Colonial Marines AI bug caused by typo

Last week it was on sale for $3 and the over a year old typo-fix was making headlines again. Even with it fixed, many said it wasn't worth the $3.

You recently purchased this after years of it being infamously bad? What prompted the decision?
Curiousity, frankly.

Last week it was on sale for $3 and the over a year old typo-fix was making headlines again. Even with it fixed, many said it wasn't worth the $3.
You could spend easily triple (?) that on a movie ticket and find out it's a borefest. If you only get two hours of mild entertainment you're already getting value for money.

Last edited:
I played quite a bit of Colonial Marines and AI problems aren't really the underlying issue with the game. It is just not a quality game by any measure. I found some of it interesting from a lore and location perspective though, as a fan of the franchise.

Frankly it is quite reminiscent of AVP2's marine campaign (2001 on PC). It even has some of the same locations. That's not remotely good enough by today's standards though.

Last edited:
what a weird bug and how a simple letter can change an entire game...programming at its best.

I played quite a bit of Colonial Marines and AI problems aren't really the underlying issue with the game. It is just not a quality game by any measure. I found some of it interesting from a lore and location perspective though, as a fan of the franchise.

Frankly it is quite reminiscent of AVP2's marine campaign (2001 on PC). It even has some of the same locations. That's not remotely good enough by today's standards though.
do you mean that AVP2 is not good enough by today's standards?

The best Alien vs Predator game, imho, was the first. I discovered it 'cos it came bundled with my Sound Blaster Live! card, and what a thrill!

I completed the Predator campaign first, seemed more fun.

Initially I thought the Marine's was the inferior campaign, but was I wrong... That campaign gave me the chills, it was amazing.

The alien campaign...alas I never got the hang of it.

Super irony if the game would have been a massive success if only the typo did not exist :p

do you mean that AVP2 is not good enough by today's standards?

The best Alien vs Predator game, imho, was the first. I discovered it 'cos it came bundled with my Sound Blaster Live! card, and what a thrill!

I completed the Predator campaign first, seemed more fun.

Initially I thought the Marine's was the inferior campaign, but was I wrong... That campaign gave me the chills, it was amazing.

The alien campaign...alas I never got the hang of it.
Yeah AVP2 is certainly not good enough by today's standards. You're right that AVP1 was better in ways. AVP2 has more story to it which is interesting. But it has a weird NOLF vibe to it and Lithtech Talon was not exactly great on any level...

Last edited:
I really liked AVP and AVP2 but they don't hold up well now. :no:

It's a typo I would have thought would have generated an error. The object being linked to doesn't exist, using there's no 'Teather'. So I guess they just skip over errors in the config, or pass some 'null' to the game code that gets ignored instead of throwing an error. But it's one that should have been caught in testing anyway. When playing the game, it'd have been seen the AI was broke. Thus it wasn't properly QA'd and deserved the commercial flop (well, all the other bugs and problems testify to the lack of QA...).

It's because it's a scripted and interpreted language, not a compiled one.

Yeah AVP2 is certainly not good enough by today's standards. You're right that AVP1 was better in ways. AVP2 has more story to it which is interesting. But it has a weird NOLF vibe to it and Lithtech Talon was not exactly great on any level...
now that you mention it, AvP 1 runs perfectly fine at 4k even on a 1050Ti -I have the GoG version-, but the game hasnt aged quite well, it looks a bit flat by today's standards, yup. But the gameplay is almost perfect.

NOLF?

No One Lives Forever. A classic FPS spy shooter using an engine known for its comic-style renderer. Was a great game for its time.
NOLF2 was one of the first DirectX 9 games with pixel shader 3.0 effects I ever played. It completely blew me away graphically. Such a shame this franchise has become lost because nobody is quite sure who owns it or has the right to sell/release it.

NOLF2 was one of the first DirectX 9 games with pixel shader 3.0 effects I ever played. It completely blew me away graphically. Such a shame this franchise has become lost because nobody is quite sure who owns it or has the right to sell/release it.
At what point could a dev just do a spoof of NOLF that just rips off the characters & setup(a.k.a. updated for Next-Gen™) with parallel universe names etc. then release it with the ability to mod character names post-release? :p

No Idiot Lives Forever

ahem.

ahem

DirectX 8 actually. It was the big launch game for Lithtech Jupiter.

I think they killed the franchise themselves with Contract J.A.C.K.

Last edited:
Back