Google fined $5 billion by EU for Android practices

How many years will the appeal take?

You need to have grounds for appealing and if you lose, that's more money because the appeal court will calculate, in the EU's favour naturally, damage costs for not following the original finding plus you'll get all the Commission's administrative costs for the appeal on top. It's a deterrent from appeals intended to stall inevitable outcomes.

Remember the EU's 2017 $2.7bn fine on Google? Google has mostly toed-the-line on the changes required but they are still haggling over the fines because they are unhappy with the lack of evidence that other parties were harmed, which is absurd. If Google routes customer to it's own services and not free market alternatives, you're harming them. What isn't calculable if whether the traffic would have resulted in sales had they gone elsewhere. Tricky. They won't win this, the EU's Regulations don't require damages to be specifically calculable, only that harm on a certain scale was done. It's a delaying tactic, nothing more.

I don't follow mobile much and don't know how android works from a licensing standpoint so could someone explain why Google is being fined and Apple is not? It would be okay if Google only put android on its own phones like Apple but if they allow others to put it on their phones they are not allowed to dictate the terms? This seems strange to me since nobody is forcing Samsung etc. to use android. If Samsung didn't like Google's app store integration and shit they could make their own OS right?

I don't follow mobile much and don't know how android works from a licensing standpoint so could someone explain why Google is being fined and Apple is not? It would be okay if Google only put android on its own phones like Apple but if they allow others to put it on their phones they are not allowed to dictate the terms? This seems strange to me since nobody is forcing Samsung etc. to use android. If Samsung didn't like Google's app store integration and shit they could make their own OS right?
Yeah I wondered this as well. Apple are far more restrictive and closed OS than Android and no one can even build their own devices for iOS.

Same reasoning on why the EU pillaged Microsoft for including IE Browser the last time while Apple got off completely free. The EU wants money, and are incapable of applying reason.

The EU wants money, and are incapable of applying reason.
Apple have obnoxious amounts of money. Their market share might be much lower but they make far more profit.

I don't follow mobile much and don't know how android works from a licensing standpoint so could someone explain why Google is being fined and Apple is not?

Apple's market share is relatively small whereas the size of Google's search and mobile OS businesses, in global market share terms, cross the monopoly thresholds. Within the EU, much of the national and EU anti-competition legislation applies only when a product or service is classified as a monopoly.

This is the same reason the EU investigated Microsoft for bundling in IE and WMP with Windows because Window was a defacto monopoly in the operating system business.

You're free to choose them on Android too. I can open any browser and use any search engine I want.

You do indeed have the freedom to chose a shitty search engine. On iOS too.

Last edited by a moderator:
And what are they changing it to if so? Bing? Altavista? Lol

Back