Minecraft, Rocket League, Fortnite, etc CrossPlay on every Platform but Sony because...

Given Epic FAQs the only crossplay Sony supports is the PC. Mobile and NSW support seems to be limited to the XB.

Anyway, my assertion is Sony required that no purchases through Sony’s store could be used on competing platforms (outside of the PC) and Epic simply used a lockout mechanism because it has no way to discriminate the point of origin for purchases.

For all platforms to coexist on the same Epic account and satisfy the before mentioned requirement by Sony, Epic would need a way to parse purchases in terms of their origin and then have a permission system in place so no items purchase through Sony’s store could be used on select competing platforms.

A lockout mechanism is a lot easier to implement if the current system was never designed to accommodate varying platform specific compatibility demands.

Without knowing the specifics of Sony's ToS, though, it's just an assumption on your part that this "parsing" would be enough to satisfy them. Epic's response doesn't indicate it's just a matter of implementation on their end and Sony haven't said anything to contradict their statements so far. This in itself is not confirmation of Epic having their hands completely tied, but until someone else does it successfully I consider it reasonable to assume it's not possible.

Without knowing the specifics of Sony's ToS, though, it's just an assumption on your part that this "parsing" would be enough to satisfy them. Epic's response doesn't indicate it's just a matter of implementation on their end and Sony haven't said anything to contradict their statements so far. This in itself is not confirmation of Epic having their hands completely tied, but until someone else does it successfully I consider it reasonable to assume it's not possible.

Yes, it’s an assumption on my part but so is the insinuation that it’s all dictated by Sony.

Platform lockout doesn’t seem to exist on Rockstar Social, Activision, Uplay and EA services. My Rockstar Social account houses both my PSN and Xbox Live accounts. Progress/content restrictions across platforms is common across all publisher based service accounts. Platform lockout is not.

And I haven’t really seen any response by Epic.

Last edited:
Yes, it’s an assumption on my part but so is the insinuation that it’s all dictated by Sony.

Platform lockout doesn’t seem to exist on Rockstar Social, Activision, Uplay and EA services. My Rockstar Social account houses both my PSN and Xbox Live accounts. Progress/content restrictions across platforms is common across all publisher based service accounts. Platform lockout is not.

And I haven’t really seen any response by Epic.

This is why I couldn't understand the anger directed completely at Sony...it doesn't appear a black and white issue at all.

What's happening is out of order, but the whole title 'Sony hate cross play' seems wrong to me.

This issue seems to be because whoever implemented the controls did not expect/factor in this scenario.

This is why I couldn't understand the anger directed completely at Sony...it doesn't appear a black and white issue at all.

What's happening is out of order, but the whole title 'Sony hate cross play' seems wrong to me.

This issue seems to be because whoever implemented the controls did not expect/factor in this scenario.

Wait. Let's not conflate two separate things here. Sony indisputably "hate" cross-play between PS4 and non-Sony consoles. There's no doubt or room for interpretation of that fact. The only thing in question is whether the mechanism where Epic prevents Fortnite accounts from ever being linked with a competitor's console once it has been linked on PS4 is something that Epic could work around or whether something in Sony's ToS make it completely impossible for Fortnite specifically.

The Fortnite issue sees blame fixed squarely at Sony due to correlation. Sony are anti-cross play with other consoles. Fortnite doesn't allow cross-linked accounts between consoles when using PSN. Ergo, it's Sony's fault. Now if it's not Sony's fault, neither company has been vocal in explaining WTF is going on. TBH even if Sony aren't to blame, I think it fair to hurl abuse at them until they do something, even if just clarify it's Epic being stupid, so that something gets done. If everyone just looks at everyone else and shrugs, nothing will get fixed.

Bethesda saying Sony's locking out of cross-platform gaming (in their case seamless transition of mid-game progress) is Bad News. Plus this point from EG on Fortnite...
It's a situation Epic has found itself in. Fortnite not only prevents PlayStation 4 and other console audiences playing together, it also prevents PS4 Fortnite accounts being used on other consoles. It means all your Battle Pass progress - and all the skins and emotes and sprays you've collected during your time playing the game - are inaccessible on another console if you've ever logged into Fortnite on PS4. If you want to play on Switch or Xbox - platforms which support cross-play with one another - you need to create a new account.

It's not the first time Sony has been singled out as the cross-play party pooper. A year ago it was Rocket League and Minecraft highlighting the issue, and Sony wouldn't budge, and now it's Fortnite and still Sony won't budge, although Shawn Layden told me earlier this summer Sony was "looking at a lot of the possibilities".

If Fortnite, the biggest game in the world, cannot change Sony's mind, what hope will The Elder Scrolls Legends have?
So more pointing fingers at Sony. If it's not them, they should say so!

Ok, I'll get back in my box. I just seem to recall last gen Sony were pro cross play and MS were anti. I guess it's a case of whoever is on top?

Sorry for my total lack of understanding...it just doesn't affect me so it's hard fully grasp it, initially I just thought it meant playing against different consoles, then that it was just items you bought were locked to PS4.

Last gen, Sony were cross-play with PC; MS were closed. Sony remains cross-play with PC, and mobile it seems, but refuse cross-play with other consoles (XBox and Switch) while MS and Nintendo (yes, Nintendo! Allowing their precious audience to be subjected to the Neanderthal thuggery of the less-evolved online gamers) are okay with cross-play between all devices. It's Sony dragging their feet this time.

Last gen, Sony were cross-play with PC; MS were closed. Sony remains cross-play with PC, and mobile it seems, but refuse cross-play with other consoles (XBox and Switch) while MS and Nintendo (yes, Nintendo! Allowing their precious audience to be subjected to the Neanderthal thuggery of the less-evolved online gamers) are okay with cross-play between all devices. It's Sony dragging their feet this time.

Maybe there's some history and MS stuck 2 fingers up at Sony (because MS were established and Sony just starting out) and now the shoe is in the other foot (etc).

Be interesting to see what Sony do.

Maybe there's some history and MS stuck 2 fingers up at Sony (because MS were established and Sony just starting out) and now the shoe is in the other foot (etc).

Be interesting to see what Sony do.

Maybe Phil Spencer told John Kodera that a high-level executive having multiple names was kinda weird and Shuntaro Furukawa laughed
so "Tsuyoshi" is mandating no cross-play with MS or Nintendo ever!

What? It's possible. Maybe it's not just about Sony protecting their money and it's really MS and Nintendo's fault that Sony won't allow cross-play. :yep2:

What has changed to make MS change their stance? I mean, if MS were the same this gen as last I guess they'd be no issue because it'd be ''the norm'? Or maybe last gen MS were simply trying to do what Sony are doing now but because online wasn't as popular it never became an issue?

I'm not defending Sony, I just think this sounds a little like double standards and MS are fircfor the issue and negative pressure on Sony.

What has changed to make MS change their stance? I mean, if MS were the same this gen as last I guess they'd be no issue because it'd be ''the norm'? Or maybe last gen MS were simply trying to do what Sony are doing now but because online wasn't as popular it never became an issue?

I'm not defending Sony, I just think this sounds a little like double standards and MS are fircfor the issue and negative pressure on Sony.
Policies change. Cross-platform wasn't a huge thing back at the beginning of PS360 and these platforms were being run with a view to maintaining a walled garden. Then MS wanted to expand beyond XBox consoles to a PC-wide ecosystem, so they want to get people playing across devices - makes no difference to them whether items are bought on an XB console or on Windows as long as it's through MS's ecosystem. Locking out other platforms will help keep the money coming in if your a monopoly, but if you're just a part player, you antagonise your audience that has no platform allegiances and just wants their content on whatever device they have to hand.

Sony considers itself the top-dog in the console space, but they're a bit part in the wider multiplat landscape that encompasses billions of devices. And TBH the number of people who will have both XB/NSW and PS4 is going to be quite limited, so Sony are generating a lot of negative PR for protecting a small part of their revenue. As others say, be the platform of choice. I guess NSW poses the biggest threat as people are more likely to want that and PS4 than XB1 and PS4, and on the go offers more chances for spontaneous spending on items mid-game.

Satya Nadella took over as CEO of Microsoft in 2014, after the launch of Xbox One. His philosophy for Microsoft and how it should grow and earn revenues is totally different than Steve Ballmer's. Don Mattrick was also the president of the Xbox Division until after the launch of Xbox One, and Phil Spencer only took over in 2014. So, yes, policies can change when people in the highest executive positions change.

Policies change. Cross-platform wasn't a huge thing back at the beginning of PS360 and these platforms were being run with a view to maintaining a walled garden.

This is nonsense, if Xbox was at 80 million plus sold and Sony was at 35 million sold the roles would be reversed.
It's all about the money and if people can't see the advantage of having such a big advantage of having a much larger player base. I just don't know what to say about that.

If little Timmy wants to play fortnight but wants a Xbox but all his friends have it on PS4 his going to get it on PS4. Why would Sony allow any different? Unless sales drop dramatically because of bad press and it looks like it hasn't it's a no brainer.

This is nonsense
Which part? That cross-platform was a huge thing at the beginning of last gen, or that these platforms (PS3 and XB360) weren't being run with a view to maintaining a walled garden and ensuring players use their stores?

The Epic situation is unique. It’s a combination of the crossplay issue, which is common for any game trying to offer the feature, and the restriction of cross compatibility of content in which the user is not readily informed.

You link your PC account to a PS4 account and all your PC content is restricted to either the PS4, mobile or PC. Link a XB or NSW to your PC account and your PC content is restricted from use on your PS4.

All Epic does in its FAQs is state that your Xbox, NSW and PS4 will work with a certain set devices. It literally does nothing to inform the PC users that their actions may restrict their ability to share content across devices in a permanent fashion.

Epic’s lockout mechanism basically allows console platforms to extend their wall gardens around the users’ PC/mobile Fortnite content.

It is ass backwards for a company to operate in such a fashion. No one wants to find out about the consequences of their choices after the fact. How does Epic not find this important enough to update their FAQs? And no company should allow another company to dictate to the point of it being a disservice to the consumer.

You can blame Sony for being the instigator of the overall situation. You can’t blame Sony for Epic’s lackluster effort to inform its customers of the restrictions and mechanisms involved.

Last edited:
:oops:
Which part? That cross-platform was a huge thing at the beginning of last gen, or that these platforms (PS3 and XB360) weren't being run with a view to maintaining a walled garden and ensuring players use their stores?

The part where it's anything other than Xbox allowing crossplay with other consoles because of the situation they find themselves in where they have half or less market share than there competition. Last gen they didn't allow crossplay because they were in a good place with there numbers.

It was late last night when I wrote that post and after reading your entire post again I see that's more or less what you alluded to. Proof that lack of sleep can turn someone into an imbecile.

Yea I'm not sure why they talk on this topic. They know their position, anything that they say on this particular topic always ends up negative for them. We all know why they won't do it, so it makes sense to not talk about it and keep it swept under the rug.

Back