What are you playing now? [2018-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uncharted 3. I'm liking it more, now. And the game is beautiful! Lots of subpixel detail, haha. I like the new animations and the slight tilting of the camera.

Assassin's Creed II. The IQ improved a lot over the original game, since the image is way more clear, and the textures are superhigh-res, most of the time (I can't notice one single texel in buildings). However, color in current time sections looks more... saturated. I don't think it's precisely better than the previous game, in this aspect. Maybe I loved way too much the artistic direction in the previous game.

Last edited:
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. From a game design perspective it's as close to perfection as games like these come I'd say. Lovely and very lavish presentation as well. I'm really enjoying it. That said, to my own surprise I'm not really loving it. That certain special something on which I cannot quite put my finger, that special something elevating a game like Mario Odyssey beyond the sum of its mechanics and presentation, well it's just not there. Tropical Freeze is cold, calculated jump and run perfection without much of a pulse. Also, when you look past the impressive tech wizardry Rare accomplished way back when on the SNES, the character designs just look rather generic, stupid and a little unappealing. At least to me.

Here's hoping Nintendo is gonna task Retro with something special like Metroid Prime sooner rather than later. I cannot help but feel like the talent of these guys is wasted on recreating 20-year-old mascot platformers.

Last edited:
Yakuza 0 finally released...and it is glorious...as a game.

A few niggles. Mouse and keyboard seem mostly fine so far. The big thing is how will it be once QTEs start, which I haven't gotten to yet as I'm just exploring and taking in the atmosphere. Reminds me a lot of the 80's in Tokyo, which isn't surprising as that is where the game is set. They did a masterful job of recreating the feel and mood of the city. Brings back so much nostalgia of so many things (bar row, naughty shops, all the neon, modernity mixed with old stuff, etc.).

Anyway, back to the controls, the one big niggle is that there is mouse acceleration on the camera controls, which takes a bit of getting used to. [edit] The mouse acceleration is actually quite bad. I think they just mapped the console analog controls to mouse camera movement. It's really annoying.

Graphical settings are decent but some glaring and almost unforgivable omissions. You can't disable certain things like DOF, which is a sin for a PC game, IMO. There's an in game FPS counter which is great and I wish more games had. 4k runs fine at 60 FPS on a 1070, but I run mine in a 3200x1800 window. I may try the in game SSAA option later to see how it handles that.

So, far the port seems quite good. KOEI could learn a thing or two from the this (their Dynasty Warrior ports are...not so good :p). Wish I could disable that DOF though, it's such an eye sore.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Forza Horizon 2 a bit. Just went back to Tomb Raider (the second one), not sure if I can carry on, I'm in the Russian snow area. I have so many games I can't find one to sink my teeth into. I guess I'll just wait for Spider-man and drift from game to game until then.

Forza Horizon 2 a bit. Just went back to Tomb Raider (the second one), not sure if I can carry on, I'm in the Russian snow area. I have so many games I can't find one to sink my teeth into. I guess I'll just wait for Spider-man and drift from game to game until then.
Just for a second I thought that you were referring to Tomb Raider II. XD

- - - - -

Uncharted 3. I just completed the ship chapter and oh, the graphics... I spent a good couple of minutes watching the waves in the seaport. Mesmering. :D Also, the water in the ship part was amazing, especially when the ship turns over and you can see the ocean water through the glass ceiling of the main hall.

Great to hear a good impression about the Yakuza game. I will have to pick it up!

Yeah, my only complaints about the game are the keyboard and mouse controls. You can't rebind the QTE keybinds, for example. A non-issue for controller users, though.

One thing that is extremely nice compared to the PS4 version, however, is that saving the game is instant rather than taking what feels like a minute on PS4. And that's even with cloud saving which I'm assuming the PS4 is also doing.

Loving the game.

Regards,
SB

I beat Uncharted 3. I liked it.

I played it knowing that much people said that it was prettier than Uncharted 2 but worse, as well. I don't see it this way, though. I think that both games are good on their own. This game blew me away so many times (I already shared here some of those moments, but then again when I saw the desert canyons and the lost city I was amazed). Story-wise, I liked it too, since it delved more into Drake's story with Sully... And Elena.

I just heard the word "icicle" and I instantly thought of Tomb Raider II (the classic one, a true Tomb Raider, you know). I want to play it again so bad!! :D

I think that I will shamelessly put aside some titles of my current backlog just to beat it again. :love:

Fallout 4, again. It's only my 2nd run, after my 2016 runs. With my new gpu, I can enable the hd texture pack, some tweaks, etc, it's still a very pretty game.

Side question, do you know if Fallout 3 runs ok on Windows 10 ?

I bought AC:O for my X and restarted it. I had previous played a few hours on my PC. I'm not sure why I wanted to play it again, I'm a sucker for open world games I guess :(

Wifey is playing Horizon: Zero Dawn again, and I've been playing a bit with her. The game is doubly depressing for me: the back story and earth's rendezvous with fate was pretty horrific (though unrealistic). And during our original playthrough March last year we also had to put down one of our animals. I can't disconnect that memory with the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back