Dolby Vision coming to XBO

It probably should have its own thread anyways, considering it's tangentally related to TVs and will get buried in that larger thread.

I'm curious if they work the license like the bluray player (seperate download to keep license count down) or where an explicit setting must be set but it doesnt count it until its actually triggered? Or do they have to license it for every device that could potentially use it eventually? I dont think this will be like the Dolby Atmos for Headphones that has a separate cost.

Mmm, good question. I don't think you can advertise with a Dolby Vision logo without paying some fees to Dolby. Or there will be a footnote like "separate software required".

Who cares, I'm a consumer.

It will likely be like the Dolby Atmos application. Paid licenses.
There shouldn't be any liscense to pay given that it's already "included" in your TV if it supports Dolby Vision. Similarly to how it works with Atmos compatible receivers. The Atmos license fee (via the app) is only for stereo Headphones/Speakers support.

Last edited:
It will likely be like the Dolby Atmos application. Paid licenses.

But Dolby Atmos is free if your receiver supports it. It is only a cost for the HRTF aspect with headphones.

So I think it'll be like what Ike said, the cost is in the TV.

Isn’t it all dependent on MS? MS could have easily incurred the cost of Dolby Atmos over headphones at no costs to gamers like they do for everything else Dolby related. But the fee seems to be large enough to have encouraged MS to pass that cost to the user. Dolby Vision costs may be large enough to encourage the same behavior.

Isn’t it all dependent on MS? MS could have easily incurred the cost of Dolby Atmos over headphones at no costs to gamers like they do for everything else Dolby related. But the fee seems to be large enough to have encouraged MS to pass that cost to the user. Dolby Vision costs may be large enough to encourage the same behavior.
Nope, the Atmos fee is only for HRTF with stereo speakers and headphones (hardware you bought and that didn't included a license for Atmos support. Dolby Vision is similar to Atmos on receivers the fee is already included the the price of the TV. It's similar to the old days when you had to buy a DVD player software to play DVD movies on your DVD-Rom player on PC.. Stand alone players already included the license in their price.
With Atmos on receivers and Vision on TVs.The data/content is simply sent to the HW which is decoding content (Hi-fi receiver and TV). Atmos HRTF is different in the way that it's the Xbox/PC which is doing to work and then sending it to the HP/Speakers.

Last edited:
There are also wireless head-phones and head-sets for Xbox that includes the Dolby Atmos HRTF license so they come with a redeemable code the user can use.

Almost all major hardware in a Dolby supported device chain has a Dolby license fee cost attached to it. The costs are usually hid behind the purchase price of the hardware.

Yes, providing Atmos to non supported headphones was a cost incurred by users who bought the app. But users also paid for the cost of the Xbox one ability to pass through Atmos to Atmos supported devices downstream. Atmos is delivered by either DD+ or DTHD which are codecs used by the Xbox One BluRay drive and streaming apps. The cost of the licensing fees associated with those two codecs are just hidden behind the retail purchase price. Atmos passthrough is piggybacking using existing solutions on the Xbox One.

BluRay players, consoles and setup boxes must have a software or hardware based DV decoder to support Dolby Vision. There is a license fee associated with that decoder. So MS may eat the cost of that feature or sell it as an app that unlocks the feature.

What are the chances we’ll get DV and Atmos in the next big PS4 firmware update? Zero, you say? Womp womp.
Tougher sell I guess; removal of the UHD player puts DV in a weird place on its own as DV and UHD discs should represent the enthusiast market.

Tougher sell I guess; removal of the UHD player puts DV in a weird place on its own as DV and UHD discs should represent the enthusiast market.

Supporting UHD requires a more expensive drive and an additional supply chain - and more supply chain management which also adds costs. And not everybody wants/needs UHD disc capability like Pro owners with 1080p sets or people like me who has had a 4K TV since August 2014 yet don't buy UHD discs - I'm genuinely satisfied with 1080p quality for TV and movies on my 50" TV at the distance I sit from it and games are the only 4K content I consume.

Audio, assuming a device's hardware is capable, is a software licence. I don't know how the licensing works but an option may to allow individual owners to enable certain functionality like the DVD/Blu-ray player functionality in PS4. Out of the box, there is no licence but it's simple to enable and presumably Sony get billed 5 cents. The same may be possible for DV and Atmos. Hell, pass the cost onto the individual owner - it's them who want it and they clearly have money to burn, amiright London-boy? ;)

Fundamentally I think Sony's focus for PS4 is games first. It's always been games first because, I assume, Sony have a ton of online metrics reported in by individual PS4s that most people play games so that's where their engineering time is focussed. They did the "it only does everything" with PS3 and that was their least successful console.

Back