Movie Reviews 2.0

My point was that it was most definitely dark for the rather light-hearted MCU. Just as the red wedding was very grim for a series where people are dying left and right all the time to begin with.
Yeah definitely, you're right. Very big difference between Ragnarok and Infinity War.

Watched the shape of water yesterday. Surprisingly good movie. Definitely recommend watching it.

Even though there are plenty of things happening, it somehow felt more relaxing and play slow paced (in a good way) than a lot of other movies.

Yeah definitely, you're right. Very big difference between Ragnarok and Infinity War.
It found the right balance in the atmosphere, IMO. AoU and also some other earlier flicks felt a bit overdramatized at times, kind of artificially trying to drag the mood down. In IW, things happened and audience could appreciate the severity of it all without anyone having to make a fuss about it on screen.

Thanos was the biggest surprise for me. Where Ultron immediately started to annoy me with the continuous rants, Thanos (while in practice not differing much on motives and actions) somehow felt much more interesting. Certainly the best portrayal of a proper villain in MCU.

Watched Jurassic Park World: Fallen Kingdom last night.

Pros:
- Dinosaurs
- Star-Lord Chris Pratt playing Star Lor... erm Owen Grady
-
The whole 20 seconds where
Jeff Goldblum appears
- Dinossaurs
- Not-overly-shoehorned commentary on the morality and ethics of scientific advances and their adoption
- After a short and mild first act, the rest of the movie pretty much makes one grab the chair up to the last minute using a very Jurassic Park-ey action+suspense+horror, and not taking in too many plot holes. They definitely pushed the PG13 horror limits as much as they possibly could here, by the way.
- Again lots of easter eggs from the first movies and from the previous one. :love:
- Dinossaurs
- Vulcanic apocalypse, with Dinossaurs

Cons:
- After the first act, the movie just gets too intense for too long, with very little pauses to appreciate the Dinossaurs, which leads to:
- No Music. There's almost no musical soundtrack in this movie. I think I heard Jurassic Park's main theme twice during a couple of seconds, as if it was just an easter egg and not an integral part of the movie. John Williams composed a masterpiece with Jurassic Park's music themes and that is completely gone with this last movie. There's a lot of orchestra-driven sound effects for suspense scenes but the music, particularly the original themes, is practically gone. This might be tied to the fact that there are very few calm moments in the movie, which are usually the moments where one would appreciate a dinosaur-filled landscape while listening to that great music.
- There are over 700 known species of dinosaurs (increasing every year) and they could easily dig up existing dinosaurs that could be threatening in different ways, yet
they went again with the genetic manipulation crap for the big bad monster. Now with added silliness of following erm.. laser targeting?! Who the hell is writing this?
- Still no feathered dinossaurs :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Done.
The spoiler tag messes with formatting, which is why I was trying to avoid it. I never used the dark theme and didn't know what the effects from using it are.

Done.
The spoiler tag messes with formatting, which is why I was trying to avoid it. I never used the dark theme and didn't know what the effects from using it are.
Thanks!

Formatting options like Bold, Italics etc are fine. All of the options are fine, apart from colors really. The text needs to be raw without any rich html applied so the forum can set the default colors for the theme. Usually problems arise when someone copy/pastes from another forum/site and it will keep a lot of that rich text information from the site with it, though you may not realize when posting from another light themed source. There's a Remove Formatting button on the editor which is handy for that purpose, or the old notepad cleaning method.

Saw Rampage yesterday. Ask yourself, do you want to see things getting F'n smashed or not? It's a fun ride, no thinking required or even allowed? :)

10 more days till Infinity war. 1st showing on the 25th, I'll be there.

If only you didn't have to wait 90 minutes for the fun, smashy bits. It was kinda like in the latest Godzilla. Except that movie at least had the occasional jaw dropping moment to tie you over. Rampage had the two dumbest villain characters instead. Cinematography was in a completely different league as well of course. The monster parts in Godzilla felt like visual poetry. The monster bits in Rampage never came across as anything more than workmanlike.

I'd lprobably like a Rampage director's cut where they'd throw out all the unneccessary baggage which didn't go anywhere. Things like the PMC unit, the stupid villains, the cloying sentimentality, all of Dwayne's coworkers the film completely forgets despite having spent a ton of time on them early on.

Last edited:
I've seen many people saying that, but I didn't felt it to be that slow... maybe a little bit. I think there was enough action even before the final bits. The villains, especially the dude was terrible though.

Excalibur (1981). Do you know when, in a movie, you don't know if something is meant to be comical or not, so that you end up suspecting that, if it was not, that means that the movie is a piece of shit? Some examples of "comical or not" elements were some sentences by the characters, some situations and even the "anal nathrakh" spell, WTF. The choice of the actor who played Arthur was... odd. He didn't look serious. He looked like he was best suited for a comical role. Not royal at all.

Also, the storytelling was deficient. It had some good points, though, like the acting of some characters, the fact that it shows the whole life of Arthur, and the photography (some shots are very clever or stunning).

I remember it came out the same time as Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits. People opted for the light hearted romp instead. Though Excalibur had a nice look to it, and I still remember the one funny line from it when the kid asks Merlin where's the kitchen, Merlin says follow your nose, and the kid actually tried to use his nose as if it was a pointer.

I posted this in the anime thread (I'm not sure what thread I must use when it comes to anime movies :D ):

Mary and the Witch's Flower. Hm, not bad, but the quality of the drawings (not the animation, per se, nor the backgrounds, which were gorgeous) seemed weird to me. I don't know if it was just a change in style or if it was just worse in comparison to previous films, and this doubt is not good. Also, I definitely miss Hisaishi's music for Studio Ghibli movies.

Ant-Man and the Wasp is now officially holding the title of The SuperHero Movie I Have Seen with Shortest Delay After Its Premier Night. It was exactly as I hoped - good fun, stuff you expect from a Summer Movie.
I have a feeling the Marvel/Disney execs are betting on female lead characters as the 'next' thing in Marvel - Wasp is already a co-lead here; everybody already knows about Captain Marvel, and seemingly Black Widow might be getting her own movie after all. A cynic might think this is a marketing reaction to Wonder Woman's success...
But I bet they still don't have the balls to make Thor a woman.

The God of Thunder could be a woman. But when people think of Thor there's an element of Captain Hammer to that. :)

P.S. "But I bet they still don't have the balls to make Thor a woman." Made me laugh, was the irony of using "balls" there intentional? :)

Edit: I still have a few copies of the issue when they made Thor an alien (Beta Ray Bill). Please go with that!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_Ray_Bill

Last edited:
Indeed! It was my first time watching it all, now that I'm not Christian anymore, hahaha! Which was even funnier, because I compared myself to the people of the town. :D

Yesterday I watched The Dark Crystal (yup, some of you may have noticed that I'm a bit of a nostalgic when it comes to the 80s). I found it very original and I soon wanted to know if there were any sequels or prequels: it turns out that there's a project for a sequel and maybe next year a Netflix prequel series.

Back