Microsoft XBOX Mouse and Keyboard Support *split*

@Shifty Geezer I think the main issue is that if games are required to support gamepad, it's just too difficult to try to make that fit into most mobas. If they could just do keyboard and mouse only, I bet there'd be a lot more interest because it'd be a straight port. The biggest barrier then is money, and splitting micro revenue.

That's my suggestion - make it KB/M only and sell it as a Windows game. I don't see any problems with that.

There’s a technical hurdle that needs to be resolved with the Win10 kernel unfortunately. So it may take a while longer.

What's the kernel, I/O, driver model on Xbox One? Isn't it the same as Windows 10?

Same as windows 3.1 I think? It’s never changed IIRC.
Windows 3.x used VxD which was replaced by WDM. What is the technical hurdle? There's nothing on the Windows 10 side :nope:

Phil also announced a collaboration with Razer for an Xbox mouse/keyboard product. Guess we will hear more at XO18 in November.

Tommy McClain

I still don't understand the "official" part, is it a branding thing? M&K is USB. Either the SW allows M&K control or is doesn't . So it will end up like the PS4, some games allow it and most do not (due to balance)?

I think it's just native M/K support over USB, same as PS3 offered. Same as PS4 has offered since launch. Anyone who thinks this will amount to a sea change in the kind of games available is in for a long, slow shock as nothing happens. Epic is the only developer I'm away of who supported anything more than text input via k/m on PS4. And one of their two games with support has since shut down. Maybe this means MS wants to port over Age of Empires 4 and the Gears tactics game, but third parties have had all generation to support K/M on the number one selling console and effectively no one bothered.

For me, the biggest hurdle to KBM support on consoles is the fact they are played on a couch at distance without a desk/table, and that's not going to change. Without suitable ergonomics, no-one's going to want to use KM/B so it remain niche, and a small enough one to probably never bother with. However, what this means for XBox is that PC ports will support KBM even if the console owners don't use it thanks to being Win 10 titles, and that value-add for Play Anywhere will be good for the system.

I agree that most console players are in a home theater/living room setup where using a keyboard and mouse could be very awkward. I expect the Razer peripherals to be wireless, but you still need somewhere to sit comfortably. Mouse and keyboard really only works at a desk..

That said, if they can bring one of the three big popular moba games to the console, it's suddenly a very affordable way to access a new genre of game. RTS games suddenly become accessible and an RPG like Divinity: Original Sin becomes FAR easier to play. It's not just about shooters. It's primarily about games, for me. Although I do love mouse and keyboard for shooters.

When MS say they are working with Developers to bring M&KB to XBO gamers, I wonder just how much are they working with them? Enough that MS are willing to do the work of implanting M&KB? Just evangelizing M&KB and urging developers to implement it?

One thing that seems to be missed is that now that both core console makers support M&KB and the increasing importance of PC games for some developers. That means they can design with M&KB from the ground up (since it is supported by both of the major console platforms) and then not have to worry about going out of their way to add it when the game gets ported to PC, especially if the game has a simultaneous PC launch.

Maybe this will mean we won't get as much half assed M&KB support in games on PC (many console ports allow rebinding keys, but always forget some keys that end up un-rebindable).

Regards,
SB

We'll know more Nov 5 for the full announcement. For me, I see the beginning of a pathway towards yet more merging between the Windows and Xbox ecosystems.

Where with a laptop, tablet or streaming device, you can stream games down and be able to leverage KB/M for those games since that is the natural peripheral setup for such devices. For me this is an obvious step for MS.

Last edited:
Those MMOs might jump on it.

Just after Blizzcon? :V

j/k
There might be a small market for people looking for a cheap and effective desktop experience that can play games well at console quality levels for significantly less effort than setting up a PC.
Let Office get on board with social media and they've hit like 90% of what people use PCs for. Minus the BitTorrent.

There might be a small market for people looking for a cheap and effective desktop experience that can play games well at console quality levels for significantly less effort than setting up a PC.

The only thing that would be unattractive is needing the Gold subscription vs PC. It'd make for an interesting product for China or South Korea or gaming café's if they get the right ports.

MS needs to do something about the Gold wall & F2P... (more complaining pls)

Let Office get on board with social media and they've hit like 90% of what people use PCs for. Minus the BitTorrent.

Raises hand.

But M&KB is only a start if they want me to move to their console with PC like gaming experience. Needs to have rebindable keybinds, FOV slider setting (get nausea with default console FOV), more customizable graphics (no go if I can't disable DOF and motion blur, for example) as well as support for at a minimum 60 FPS in all titles via graphics customization (either fully customizable or a 60 FPS toggle that doesn't dip below 60 FPS more than 1% of the time).

In other words, probably not happening in the next console, if ever. :(

Regards,
SB

Raises hand.

But M&KB is only a start if they want me to move to their console with PC like gaming experience. Needs to have rebindable keybinds, FOV slider setting (get nausea with default console FOV), more customizable graphics (no go if I can't disable DOF and motion blur, for example) as well as support for at a minimum 60 FPS in all titles via graphics customization (either fully customizable or a 60 FPS toggle that doesn't dip below 60 FPS more than 1% of the time).

In other words, probably not happening in the next console, if ever. :(

Regards,
SB

You can actually do all of those things in battlefield. Too bad it's not the norm. Well, not keybinds, but hopefully that's part of their keyboard/mouse support.

You can actually do all of those things in battlefield. Too bad it's not the norm. Well, not keybinds, but hopefully that's part of their keyboard/mouse support.

You can also do some of those in Sea of Thieves. You can change controller bindings, FOV & a few other settings. I suspect most of the Play Anywhere titles will eventually get there.

Tommy McClain

Back