The ceiling of Current Gen console graphics

ultragpu

Banned
So as we're winding down to the end of the current gen, we saw some rather stupendous looking real time graphics been pushed in games both released and upcoming. This E3 has shown us new light to what's possible once again, do you think we have reached the limit to what can be pushed on current gen consoles? Are games like The Last of Us II, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, some parts of Spiderman scratching the ceiling already? Not listing Cyberpunk yet not until we see how it looks on current gen consoles, come on now:).
Personally I feel like unless devs code games natively for the Pro or X without bounding their base consoles it's definitely possible, otherwise this is pretty much it.
the-last-of-us-part-ii-brightened-feat.jpg

original.jpg

508118-h1.jpg

Death-Stranding-E3-2018-25.jpg

Spider_Man_PS4_Swing_LEGAL.jpg

spider_man_electro_3840.jpg

Think theres no real limits to excellent art and design work like in the games above, those teams use every bit of power from those 4TF with amazing design perceiving "PS5" graphics.
According to many, Black on ps2 was next gen for its time too.

A few of these images nicely illustrate ”still photography” rendering.
The eye can’t see spiderman as in the first shot (since then the background would be sharp as well), DOF suggest a stopped down tele lens, say 200mm at f8 (spiderman is totally sharp, but background is pretty blurred), but that raises question marks regarding FOV.

I can’t see images like this and not feel a bit uncomfortable. Is rendered images as captured by unrealistic photographic equipment the ideal to strive for? The Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding images appeal more.

As to the question if we have tech for significantly better today, that is a tricky one. The developers who produced these probably did the best they could. To have an argument, you’d have to find ways in which to improve these significantly AND argue that this could have been achieved within the rendering budget given. Is such a line of argument even possible?

A few of these images nicely illustrate ”still photography” rendering.
The eye can’t see spiderman as in the first shot (since then the background would be sharp as well), DOF suggest a stopped down tele lens, say 200mm at f8 (spiderman is totally sharp, but background is pretty blurred), but that raises question marks regarding FOV.

I can’t see images like this and not feel a bit uncomfortable. Is rendered images as captured by unrealistic photographic equipment the ideal to strive for? The Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding images appeal more.

As to the question if we have tech for significantly better today, that is a tricky one. The developers who produced these probably did the best they could. To have an argument, you’d have to find ways in which to improve these significantly AND argue that this could have been achieved within the rendering budget given. Is such a line of argument even possible?
The first Spiderman shot is cropped tho, perhaps more comfortable to see in full frame.
There could also be a possibility that at least from Sony first party that they have peaked the visual advancement on PS4 and the Pro thus explaining why they didn't show any new titles at E3 fearing how the quantum leap in graphics of their new unannounced games could take away the lime spot from the Big 4.
Also I understand great art style and design could breath freshness in games but probably not nearly significant enough to be considered "better graphics".
I think this is it guys, not likely to see anything much better till next gen comes.

Back