Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this in another thread, and damn, the OLEDs sure seem to be having really bizarre image retention issues:

Did you see this story? Ouch!

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/07/08/lg_embarrasses_oled_burnin_at_sid_tradeshow

Edit: I just invested a bit of time at rtings.com. The OLEDs are impressive, and it looks possible that the manufacturers have a bead on the right techniques to mitigate the possibility of burn-in under worst case circumstances. Using a fixed desktop and taskbar, and a browser with visible tabs and Menu bar is what gave me cause for concern. I have a 43" XBR X800D from 2016 and it's working out really well, but the year 2018 is showing signs that its eventual replacement might be a solid upgrade. Though it's a bit disconcerting to not see the most advanced features being offered in smaller size panels. I was hesitant to go with a 43" inch set for my desk as it seemed to be too much of a good thing. It's worked out, but I do feel I'm at about as large a size as I can accommodate. Maybe when variable refresh rate becomes common, then we'll see the manufacturers wanting to pursue PC users who want more than just a monitor.

I guess I'll know when the 2019 models get teased if my checklist of features will get met at the 43" size.

Last edited:

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/07/08/lg_embarrasses_oled_burnin_at_sid_tradeshow

Edit: I just invested a bit of time at rtings.com. The OLEDs are impressive, and it looks possible that the manufacturers have a bead on the right techniques to mitigate the possibility of burn-in under worst case circumstances. Using a fixed desktop and taskbar, and a browser with visible tabs and Menu bar is what gave me cause for concern. I have a 43" XBR X800D from 2016 and it's working out really well, but the year 2018 is showing signs that its eventual replacement might be a solid upgrade. Though it's a bit disconcerting to not see the most advanced features being offered in smaller size panels. I was hesitant to go with a 43" inch set for my desk as it seemed to be too much of a good thing. It's worked out, but I do feel I'm at about as large a size as I can accommodate. Maybe when variable refresh rate becomes common, then we'll see the manufacturers wanting to pursue PC users who want more than just a monitor.

I guess I'll know when the 2019 models get teased if my checklist of features will get met at the 43" size.

Better hope monitors catch up in price and features. Because I doubt you are going to see major advances coming to < 50 inch TV displays.

I imagine it’s because smaller displays require greater pixel density. Thus they aren’t as cheap to produce as one might suspect. Production costs, volume and typical retail price for smaller TVs might not align well with cutting edge features.

To put into perspective, a 32” 4K OLED would have roughly the same pixel density of a 65” 8K OLED.

But this is all guesswork so I might be wrong.

Last edited:
Really annoyed that Sony have shown no interest in pushing for DV and Atmos support on PS4 for online services.

Now the only devices that can do both are the new Apple TV and the Xbox. So stupid for Sony to be the odd one out, considering their position in the AV home entertainment space.

Can we ask for tv recommendations in this thread?

I'll be moving soon and I'll be looking for a new TV. I've done very little research but I'm now looking at the LG oled55c8p which seems to be great for gaming and movies.

Budget is around 1800 euros. I'd love a 65inch but I think that is out of my price range. My choice will be between LG, sony and Panasonic (and Toshiba and Mitsubishi if I want to make myself suffer). Samsung is not available in Japan.

Its a shame the same 2018 model TCLs are not available in Europe. They are remarkable value. The 65" is under $1100 US.

I'll be moving soon and I'll be looking for a new TV. I've done very little research but I'm now looking at the LG oled55c8p which seems to be great for gaming and movies.

Budget is around 1800 euros. I'd love a 65inch but I think that is out of my price range. My choice will be between LG, sony and Panasonic (and Toshiba and Mitsubishi if I want to make myself suffer). Samsung is not available in Japan.

You might be able to find a 2017 LG OLED 65" for about 2k€, at least in Finland you can find them at that price sometimes.

The burn-in issue is a real enough concern that I would steer clear of OLED. I'm not interested in always having to consider whether I've been viewing too much of a certain type of content and damaging the screen.

From that list, I'd be looking at the Sony X930E.

the panel showing image retention was at the nanosys booth, this is the company that produces the quantum dots for samsung. they had the oled next to a qled and they were deliberately trying to produce burn in by showing a static image on both.

its in modern media parlance what you call a nothing burger, fake news.

also that week 4 oled burn in test result was a result of a manufacturing issue that only effected a small number of sets made in 2017, it was fixed in firmware and is no longer an issue at rtings, who are now in week 24 of their real life oled burn in tests.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

Last edited:
Did you even read the rest of it, where their engineers said some panels do have issues in response to RTings tests?

I would not consider this "a nothing burger" or "fake news"

yes if you go to the link i posted you can see the full results at rtings which were referenced in the hardocp article. as they mentioned those became apparent at week 4. lg quickly solved that issue, and flashed their firmware and the problem was solved. like i said they are now in week 24, so this is old old news.

Not solved and burn in is a real concern:

Week 24: (07/13/2018): All results have been updated including peak brightness, color gamut, and uniformity photos. Burn-in is visible on the two TVs displaying live CNN on the red and magenta slide. The peak brightness and color gamut remain almost identical to the last time these measurements were taken in week 16.

when i said it was solved, i was referring to the anomalous image retention that was noticed at week 4. the yellow text blurb in the hardocp article references the same week 4 rtings results that the video babel posted was about.

these week 4 results were like i said already were solved by lg with new firmware.

burn in is only a real concern if you watch cnn 24/7, in other words not a real concern.

Real concern if use as PC monitor or play the same game for a few months, like all gamers do with popular titles like Destiny, WoW, Diablo, PUBG, COD, Fortnite, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back