What will next-gen games look like? [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But its unrealistic to expect all games be either 4K or 60fps. Sony and MS may face some big PR problems and some backlash when this doesn't come to fruition.

Call of Duty: Black Ops was baaaaarely better than SD resolution on the PS3, and it blew out everything else sales that year. Pixel-counters aren't a significant fraction of the game-buying public.

The Infiltrator demo impresses me the most. The detail, lighting and framerate.

I'd expect next gen console games with small to medium sized environments look that good at 60fps. I don't really care about native 4K resolution or even anything beyond 1080p/1440p.

Cyberpunk 2077 demo ran at 1080p. That says a lot right there (and it was 30fps).

Larger / open-world games on next gen consoles, and other styles of games, developers will often just go with 30fps.
That said, I don't see why a higher percentage of games next gen won't be 60fps thanks to a far, far better CPU.

The Infiltrator demo impresses me the most. The detail, lighting and framerate.

I'd expect next gen console games with small to medium sized environments look that good at 60fps. I don't really care about native 4K resolution or even anything beyond 1080p/1440p.

Cyberpunk 2077 demo ran at 1080p. That says a lot right there (and it was 30fps).

Larger / open-world games on next gen consoles, and other styles of games, developers will often just go with 30fps.
That said, I don't see why a higher percentage of games next gen won't be 60fps thanks to a far, far better CPU.
I'd like to believe that but sadly it's not like devs couldn't just target 30fps and throw more stuff at the CPU.

The sorcerer trailer made by Quantic Dreams could be a good indication of what ballpark the graphics quality will be in. Maybe.

Another incremental increase.

In fact in many cases you may barely notice it. Look at Red Dead Redemption trailer...that will be on next gen probably, just buffed up a little.Just like GTA V.

Another incremental increase.

In fact in many cases you may barely notice it. Look at Red Dead Redemption trailer...that will be on next gen probably, just buffed up a little.Just like GTA V.
Mid gen consoles certainly close the gap a bit but GTAV on current gen consoles while drastically better than on PS3, still looks a gen behind the likes of Horizon ZD, AC Origins or RDR 2 itself and the same will repeat next gen.

In fact in many cases you may barely notice it

The only way that happens if the devs are making a cross gen title and aren't really spending any dev time on the next gen version. What do you mean look at red Dead trailer? It looks way better than GTAV did on PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back