Jaguar CPU in XBox and PS4 *spawn*

The CPUs in the next gen consoles are going to make a massive difference in my opinion. We talking a massive improvement.

The CPUs in the next gen consoles are going to make a massive difference in my opinion. We talking a massive improvement.
Not really (in my opinion). The problem here is just, as CPUs in current gen might be underpowered, we still have the problem that the gpu is almost used 100%.
What might happen, that we get 60fps at current state of the (console) art graphics, but 30 again with better graphics.
E.g. most popular shooter games etc don't really need that much cpu-power. With a bigger CPU it would be just easier to get them running. The main focus in this genre is still the GPU alone. If they want to target 60fps, they must sacrifice graphics because else the GPU has also to do twice the work.
It might change a few things where AI is a little bit more important, but nothing really more (e.g. RTS would profit the most, but well … on console …). Thanks to the mid-gen refresh the next jump from current-get to next-gen will be even smaller than ps3->ps4

Amd is coming with a 12 core soon, maybe next gen will get more then just 8?

A core i5 2100 would have been much better for the PS4 :)

E.g. most popular shooter games etc don't really need that much cpu-power. With a bigger CPU it would be just easier to get them running.

I love open world games though. People also say the CPUs didn't hold them back this gen but of course they did. The more powerful CPUs for sure will make it easier to hit 60fps in the games that need it but there will be other improvements also. More varied AI, animation and physics. In fact I feel the biggest difference that next gen will deliver will be because of the CPUs, unless of course they go with anemic CPUs again :(

I feel AMD is in a much better place to deliver a more rounded APU compared to the current gen.

The main focus in this genre is still the GPU alone. If they want to target 60fps, they must sacrifice graphics because else the GPU has also to do twice the work.

Not on the temporal reconstruction era. You guys keep forgetting that.

Dont believe next gen will have just 4 cores...

If AMD could build a better framework for GPU accelerated computing, I could actually see such a move as being possible, especially if Zen 2 ends up being a sizeable jump over first gen Zen architecture.

I do expect PS5 and Scarlet to use Zen 2 micro-architecture with 8 full cores. Most likely 8c/16t/

The console CPUs just won't be clocked as high as Zen 2 desktop counterparts.

Last edited:
8c/16t zen2 for PS5 ... Yes... But this is going to be expensive into an APU so coming late into Consoles (2023/24)... Maybe 5nm

8c/16t zen2 for PS5 ... Yes... But this is going to be expensive into an APU so coming late into Consoles (2023/24)... Maybe 5nm

PS5 and Scarlet aren't nearly that far away. Most likely Fall 2020, or 2021 at the latest.

Well AMD doesn't sell Jaguar into the desktop space any more so an Atom based Pentium series CPU would be the best fit afaik, there's an Anandtech article from 2013 that is a reasonable fit for comparative purposes

https://www.anandtech.com/show/6974/amd-kabini-review

Neither Sony nor Microsoft are going to use Intel.

99% chance they're both using AMD and an iteration of Zen.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft are going to use Intel.

99% chance they're both using AMD and an iteration of Zen.
Oh I agree Intel has less than no interest in making consoles, what I was trying to say is that the best comparison point between Jaguar and modern desktop CPUs is the Atom based family

Back