Dolby Vision coming to XBO

It would not be an additional supply chain if you only make consoles with UHD drives, like MS does with the S and X.

It will be interesting to see, eventually, what Sony does on the PS5. I would hope for the sake of consumers they opt to support UHD, Dolby Atmos, and Dolby Vision. But I would not be surprised if they miss out again for the simple reason of "Because Sony".

Anyways, that's getting a bit off topic...

Like how will Sony support larger sized games with non-UHD media during next-gen?

But I would not be surprised if they miss out again for the simple reason of "Because Sony".
All because they don't want to license more proprietary Dolby IP?

Dolby's core business is to keep cranking out new formats to keep the licensing gravy train rolling. Its why Samsung/Panasonic decided to create HDR10+ and Atmos is not the only technology for "audio objects". I for one hope the declining theater business finishes them off sooner than later because that means less property garbage I have to deal with.

I’m happy to pay for it. And also, to be honest I’m not too fussed about DV, my tv supports it and it really doesn’t add that much in my eyes to HDR10.
Now, Atmos in games or at least Netflix would be a game changer. MS can do it, Sony should just bloody bite the bullet and do it.

Dolby's core business is to keep cranking out new formats to keep the licensing gravy train rolling. Its why Samsung/Panasonic decided to create HDR10+ and Atmos is not the only technology for "audio objects". I for one hope the declining theater business finishes them off sooner than later because that means less property garbage I have to deal with.

Sorry but I couldn’t disagree more.

As far as DV is concerned, meh. Who cares.

But as far as sound is concerned, if you didn’t have Dolby or dts to try and standardise things, you just wouldn’t get any positional audio.

With Atmos in particular, sure there are other standards, but only Atmos is supported by literally everyone and it provides the golden standard right now and for the foreseeable future. Without it, you’d have to support another standard. And if that wasn’t available, you just wouldn’t get anything.

You need to have a standard to communicate between devices - whether it’s dts-x, Dolby Atmos or Auro 3D which nobody even knows, let alone can use.

So, shock horror! Dolby need to make money through licensing but look what we have gotten in the last few decades from what you perceive as “property garbage and licensing gravy train”. From the days of cassette tapes to 5.1 sound and now Atmos.

Last edited:
It would not be an additional supply chain if you only make consoles with UHD drives, like MS does with the S and X.

True, but then you disadvantage your product on pricing or take a margin hit on 80+ million consoles. Would Sony have sold more PS4 consoles if they had switched to UHD? Perhaps but the real question is would any additional sales (and related software/services) have sold enough to offset a hit on the margin?

Like how will Sony support larger sized games with non-UHD media during next-gen?

Two 50Gb Blu-ray discs? Until UHD disc duplication is at the scale of Blu-ray, you're paying a premium for large capacity runs. As long as they don't return to wacky propriety formats. Mega-UMD? :runaway:

Dual disks won't be a problem in the same way it was PS360 gen (which by and large it wasn't) because everything is installed; the disks are just a distribution medium. Heck, a 5 disc game wouldn't be a problem beyond the chore of installation.

But Dolby Atmos is free if your receiver supports it. It is only a cost for the HRTF aspect with headphones.

So I think it'll be like what Ike said, the cost is in the TV.
nice to know. I just use it on my laptop, but should be an universal app so I probably have it on my Xbox One -my Xbox and Windows account use the same email address-.

not Dolby Vision related, but I had a scare the other day. I got Twilight saga on Blu-ray and I mostly play on PC now but my day one Xbox One is mostly as a Blu-ray player.

It has been a while ever since I played a Blu-ray on the console and it was scary 'cos the Blu-ray drive made a scrape-like sound and it didn't play the Blu-ray.

And most importantly, it didnt eject the Blu-ray disc! :/ So I decided to lean it diagonally towards me and the disc came out. Then I inserted the disc again and it played normally.

Still, I was scared because it is my only Blu-ray player.

Why does someone charging a license fee for others to use the technology they create bother you? I could understand if they restricted the devices that could use their tech to a single manufacturer or prevented companies who licensed their tech from using the tech of their competitors. Dolby don't appear to do either of these things as far as I'm aware.

Someone wanting Dolby to go out out of business is baffling to me.

Supporting UHD requires a more expensive drive and an additional supply chain - and more supply chain management which also adds costs. And not everybody wants/needs UHD disc capability like Pro owners with 1080p sets or people like me who has had a 4K TV since August 2014 yet don't buy UHD discs - I'm genuinely satisfied with 1080p quality for TV and movies on my 50" TV at the distance I sit from it and games are the only 4K content I consume.

I would continue to argue that WCG and HDR, in all it's flavors, add much more to the viewing experience than the resolution bump. At least until you get to larger screen sizes.

Why does someone charging a license fee for others to use the technology they create bother you? I could understand if they restricted the devices that could use their tech to a single manufacturer or prevented companies who licensed their tech from using the tech of their competitors. Dolby don't appear to do either of these things as far as I'm aware.

Someone wanting Dolby to go out out of business is baffling to me.
I guess the argument is in favour of open standards, that nobody has to license. Which is great in theory, but history shows open standards are never properly implemented without money being involved to ensure those implementing the standards do so properly.

I guess the argument is in favour of open standards, that nobody has to license. Which is great in theory, but history shows open standards are never properly implemented without money being involved to ensure those implementing the standards do so properly.

Yup. I can't think of many successful patent/licence-free open standards that either didn't originally come attached with a licensing mode which went away once the patents expired, or, which didn't have a bunch of incompatibilities across manufacturer's implementations.

I am in favor of open standards, too. This doesn't make me actively hostile towards closed ones on principal. Only when given a reason.

HDR+ came after DV, though I'm not sure how much of a lead DV built up.

The main issue is whether the studios provide content in both formats. I read on AVS that they'd have to put two separate encodes if they want to support DV and HDR+ on the same release. So that might mean an extra UHD BD disc for a movie.

I would think the studios won't go for that, though DV requires doing the grading by hand by an expert colorist while HDR+ tools are suppose to be automated.

Question is will licensing fees and the cost of grading DV encodes manually cause studios to stop supporting DV?

The issue with DV is that no TV our right now and the foreseeable future is actually able to get to the maximum touted brightness level that it affords, which is one of the most important aspects of the format.

And seeing how a lot of people are ‘scared’ of higher brightness, because they think it would make them blind, I don’t see that changing very quickly.

Is it better? Of course. Is it something people will actually buy into? Maybe when it’s standard on everything and the TVs can actually show a marked, actually perceptible difference with HDR10. At the moment that’s not the case.

Back