HBRU's "I think there's going to be a PS4 Pro2" thread *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not getting that. You can't claim PS5 is PS4Pro 2. A PS5 that's BC is a PS5.

You need a more powerful console to be released as a new PS4 for your theory of a PS4 Pro 2 to be proven correct; if the next console announcement from Sony is a PS5, your theory was wrong.

There's every indication the next time Sony introduces a more powerful console, it will be the PS5, and it will use Zen cores of some sort, not Jaguar cores.

What is almost sure Sony will build some kind of PS4 at 7nm... Shrink costs are there... so why not build a pro2 --instead-- of a vanilla/pro@7nm ? ... This pro2 will extend 5 years PS4 commercial viability (IMHO)... and build some kind of bridge towards PS5 (forward compatibility only possible for pro2 patched titles, VRR, HDR10+, 16 cores).... This is not going cost too much as it will stay into the 8 TF / 12 GB RAM .… And give true 4K experience for todays games and also some kind of boost on the CPU side (both for increased clock and more cores available). As AMD is going multicore having a multicored console is going be a must....

Also opimization work in SW done by SW houses in all this time not going be lost beeing PRO2 simply an upgraded PS4... if MS releases an expensive 15 TF monster then they have to sell it to someone ? How many ?!? So my hypothesis has some legs as Ryzen is really big in transistor count compared to Jaguars

I find funny people that wants 4k@60hz and say me PRO2 will not happen then take into possible that MS can be successufull for a 720p@30hz streaming gaming console trough Scarletts splitted calcs... (For phones maybe not consoles sorry)

Last edited by a moderator:
What is almost sure Sony will build some kind of PS4 at 7nm... Shrink costs are there... so why not build a pro2 --instead-- of a vanilla/pro@7nm ? ... This pro2 will extend 5 years PS4 commercial viability (IMHO)... and build some kind of bridge towards PS5 (forward compatibility only possible for pro2 patched titles, VRR, HDR10+, 16 cores).... This is not going cost too much as it will stay into the 8 TF / 12 GB RAM .… And give true 4K experience for todays games and also some kind of boost on the CPU side (both for increased clock and more cores available). As AMD is going multicore having a multicored console is going be a must....

Sony doesn't need a ps4pro2 to extend ps4 commercial viability. The very good library and a price cut will do that already . And they'll need people to switch to PS5, not buying another PS4-class type of console. Working on another SoC for another mid gen console is non sense when your true next gen thing is already be working on (we see some sone devs working on Ryzen already).

Sony's next will be a successor to PS4/Pro, i see people saying that it will have Zen, is that officially confirmed?

Nothing's confirmed. It's rumoured AMD has been dedicating a lot of Navi development for PS5. If true, the CPU they'll pair with that will be Zen, obviously. So it can be talked about with confidence that PS5 will have Zen, and it'll be a shock if it doesn't, but it's not 100%.

Well I'm not stating ZEN will not be used... But a bit more ahed of what is expected.... In the mean time PRO2 :D

Sony doesn't need a ps4pro2 to extend ps4 commercial viability. The very good library and a price cut will do that already . And they'll need people to switch to PS5, not buying another PS4-class type of console. Working on another SoC for another mid gen console is non sense when your true next gen thing is already be working on (we see some sone devs working on Ryzen already).
Nothing's confirmed. It's rumoured AMD has been dedicating a lot of Navi development for PS5. If true, the CPU they'll pair with that will be Zen, obviously. So it can be talked about with confidence that PS5 will have Zen, and it'll be a shock if it doesn't, but it's not 100%.
And some Sony devs are working on the LLVM compiler for Zen. It's a pretty big hint...

All of this, yep.

Seems like it's very, very likely PS5 is what Sony launches next, which will use some iteration of Zen and Navi.

The cost is kind of related to the when :D The more they wait, the better the yields will be (on paper...)

I'm sure the techs specs are already defined, and they're "waiting" on yields&such (while working on softwares/dev kits/games/etc of course). My "I have no clue" guess is launch between mid 2019 and march 2020.

For having a 300 dollars console in 2019 PRO2 with a bit modest specs but consistent with market request is a good idea... Then after 2019 PRO2 is less and less possible... It gives also Sony time to see MS moves. I dont see coming 400 or 500 dollars consoles....

All there effort now will surely be towards a PS5. That will be there Pro 2. Releasing a Pro 2 makes no sense if the PS5 has full backwards compatibility with the PS4.

No sense ?!? Do you see MS going full on multiplayer with weak, cheap Scarlett HW ?!? Sony has to keep the PS4 installed base alive & refreshed as long as possible and as best is possible... A jump toward an expensive PS5 too soon may not be really healty.....

Last edited by a moderator:
1) A Pro 2 would have had to be decided upon and invested in long before Scarlett streaming was known. Sony aren't going to run around now for 6 months trying to get something together to release next year.
2) Nothing has been shown of Scarlett's streaming actually being any better than other streaming services. It'd be like running around in 2013 to get a monster PS4 Pro out in 2015 to combat MS's incredible Power Of The Cloud enhanced XB1.

Scarlett streaming will have no baring on Sony's current plans. As Nintendo proves, you play your own game and win customers. You don't chase around after the rivals with zero vision and nothing but panic driving you.

Scarlet streaming will not be the base console, it will be a niche console for those who live near data centers and have quality uncapped unshaped fibre. I will be very surprised if it becomes the most sold console in the next Xbox family of consoles.

Just to throw my pennies into the pool.

There will be no PRO2.

We are to close to 5, having another SKU to first R&D, then procure and manufacture. Then adding on logistics and market communication is resource demanding and in my opinion wasted money now.
That is Sony POV for my 2 cents.

For the developers, with a PRO2 you need to develop ,QA and certify for 3 PS4 different platforms with marginal gains and no big market push like you would get from a PS5 launch.
IMO then doing a PS5 with or without BC is more attractive for both Sony and the developers in a more TCO approach.

Only time MS plans should really factor into it, is price, is the PS5 price competitive for the advantage/spec it gives over current MS products in the market. Near future MS products probably will factor in if there are minor/easy adjustments that can be done for large gains. Ie PS4s 4GB to 8GB RAM.

How many will shell out for a PRO2 for 1-2 years waiting for the PS5. Or just wait the 1-2 years for the PS5. I would wait and I say this as a person that actually bought the PRO when it came out.

Ok. Read today. First AMD products on 7nm by TMSC will be in 2019 ... expensive, heavily multicored Epycs

Which will consist of multiple 4 or 8 core Zen CCX's, bound with Infinity Fabric. So, both TSMC and Global Foundries will manufacture Zen CPU's on 7nm by next year.

No 256 core Jaguars anywhere in sight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back