Formula 1 - 2018 Season

Clarified as in "I need to cover my ass because while Bottas is most definitely the second driver, it doesn't work very well for PR".

But you keep telling yourself otherwise, the facts speak for itself.

Oh and where are your rants about Bottas crashing into into others? You are always very quick to judge other drivers.
Just photoshop the '77' to '44' in an image of Vettel cutting across the front of Bottas just as they collided. Within seconds you'll have a response claiming that the '44' driver should be banned from the sport for not backing off and letting the driver in front take the line he wants to take, as is his right.

Replace Vettels car with Hamiltons, and you'll get a response within seconds claiming that Hamilton should be banned from the sport for crowding another driver off the road, not giving them the appropriate amount of space when they were significantly alongside etc. etc.

I really wish we could make Kaotik watch F1 with the car/driver identities stripped, and he is only allowed to know who is involved after he has published an un-editable opinion about which driver he believes to be at fault.

Oh and where are your rants about Bottas crashing into into others? You are always very quick to judge other drivers.
I think the penalty from the 2nd crash was pretty much justified, though I wouldn't put it 100% to Bottas' fault either. No penalty for either from the 1st crash was pretty logical too, the space Vettel gave him (or lack there of) would have been enough if Bottas had even half the grip you should have

Won't affect the driver markets a lot though, as Sainz will no doubt return to home at Red Bull and take Ricciardos spot.
Hopefully Honda can offer better power unit than Renault next season, I want to see his face when Red Bulls are passing him left and right while he's stuck at Renault for 2 years because he wouldn't agree to stay on Red Bull for 2 years, instead demanding just 1 year contract

Well Daniel's move seems misstimed if done purely for performance reasons; the big regulation changes happen by 2021 so it's at least an year earlier .

So my theory is that there are other reasons besides that. Hence he shouldn't feel all that upset if passed by a succesful RBR - Honda

A Mercedes 'B' team? Like Red Bull and Toro Rosso?
Three of Formula 1's biggest names - McLaren, Williams and Renault - have been concerned about a potential sale to Stroll.

The teams are worried that Force India, which uses Mercedes engines, could effectively became a Mercedes 'B' team.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula-one/45105296

Interesting tidbit ...
Force India are appealing to a potential buyer because they finished fourth in the championship last year and are arguably the best pound-for-pound team in F1, on the basis of what they have achieved considering their resources.

But, as such, they are also entitled to large amounts of prize money and powerful voting rights - both of which are attractive to a new owner.

However, a buyer will only get these if the transfer of ownership is approved by all the other teams. If not, they are effectively starting from scratch without the benefits, and buying only Force India's 400 staff and assets.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45026461

Last edited:
Seems like Fernando's done with F1 after this year.

However, per the BBC:

In his statement confirming he would retire at the end of this season, he suggested there may be a chance of him one day returning.

"I want to thank everyone at McLaren," he said. "My heart is with the team forever.

"I know they will come back stronger and better in the future and it could be the right moment for me to be back in the series; that would make me really happy."

Yeah, but I'm not holding my breath. At least DannyRic is still going strong, let's see where Renault are next year (spend monies on PU plox, Renault. Enstone, do what you do best)

https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00294

Spa this weekend, possibility for rain. Force India gone but Racing Point Force India has been granted an entry, with 0 points, and 0 dollars in prize money edit: racefans is reporting that the other teams have voted to let Racing Point keep column 1 money. There must have been some liabilities connected with the original legal entity which they weren't thrilled with (probably Vijay Mallya-related but that is pure speculation on my part), but they were also blocked by some teams fearing this was becoming a Mercedes B-team.

Who knows, at least the team is still a going concern even though Bob Fearnley (deputy team principal under Mallya) is out (probably too close to Mallya). Otmar Szafnauer is now team principal and CEO.

Also Joe writes about the silly season, who will end up where for 2019 (or even during 2018). I think Stoffel is out at McLaren, but I don't know who will partner Sainz there. I think Kimi is safe at Ferrari (due to Marchionne's tragic death) and because Vettel wants him there. I think Lance Stroll is probably going to Racing Point (though it doesn't look all that good for Lance that his dad had to buy a whole racing team for him, but let's see what he can do in a - presumably - faster car). I think Grosjean is out at Haas and that Leclerc will replace him.

Last edited:
Spa this weekend, possibility for rain. Force India gone but Racing Point Force India has been granted an entry, with 0 points, and 0 dollars in prize money. There must have been some liabilities connected with the original legal entity which they weren't thrilled with (probably Vijay Mallya-related but that is pure speculation on my part), but they were also blocked by some teams fearing this was becoming a Mercedes B-team

Force India had $208 million in debt to their parent holding company. Possible price money where in the $150-$210 range, dependent on season's result.

Cheers

Force India had $208 million in debt to their parent holding company. Possible price money where in the $150-$210 range, dependent on season's result.

Cheers
Yeah, but do we know that for sure? It's plausible, but it's Mallya ...

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/0...-911-restoration-turns-williams-f1-engineers/

While not strictly F1 related, it is pretty neat.

I'd love to see Porsche in F1. I'm not a big fan of Porsche or anything, but it is an iconic manufacturer and it would enhance F1 for sure. Williams Porsche F1 anyone?
If Volkswagen Group would enter F1, they would probably do it under Porsche or Audi name, but I can't imagine them being only a engine supplier when Mercedes is there with their own team

Back