1JR6R.jpg

Last edited:
Does that directory contain data that came from another windows installation that had the same username?

Download Linux live usb. Then delete it from Linux.

Theoretically you should be able to properly take ownership of thst file but sometimes windows is weird. I personally have met many cases like that in the past and deleting from Ubuntu is the only solution.

Although sometime it's actually a corrupted disk. Need to force check scandisk /f. Then the file will dissappear next boot or you will be able to delete it

1. Start → My Computer → Right-click → Manage gets you to the Computer Management console
  2. In the left nav, navigate to Systems Tools → Shared Folders
  3. You can view Shares, Sessions & Open Files here. This allows you to find out who has opened which files from which workstations.
  4. Right-click on an item in the list to be able to remove the file lock.

If the above doesn't help, try running explorer.exe as admin (right-click and run as admin) and then delete.

Edit: wait, I think you need modify permission to be able to delete. Why not take full control and then try?

Last edited:
brit i'm not on a network, have no sessions or open files
bludd all permissions are greyed out (see my second pic, first post)

Right, but locks can still happen locally, but now you verified the file is not locked so you can discard that as the cause.

Try this:
1. Right click on file ->properties
2. Security tab will say something like "you must have permissions blabla" ->click Advanced button on the bottom of the window
3. Advanced security will pop up and at the top will say either Owner: (some weird owner name here) or Owner: Unable to display current owner
4. Click change next to the owner line
5. Select user group window will pop up
6. Click advanced on the bottom -> new window will pop up -> click Find Now on the right
7. List of users and groups will pop up ->select administrators and click OK
8. Click OK again to select administrator group
9. Click Apply and then OK
10. You will get pop up msg that will tell you that you have taken ownership of this file (but you are not done yet).
11. Close all windows
12. Right click your file ->properties ->security tab ->advanced button.
13. Advanced security will pop up and now in the Permissions tab click Continue button.
14 Now use Add button and in the top line you will see Principal: select principal ->click on that
15 You will be asked to select user or group so repeat steps 6 to 8
16. Make sure to mark: full control in the Basic permissions section, click OK, then Apply, then OK, OK.

Voila!

brit i'm not on a network, have no sessions or open files
bludd all permissions are greyed out (see my second pic, first post)
It may be inheriting permissions from the folder it is in, change permissions there?

ive used the take ownsership menu
Def is that what your instructions do or do I still need to follow them ?

You're inheriting only read & execute permissions from E:
Try enabling modify permission directly on E:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back