Firefox - No More Tab Groups [2015 - 2019]

So how are people coping?
Anyone found a reasonable alternate & relatively easy transition?

Edit: apparently the hide tabs API is finished in Experimental state for FF59.

Oh and apparently its actually possible to enable Legacy extensions in FF57 afterall!!!
about:config has extensions.legacy.enabled which is default false -> set true & restart browser.
(Maybe a bit more complex than that to get it going, some references to having to use a beta version to do it which I don't understand)
Haven't tried it yet but someone mentioned it in a Tab-Groups thread indicating TabGroups does work with it in FF57 :)

Apparently that option is being killed with FF59 though :(

experimental Tabgroups addon for FF59, dunno if any good
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/basic-panorama/

Last edited:
At least some of the necessary APIs for reimplementing the lost functionality is (in an experimental state) targeted for Firefox 59.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2018/01/26/extensions-firefox-59/
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1423725

There are some promising extensions actively in development, but I haven't looked at their current state lately. Hopefully one of them (or some other) will mature when (if?) the needed support has rolled out and they can more easily be deployed to end users.

Last edited:
Still running 56.0.2 with No Script in full lockdown and no fucking ads.

Except (as is the case on my main PC) presumably the endless ads/nags that your browser is critically out of date? :)

I upgraded the version on my laptop to the latest on the promise it was faster but, frankly, it's just traded one process with a large memory footprint for several processes. I doubt the overall memory usage has come down by any significant amount and it now seems it takes ages for a new tab to open/download/render.

Last edited:
Except (as is the case on my main PC) presumably the endless nags that your browser is critically out of date? :)

I upgraded the version on my laptop to the latest on the promise it was faster but, frankly, it's just traded one process with a large memory footprint for several processes. I doubt the overall memory usage has come down by any significant amount and it now seems it takes ages for a new tab to open/download/render.
This is opposite to what I have observed, the new (quantum) Firefox is faster to open new tabs and is faster to start up with a lot of tabs open. I don't really care about memory consumption, though so ymmv.

Except (as is the case on my main PC) presumably the endless ads/nags that your browser is critically out of date? :)
I turned off update checks...

I have a new VM at work and I'm going to experiment (at some point) with moving a profile from old VM with hundreds of useful tabs to new one to see if I can make those tabs work.

Yeah I'm still on 56.02 with updates disabled also but still get the out of date warnings.
But I do want to move on to the newer tech which ironically is intended to deal with lots of tabs better.

So I've still been on 56.02, now with Firefox having a dumb screwup with addons I'm feeling the need to switch up to newer version.
Tab-Groups is actually still working but its several others like Adblock that are broken.

Whats the score, have any of the above proved a reliable, functional Tab-Groups alternative?

Its my understanding that when you upgrade Firefox all the Groups disappear, then you need to install addon & it somehow finds them?

Good luck!
I'm too scared of some kind of irreversible screw-up & don't have a spare machine/VM to mess with.

I'm too scared of some kind of irreversible screw-up
You can run the different release channel editions of Firefox side by side, so you could use beta or ESR to experiment with newer builds without messing up your current install.

They still share profiles, though.

If you prefer the newer FF not to pick up your existing profile, which could cause some annoyances and potential issues, try a portable version.

Also: https://blog.nightly.mozilla.org/2019/01/14/moving-to-a-profile-per-install-architecture/

Last edited:
Back