How much will Insomniac's Spider-Man game sell? *spawn

How many lifetime units do you think Insomniac's Spider-Man game will sell?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xbat

Veteran
So what do you guys think about Spidermans sales potential? I'm thinking if it gets 90 or close to on metacritic it's got a good chance of hitting 8 million.

A good game should sell as well as HZD or GoW. Add in the Spider-Man franchise, it should do incredibly well.

So what do you guys think about Spidermans sales potential? I'm thinking if it gets 90 or close to on metacritic it's got a good chance of hitting 8 million.
Depends if people are tired of SpiderMan. Several years go, I'd be going crazy over it. But after so many reboots of his movies. I've lost most of my care for him. I'd rather play other characters at this point in time. Seem more interesting.

Depends if people are tired of SpiderMan. Several years go, I'd be going crazy over it. But after so many reboots of his movies. I've lost most of my care for him. I'd rather play other characters at this point in time. Seem more interesting.

Game wise though, when was the last decent Spiderman? Also, super heroes seems to be flavour of the month...I know my son (20yo) is really excited for this game.

Depends if people are tired of SpiderMan.
Is there evidence to think they are, ignoring you're own position? There hasn't been a great Spidey game in years, and the new movie reboots seem popular. Tom Holland's film has grossed as much as the classic Toby Macquire reboot in much less time (but inflation etc). Interest in the game trailers on YT are in the many millions - quick research shows HZD had trailers catching 6-7 million, and DadOfWar has a 19 million viewed 2016 trailer; some Spider-Man trailers are above 15 million views, with one shown on Marvel's channel at 35 million.

I'm not seeing much public apathy for the franchise - you'll need to come up with a more convincing argument than, "I'm not interested so I'm not sure anyone else is." :p (For the record, I'm not interested)

Anectodal evidence says all my coworkers dislike Spider-Man because of the massive failures Sony has had with the movies especially because every N years they make a movie regardless of quality just to keep the movie rights. How that translates to a good game remains to be seen.

Is there evidence to think they are, ignoring you're own position?
Game wise though, when was the last decent Spiderman? Also, super heroes seems to be flavour of the month...I know my son (20yo) is really excited for this game.
Yea don't get me wrong. I absolutely think it will sell and score very well.

I was really just responding to the only thing I could think of that would make the game less than world record breaking, general apathy towards the character/content was just about the only thing I could think of.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with Sony having the exclusive rights to the movie and the game...

I'm sure it has nothing to do with Sony having the exclusive rights to the movie and the game...
That’s extremely petty.
I’m 36 with 3 children and grew up with spider man cartoons and the movies.
I can have my own opinion on being bored with Spider-Man stories after Spider-Man 3 with Toby without this needing to degrade to you claiming my dislike for spider man 3 has to do with console wars.

As much as I love Batman, I stopped playing them after Arkham asylum. That was enough for me.

But please do continue attacking the person and not the post as your Primary argument.

Anectodal evidence says all my coworkers dislike Spider-Man because of the massive failures Sony has had with the movies especially because every N years they make a movie regardless of quality just to keep the movie rights. How that translates to a good game remains to be seen.
The latest spiderman has 92% on rottentomatoes.
It made 880 million box office.
The spiderman brand is very strong.
Insomniac have a long history of high quality games.

Your anecdote is bad and your should feel bad.

Anectodal evidence says all my coworkers dislike Spider-Man because of the massive failures Sony has had with the movies
Toby Macguire was great. The 'Amazing Spiderman' films were pointless and milking. Tom Holland's Spidey is pretty great and different too - best thing in Avengers Civil War. So Sony's track record isn't massive failures, but a middle-period slump with a pointless reboot between some really good movies.
How that translates to a good game remains to be seen.
Shouldn't have any baring as the game is designed and made by Insomniac games and not Sony Pictures. ;) There are plenty of very positive early previews saying such as, "this is the Spidey game you've been waiting for."

I can't see it doing less than 4 million. I suppose the real deciding factor will be how well it shows on streaming and YT, whether there's enough viral propagation to hit the mega mainstream. HZD may not have had a top-loaded franchise like Spider-Man, but it benefited massively from being a new experience with beautiful robot dinosaurs. If Spider-Man creates engaging streams, it should do better than HZD and GOW. As I say, looking at the bigger picture (which is pretty visible) instead of local anecdotal evidence, Spider-Man is as significant a franchise as it's ever been.

Toby Macguire was great. The 'Amazing Spiderman' films were pointless and milking. Tom Holland's Spidey is pretty great and different too - best thing in Avengers Civil War. So Sony's track record isn't massive failures, but a middle-period slump with a pointless reboot between some really good movies.

Tom Holland's Spider Man is the dumbest of them all. Even 12-year-olds are too old for the movie's stupid jokes. "The stupid teeny spider from the neighborhood" is the most fitting saying I ever heard about the movie.

I'm sure the game will sell very well. Just look at the numbers on YOuTube.

The latest spiderman has 92% on rottentomatoes.
It made 880 million box office.

Yes, but the others were entirely burned out by the decades of horrible Sony SpiderMan films before the current one.

Spider-Man 2 (2004) was the last good Spider-Man 2 game as long as you're not talking about the awful PC port. Activision has been doing a disservice to this franchise which is why they no longer have a licence for it. That said, Sony's Andrew Garfield reboot films weren't good either. However Tom Holland has rekindled in interest in Spider-Man an interesting character, he was fantastic in his Civil War cameo, great in Homecoming and pretty good in Infinity War.

I think you may be confusing Activision's licensing agreement with Sony's licence. Activision did have to produce regular games to hold the licence but Sony bought the lock-stock films rights from Marvel in 1999 for $7 million, which it had only just received from some ancient 1980s licensing sale. Marvel weren't in a great position financially at either time.

I'm glad Sony [the movie company] has learn that it's useful to collaborate with Marvel on their own properties and Spider-Man's appeal is presumably why Marvel were so desperate to get Spider-Man into the MCU with Civil War and Infinity War. Having MCU characters like Tony Stark and Pepper Potts in Sony's Homecoming was unexpected. It's good when everybody can play nice together. :yep2:

Those would be irrelevant. Past films represent past brand value. Current films represent current brand value.

Spider-Man..

latest

Shouldn't have any baring as the game is designed and made by Insomniac games and not Sony Pictures. ;) There are plenty of very positive early previews saying such as, "this is the Spidey game you've been waiting for."

I can't see it doing less than 4 million. I suppose the real deciding factor will be how well it shows on streaming and YT, whether there's enough viral propagation to hit the mega mainstream. HZD may not have had a top-loaded franchise like Spider-Man, but it benefited massively from being a new experience with beautiful robot dinosaurs. If Spider-Man creates engaging streams, it should do better than HZD and GOW. As I say, looking at the bigger picture (which is pretty visible) instead of local anecdotal evidence, Spider-Man is as significant a franchise as it's ever been.

Plus, box office flops/failures can be offset by other positive factors (i.e., TV animation series, Netflix/Prime streaming series, comics, prior games, etc.) that can drive purchase decisions. The latest DC movie universe (outside of Wonder Woman and Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy) has been mediocre at best. However, DC has other positive factors as mentioned above, on driving gamers towards games like the Injustice and Batman Arkham series (even rumors of Rocksteady rebooting the Superman gaming universe because gamers want a good Sup's game). Marvel's Spider-Man is no different...

Last edited:
Tom Holland's Spider Man is the dumbest of them all...
You're the first person I've heard say as much. So let's put all personal opinions aside and enquire on public perception. What do people think of Tom Holland's Spidey?

http://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/celebrity-tom-holland-voted-best-spider-man-20180502
"Well, apparently he's your favourite, having been voted the best Spider-Man in a LADbible poll by taking 47 percent of the vote."
12,000 people voted.

Then we have the user ratings for Homecoming at Rotten Tomatoes that give it an 88%.

Again, I see no evidence that the wider public is disenfranchised with SM. Quite the contrary. It's very much now for those Holland-haters to present evidence that the SM franchise is weakened after the latest film and game sales will be affected accordingly.

Those would be irrelevant. Past films represent past brand value. Current films represent current brand value.

The game is obvioulsly coming out during a period where the brand is very strong.

Way to completely miss the point just because it doesn't match with your view of reality.

Back