What will next-gen games look like? [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little disappointed, all across youtube you see thousands of comments some with nearly 1000 upvotes of people proclaiming that this next generation must have either true 4K in all games or 60fps in every single game. It including some prominent gaming related youtubers who are probably thought leaders for a portion of their viewership chime in that this generation better have true 4K or 60fps across the board.

I'm a little disappointed, all across youtube you see thousands of comments some with nearly 1000 upvotes of people proclaiming that this next generation must have either true 4K in all games or 60fps in every single game. It including some prominent gaming related youtubers who are probably thought leaders for a portion of their viewership chime in that this generation better have true 4K or 60fps across the board.
Disappointing? Yes and no, to me. In this very generation we're already achieving 4K or pseudo-4K solutions, and some other games are prioritizing framerate too, so it's natural that people want this what we already have (despite the compromises) as a standard... but without those compromises, or not all of them at least.

And yes, to me, because I still think that a game with better graphics and perfect AA in a lower resolution (nowadays, a lower resolution still implies HD or higher, nontheless!) or with 30 fps (with the exception of MP and sports games, maybe) is preferable that a game with worse graphics but in 4K or 60 fps.

I don't think there will be a huge difference in the variety of developing focuses in the next generation: some devs will prefer one way or the other. Some devs will prefer to offer better graphics even though 30 fps may be questionable for some people, other devs will offer what some people would call a better gameplay experience at a higher fps rate, and other devs will opt for a sweet spot in between.

So pc games dont use GPGPU, while they can?

All I know is Battlefield 1 is CPU bound on my 2500k which granted is old but I have it running at 4.2 GHz. I struggle to get a consistent 60fps. I know the console version probably doesn't run locked 60fps but for it to get close means they doing some kind of voodoo. I'm sure my 2500k at 4.2 GHz is quite a bit more capable than the Jaguar's in the consoles.

Disappointing? Yes and no, to me. In this very generation we're already achieving 4K or pseudo-4K solutions, and some other games are prioritizing framerate too, so it's natural that people want this what we already have (despite the compromises) as a standard... but without those compromises, or not all of them at least.

And yes, to me, because I still think that a game with better graphics and perfect AA in a lower resolution (nowadays, a lower resolution still implies HD or higher, nontheless!) or with 30 fps (with the exception of MP and sports games, maybe) is preferable that a game with worse graphics but in 4K or 60 fps.

I don't think there will be a huge difference in the variety of developing focuses in the next generation: some devs will prefer one way or the other. Some devs will prefer to offer better graphics even though 30 fps may be questionable for some people, other devs will offer what some people would call a better gameplay experience at a higher fps rate, and other devs will opt for a sweet spot in between.
But its unrealistic to expect all games be either 4K or 60fps. Sony and MS may face some big PR problems and some backlash when this doesn't come to fruition.
4K isn't realistic as you lok at the roadmaps for what the semiconductor industry can bring in terms of performance leaps at 7nm, devs are going to have to use various reconstruction methods like temporal reconstruction and checkerboard rendering to free up enough GPU resources to see a next gen worthy jumps in polycount, lighting, postprocessing, gpgpu based physics, shader complexity etc

60fps isn't realistic in every game as it ties devs hands. Also how do MS/MS enforce 60fps? What if a publisher releases a game that is 50-55fps does MS refuse to print their game and refuse to sell digital copies on XB Game Store, until they patch it for solid 60fps?

But its unrealistic to expect all games be either 4K or 60fps. Sony and MS may face some big PR problems and some backlash when this doesn't come to fruition.
4K isn't realistic as you lok at the roadmaps for what the semiconductor industry can bring in terms of performance leaps at 7nm, devs are going to have to use various reconstruction methods like temporal reconstruction and checkerboard rendering to free up enough GPU resources to see a next gen worthy jumps in polycount, lighting, postprocessing, gpgpu based physics, shader complexity etc

60fps isn't realistic in every game as it ties devs hands. Also how do MS/MS enforce 60fps? What if a publisher releases a game that is 50-55fps does MS refuse to print their game and refuse to sell digital copies on XB Game Store, until they patch it for solid 60fps?
You're right but my point still stands. Summing up, I'm just saying that I understand why people may expect those things because current generation already offers them. Next gen will be obviously more powerful, so it's natural to think that it will be easier to achieve those standards (with a compromise, of course and as always).

The Uncharted 4 trailer in OP is a cutscene. what does that have to do with anything? A cutscene can be arbitrarily impressive.

Gameplay only please.

The point of his post is just to show good rendering, not necessarily actual gameplay...

The Uncharted 4 trailer in OP is a cutscene. what does that have to do with anything? A cutscene can be arbitrarily impressive.

Gameplay only please.
It's to show what next-gen gameplay will look like. How can we give examples of what next-gen gameplay will look like by referencing current-gen gameplay only? Trailers, cutscenes, CGI and concept renders are necessary.

I expect a lot more dynamic graphics as in graphics that reacts to the player and his surroundings better. Clothing, hair, foliage and fancy lighting of course. I feel draw distance is now one of the biggest or most jarring aspects of this gens games, so hopefully a big improvement there.

Character models are about 3-4 times increase going from ps3 gen to ps4, Drake in UC3 34k vs Delsin from ISS 120k. So maybe approaching half million poly on average? The Thunderjaw from Horizon is 500k already so we'll probably see a couple of million poly major enemy model from time to time. Maybe we'll see Jurassic Park 1 level model at some point with next gen shaders, 4k textures and more complex muscle deformation.

The dark sorcerer main character was 1 million polygons. But that was Just a tech demo of course.

Edit:that was the set, not the character.
The goblin was 70k

In the current demo, there are about a million polygons in the set, and a little less than a million per character on the screen (i.e. a total of 4 million when the three characters are on the screen). Each character has about 350 MB of textures

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/11/the-dark-sorcerer-a-next-gen-comedy/

Last edited:
This is a fan made T Rex breakout demo replicating the original film's scene, not bad but still a ways to go.
Next gen should come much closer in terms of realistic muscle sim, skin shaders and animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back