Console Exclusives: Significance and Impact *spinoff*

Pretty sure we landed that the quantity of exclusives has never been the driver for these discussions.
It's largely been how many GOTY exclusives/system sellers in the library that is largely driving that discussion.

For the majority of the buyers, that list is fairly meaningless outside of the major AAA titles.

Having a larger quantity of AAA exclusives increases the chances of landing award-winning blockbusters. Taking into consideration that 1st and 2nd-party studios can't afford to be a Rockstar North or Blizzard with unlimited budget and time until their games come out (exclusives partially exist to promote a platform and if the game takes too long to release then it misses this target), it's always an exercise of how much/well a team can do within a relatively small time frame. And this seems to be a hit-and-miss for almost any dev team out there.

I "think" Bungie owns the IP, but don't quote me on that.

It belongs to Bungie but some rumors are starting to point to the Destiny IP being sold to Activision, with Bungie being bought by a chinese venture capital.

Last edited by a moderator:
It belongs to Bungie but some rumors are starting to point to the Destiny IP being sold to Activision, with Bungie being bought by a chinese venture capital.

Bungie is mostly privately owned, so they can only be bought if they want to be bought.

Am I the only one who finds it kind of funny how the last few pages of the thread about exclusives being conversations about third-party multi-platform developers?

Yes and I bet Activision and Bungie are happy about that money. I do not think Destiny series was a train wreck. Question is, did it live up to the expectations of Activision/Bungie?

I believe Destiny did. It sold well, DLC sold well, the expansion sold well, and gamers were always vocal about wanting more.

Destiny 2, OTOH, is a trainwreck. Many people that played Destiny one almost religiously no longer play Destiny 2. A lot of people like me bought Destiny 2 deluxe version which included the Season pass. Many people like me, haven't even bothered to download the 2nd DLC.

Some of the former Destiny players that no longer play Destiny 2 are hoping the expansion fixes the game, but many also either don't care or are not hopeful that the expansion will fix any of the player's concerns.

If Destiny 2 had just been Destiny with better graphics and a new story, it likely would still be as popular. But Bungie (or Activision) wanted to make it more casual. As a result a lot of people got bored with it really fast. I'm fairly certain that whatever casual players they picked up hasn't been able to replace the revenue generated by many of the Destiny 1 fans that have basically abandoned the franchise.

Basically Bungie failed to with Destiny what CoD does. Continue to give players what they want. Instead, in trying to attract players who didn't play Destiny, they alienated a lot of players that loved Destiny.

Regards,
SB

What's the data for 'died'? The Destiny game thread here has 4,600 posts, second only to a GT5 thread that's been running for twice as long.

And for the Taken King, this little note:
Two days after its release, Sony announced that The Taken King had broke the record for the most-downloaded day-one game in PlayStation history, in terms of both total players and peak online concurrency.[1]

Not saying you're wrong, but everything piece of evidence I see suggests fans stuck with it and Destiny made lots of money for years after release.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/destiny-2/destiny-2-daily-population-tracker

just know what I read and watch , doesn't sound like its doing well

I believe Destiny did. It sold well, DLC sold well, the expansion sold well, and gamers were always vocal about wanting more.

Destiny 2, OTOH, is a trainwreck. Many people that played Destiny one almost religiously no longer play Destiny 2.

Arguably not true anymore. The game seems to have rebounded quite a lot (and probably was never as bad off as some claimed anyway) Indicators:

I haven't checked but People on Era saying D2's been over a million PVE players per day lately. Quite impressive before even the Forsaken expansion hits.

Traffic to the subreddit seems higher than at any point in D1. I recall 11.2k browsing it the other day. I dont think D1 normally ever got close to that. Now, I dont think D2 is that much more popular than D1 so my hypothesis would be the subreddit has been discovered by more people more than more people are playing D2 than D1, but who knows and still impressive.

Twitch numbers have also seen rebounds.

Best selling games of the past 12 months (USA), it ranks 3rd behind COD WW2 and NBA 2K18 https://venturebeat.com/2018/08/01/...nnis-aces-serves-up-a-smash-hit-for-nintendo/

Who knows the total fiscal picture but it wouldn't surprise me at all if D2 is pretty successful. It had a player retention issue early on, but that's different than sales or MTX (for example, The Division had a lot of unit sales but did not retain it's population nearly as well as Destiny) , and seems to be being corrected.

Last edited:
Yeah Destiny 2 is far from a trainwreck. It just has a very toxic community and there are a lot of people that love to hate the game.

Destiny 2 sales are strong and the player base overall is quite large. The PVP player base has definitely taken a pretty big hit, and they are probably the most vocal people, hence why it seems to be doing bad. But they're making it fun again. Most of the big name PVP streamers are starting to play again.

Back