Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
In some LG TVs there is HDR Game Mode. Is it required to play games with HDR?

What you guys think about LG 55UJ635V and LG 55UJ750V? First or secons will be better for Xbox One X, or not first not second? Second also have Dolby Vision and I plan to watch UHD movies on Xbox One X, and many of them have Dolby Vision. But of course TV is needed mostly for gaming in 4K with HDR. Thank you!

But is it required? Can I play games with HDR support on TV without HDR Game Mode? I'm asking because HDR Game Mode isonly in some very expensive TVs.

Oh yah, you definitely can play on any hdr tv. Game modes are just there to offer more responsive gameplay. A tv without a game mode might feel a bit clunky depending on how sensitive you are to input lag.

But is it required? Can I play games with HDR support on TV without HDR Game Mode? I'm asking because HDR Game Mode isonly in some very expensive TVs.

Game mode provides the lowest response time. That’s all there is to it. Pretty sure that mode is either for her games or to emulate HDR for non-HDR games.

Is there much difference in image quality using low-latency modes? One would presume so, otherwise it needn't be a mode - the TV could just be low latency.

Hmm, it seems normal to have "HDR game mode" on every TV that I know of nowadays no matter the price. So that's odd.

Is there much difference in image quality using low-latency modes? One would presume so, otherwise it needn't be a mode - the TV could just be low latency.

This is something I wonder about too. There seems to be limited discussion about it. As you say, obviously they turn off some processing.

Since there is not much mention of lower picture quality in game modes I'm going to guess the PQ difference isn't great. And I haven't really noticed on my current Tv with some sort of game mode (although I question it). Then again I've basically only ever run it in game mode...

I would assume smart manufacturers have by now figured out "hey, we can turn off these 3 things every time to get low lag without much impact to PQ". Because every Samsung, TCL, etc seems to be at VERY low input lag in game mode, seems somewhat a solved problem for those manufacturers.

It's very nice nowadays. Years ago when I started looking into TV's and input lag, it was both very difficult to measure, and manufacturers did not pay much attention to it. Vastly better situation now. The Leo Bodnar tool makes measuring lag easy, and most manufacturers have very effective game modes standard.

Not required, but.... You want it. With game mode, input latency can be as low as 16 ms, without it some TVs the input latency is 66 to 75 ms range.

Yes, there's a visual quality impact, and it varies between tvs. I don't know the specifics on any of the newer tvs, but typically they'll disable and lockout features. For instance, on my tv 10pt white balance is disabled, and the picture mode is locked to standard, which makes it impossible to get to 6500K white balance. It's significantly off. Also, I believe my tv forces something like 4:2:0 chroma subsampling in game mode.

Automatic Low-Latency Mode is a pretty great feature and makes this a non-issue. Between that and VRR, gamers finally got some love from the CE industry!

On my tv, game mode disables dynamic hdr range mapping and a bunch of the more advanced controls. The various film modes pop ever so slightly more, but it's a rather minute difference. Certainly not worth the massive increase in input latency.

I finally ordered the 65 inch Sony XF9005. Arrives Saturday. Really looking forward to see live what HDR looks like in gaming!

I finally ordered the 65 inch Sony XF9005. Arrives Saturday. Really looking forward to see live what HDR looks like in gaming!

You’ll be very pleasantly surprised. Also by some good HDR content on Netflix and Amazon (the grand tour for example, if you like cars!).

I read that 1080p is a bit bad at around 41ms, but 4K is a more tolerable 25ms. My current HDTV input lag is 14ms, so I'll see how I cope with it.

I'm assuming you have a PS4 Pro? I don't know how that console works, but as long as it's doing the scaling from 1080p to 4k for you, I don't think you'll have much issue. Sounds like the tvs scalar adds quite a bit of input lag, so if you can do the scaling on the console for a game that's 1080p, you should be fine. Usually those frame interpolation settings add lots of input lag, and black frame insertion can add input lag too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back