All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2018 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh you're right. Sometimes they list the seller on the right (where I was looking), and sometimes they don't it seems.

Maybe Bezos kids are FortNite players and he's pissed off Because Sony stole their accounts?

Whoa, I thought Switch wasn't as popular in Europe as NA and Japan. But this shows Switch absolutely dominating physical game sales (no digital sales data available for Switch titles) with 10 of the top 20 spots.

And interesting from a platform perspective, 4 out of the 10 NSW titles in the top 20 were 3rd party titles. So, while Nintendo remains the premiere draw, 3rd parties are also doing quite well if they invest in the platform.

It's really unfortunate that Nintendo doesn't share digital sales data for the NSW as almost all indie titles on the platform are digital only. It'd be interesting to see data for indie titles as I know some people that mainly use their NSW for indie games.

Regards,
SB

Whoa, I thought Switch wasn't as popular in Europe as NA and Japan. But this shows Switch absolutely dominating physical game sales (no digital sales data available for Switch titles) with 10 of the top 20 spots.

And interesting from a platform perspective, 4 out of the 10 NSW titles in the top 20 were 3rd party titles. So, while Nintendo remains the premiere draw, 3rd parties are also doing quite well if they invest in the platform.

It's really unfortunate that Nintendo doesn't share digital sales data for the NSW as almost all indie titles on the platform are digital only. It'd be interesting to see data for indie titles as I know some people that mainly use their NSW for indie games.

Regards,
SB

The UK market has still been a bit fickle for Nintendo. It is much better than it was, but they still seem to be in third behind both Sony and Microsoft. Europe on the hand has been solid for Nintendo. Even with the terrible sales of the Wii U, it managed to do "ok" in some countries like France. When Fifa released on Switch, I was playing close attention to how well it was performing on Amazon in both France and Germany, and it was charting well there for quite a while. I am not a fan of Fifa, but I was intrigued because I knew if that title was going to meet EA's expectations and become a yearly release, doing well in those countries was of the upmost importance. Selling a ton in the US just isnt going to happen by comparison.

Switch is owning Japan, outselling the PS4 by double on a weekly basis, and at times even approaching a three to one margin. This is without any major hitters releasing. PS4 saw a big surge when MH World released, but that has since normalized, and Switch is dominating. With the release of Pokemon and Smash Bros later this year, it shouldn't take Switch too much longer to surpass PS4 lifetime sales in Japan. The US market Switch has remained strong, outselling the Xbox One fairly regularly, but typically not as well as the dominate PS4. Smash Bros and Pokemon will surely create very strong Christmas sales, but I think a price drop to $249 or even $199 is needed if Nintendo is going to meet its 20 million units sold for the fiscal year. I would have to think that Nintendo could still profit at $199 by the end of the year, and potentially release a 256GB model for $299 with a digital copy of MK8. Lots of options, just depends on if gaining market share is a big priority or not.

I think the US market is less impressed by the strange Japanese titles, full priced ports and indies. For Japan these are normal affair, but the US is more about COD, Madden and AAA titles which the Switch is weak on. I just got a Switch and struggle to find five games I would buy. I'm buying games like Minecraft which I already have on four platforms.

I think the US market is less impressed by the strange Japanese titles, full priced ports and indies. For Japan these are normal affair, but the US is more about COD, Madden and AAA titles which the Switch is weak on. I just got a Switch and struggle to find five games I would buy. I'm buying games like Minecraft which I already have on four platforms.

No question Switch is respectively more popular in Japan than the US, and you are right, many of the most popular titles in the US such as COD, Assassins Creed and Madden are all absent on Switch. The success it is having is actually made even more impressive by that fact. Switch is outselling the Xbox One on a consistent basis despite not having those titles.

I too am curious why you bought a Switch if the library doesn't impress you. Five titles? Zelda BoTW, Mario Odysey, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Bayonetta 1+2, Donkey Kong Country TF, Mario Rabbids and a ton of fantastic Indie titles. For me I have enjoyed games like Doom and Wolfenstein 2 on my Switch despite other consoles having superior versions for less money, but I can see how some people couldn't justify the purchase. The bread and butter for Switch is the Nintendo first party lineup, but the Indie library is nothing short of spectacular. I would bet a lot of people play Indie games almost exclusively on Switch. Mighty Gunvolt, Steamworld Heist and Dig, Runner 3, and Shovel Knight to name a few are very high quality.

Late ports at full price are normally doomed, but Skyrim SE has done very well on Switch, and Crash Trilogy is the fastest selling Switch game of the year so far in the UK. Late ports seem to still do relatively well on Switch, and publishers will likely see that as a good thing, and continue to bring legacy software to the platform. The library on Switch is already massive, but if your all about COD and games like Project Octopath are not interesting to you, then perhaps the platform just isn't for you.

Firstly a huge disclaimer before I continue with this post. This is data from VGChartz, so take everything beyond this point with a suitable grain of salt. The reason I went there was to get some idea of how popular the NSW is in Europe and NA.

To preface that, back during the first 4 months of NSW's launch weekly sales of NSW tracked significantly higher in NA than Europe.

Looking at the currently posted weekly rankings (23/06/2018) on VGChartz shows NSW selling relatively equally in NA (61,346) and Europe (59,730). Both regions appear to like the NSW equally unlike what you see with PS4 (more units sold in Europe) and XBO (more units sold in NA). Globally NSW is right on the heels of PS4, due in large part to how well it sells in Japan (47,961).

Also interesting is that XBO maintains X360's unit sales ratio of approximately 2:1 (NA:Europe).

Regards,
SB

Could be massive for this month. Amazon doesn’t stock anything Sony anymore. So...

Yea it’s a weird situation but missing out on a day like this will penalize Sony for a month and on Black Friday this year if they don’t come to agreement. I can’t imagine Sony being too happy about handing prime day, Black Friday, and Christmas away. Those are big days for moving volume. They should take the loss and make it up on software.

Last edited:
Prime day will affect Sony more than BF. Sony will have their share of BF deals elsewhere, so I think amazon misses out pretty bad too. This Sony/Amazon thing has been going on for several months and that hasn't stopped them from selling the most HW.

Prime day will give MS/Nintendo a nice boost, but I don't think it will be massive. Sure amazon is a massive online retailer; but 1) amazon isn't the biggest retailer for video games in the US (not even second or third IIRC), and 2) this is a one (1.5) day sale for prime members only. It will probably give them the edge over Sony for the month though.

Last edited:
Nintendo was feuding with Amazon for years at one point. It was impossible to get Disney Blu-rays on release from Amazon for a time.

This Sony/Amazon thing has been going on for several months and that hasn't stopped them from selling the most HW.
But we are talking about massive sales days though.

For me the key takeaway is whether amazon will move at least 20% of a place forms total volume as a channel. If so, thats large. You’ve gotta keep in mind for these large sale days, distribution is challenging. Get it wrong and some stores have too many and where you need it to have stock it’s out of stock. You don’t want your customers driving around looking for stock and getting frustrated in lines and what not.

Amazon by passes the standard model since they ship directly to home. If people are not willing to expose themselves to the chaos of Black Friday or Christmas holiday shopping, Amazon is a perfect venue for this. Other companies ship as well, but few as well as amazon.

Not saying you’re wrong perhaps you’re right that it will have a marginal effect for BF and Christmas, but there are reasons to be on Amazon. It would be difficult to know which way the wind will blow on this one without seeing real numbers and math.

This may not be an Amazon only phenomenon. I went and checked store pick up options on Target.com and BestBuy.com.

My haphazard research showed the Pro in short supply inside Los Angeles. BB showed no Pro available for pickup at any store within 250 miles. Target didn’t readily show any Pros available inside LA. Some cities just outside of LA showed stock for target but literally every location displayed a “just # (1-4) left” disclaimer.

In comparison the X was in readily available in most stores inside LA for both stores. Target for the most part just said it was available with no “just # (1-4)” disclaimers.

Did the same for Houston, Texas and produced similar results for the Pro. BB claims none available within 250 miles. Target showed no stock within Houston but available in outlying cities and counties.

Choose the Pro because of limited skus. I didn’t feel like checking all the bundles that the base skus provide.

Last edited:
But we are talking about massive sales days though.

For me the key takeaway is whether amazon will move at least 20% of a place forms total volume as a channel. If so, thats large. You’ve gotta keep in mind for these large sale days, distribution is challenging. Get it wrong and some stores have too many and where you need it to have stock it’s out of stock. You don’t want your customers driving around looking for stock and getting frustrated in lines and what not.

Amazon by passes the standard model since they ship directly to home. If people are not willing to expose themselves to the chaos of Black Friday or Christmas holiday shopping, Amazon is a perfect venue for this. Other companies ship as well, but few as well as amazon.

Not saying you’re wrong perhaps you’re right that it will have a marginal effect for BF and Christmas, but there are reasons to be on Amazon. It would be difficult to know which way the wind will blow on this one without seeing real numbers and math.
Meh I just don't see the lack of availability at amazon hurting Sony much on BF. Again, they're not even the biggest retailer for video games sales. If Sony has good deals, they will sell out regardless. My only concern is Sony seems to be focused on profit and they predict to sell less this year even though they're up YOY.

Prime days will give XB1/NSW a decent boost in July, but again I don't see it being massive. It's one retailer, one day, for prime members only. I say it gives them a ~25% boost at best.

These newly announced Spider-Man bundles (which is actually available at amazon for pre-order BTW) will give a bigger boost than prime day and lack of amazon availability combined IMO. Plus a highly possible RDR2 bundle for the holidays.

It should have more style and flair on it. Where are the spider webs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back