AMD announces FreeSync 2

Polaris and Vega GPUs will all support FreeSync through HDMI 2.1 on TVs with VRR in a future driver update:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/ces-2018-2018jan07.aspx

In the meantime, nvidia needs to get into partnerships with OEMs to release ultra expensive Gaming TVs just to get variable refresh rate into larger screens.

Kind of confirms a suspicion of mine about Freesync, HDMI 2.1 VRR and why MS was able to promise HDMI 2.1 VRR compatibility for Xbox One X so early.

Kind of confirms a suspicion of mine about Freesync, HDMI 2.1 VRR and why MS was able to promise HDMI 2.1 VRR compatibility for Xbox One X so early.
Because VRR is probably just a copy/paste of VESA's adaptive sync?
I think many of us thought that..

Now, if only NV will think of its users and finally enable support for VESA Adaptive Sync instead of trying to force people into their proprietary system. If Gsync really is superior, support for VESA Adaptive Sync won't prevent enthusiast gamers from continuing to buy Gsync.

Either that or NV will continue to be greedy and/or spiteful (VESA Adaptive Sync having been driven by AMD in the past) and continue to not support a VRR standard.

Regards,
SB

Either that or NV will continue to be greedy and/or spiteful (VESA Adaptive Sync having been driven by AMD in the past) and continue to not support a VRR standard.
Since VRR will be part of the next HDMI standard I doubt NV could claim HDMI compatibility while blocking VRR from functioning without a Gsync module in the TV/monitor. And refusing to upgrade HDMI compatibility over an issue like Gsync probably isn't a hill NV wants to die on - Gsync can't possibly make them that much money.

But we'll see what happens. NV is fucking evil incarnate, they'll find a way to screw their own customers if there is one.

I'm pretty sure vrr is an optional feature
I've always asked this but I've never been able to get clarification. The public data for HDMI indicates it as a feature but not whether it is required to meet standard or not.

VRR is as optional as anything else in HDMI.
A TV with HDMI 2.0 doesn't have to support more than stereo audio despite HDMI 2.0 supporting up to 32 audio channels.
The Playstation VR's breakout box uses HDMI 2.0 but it doesn't have to support HDR even though the spec supports it.
A future Roku set-top-box with HDMI 2.1 for 8K content and Dynamic HDR etc. obviously won't support VRR because the thing won't play games.

The HDMI Forum only establishes standards for communication between receiver and sender, but it doesn't force any hardware maker to adopt feature X or Y from a certain standard.
It's the other way around: a TV maker that releases a new model with new features has to adopt the newest HDMI standard to get those features to work.

Same with VESA not forcing nvidia to adopt adaptive sync with the displayport 1.3/14 outputs in their discrete graphics cards, even though that's exactly what the mobile geforces are using in "g-sync laptops".

So... yes, nvidia will be as greedy and spiteful as they possibly can with this.

So... yes, nvidia will be as greedy and spiteful as they possibly can with this.
That's pretty much my assumption. At some point they'll partner with Vizio or something for "gamer TVs" with G-Sync modules.

That's my kind of TV, since I stream cable TV through my shield and HTPCs, and that thing has shield built in! I'm sure I'd have to sell my first born to afford it though.

That's pretty much my assumption. At some point they'll partner with Vizio or something for "gamer TVs" with G-Sync modules.

I'm not sure that's where any TV manufacturer wants to go unless a console maker with a large market base (IE - Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo) includes G-Sync support. The TV market is so cutthroat that unless there is a demonstrable demand for something or an industry push for something (3D even though it failed, for example) it isn't going to be included.

Adaptive Sync (FreeSync) gets a pass here because there are now multiple cheap scalers that include that functionality. IE - it doesn't increase the cost of a TV more than a few pennies over not having it.

Hence why there are so many FreeSync displays for every G-Sync display. Hell, even my 2nd tier Korean 49" 4K Wasabi Mango display has FreeSync and I got this about 2 years ago. Of course, I never really used the adaptive sync on it back when I still used a 290. At 60 Hz and below, even with smooth presentation, you can feel the variations in control response (50-60 Hz variable). That's one of the things that drives me absolutely bonkers with Destiny 2. It's locked 60 most of the time, but occasionally for who knows what reason it'll dip down as low as 55 Hz on my machine and that makes aiming really uncomfortable for me. Sometimes with almost nothing going on in the scene when most of the time in that exact same location with lots of enemies (public event) it'll be a locked 60. I just don't get it.

Basically after having tried VRR both on my machine as well as friends who have G-Sync, I am no longer a believer in VRR. Over 144 Hz slight variations aren't as noticeable so it's not as bad there, but overall I just don't like VRR. I'd much rather have Variable Resolution and fixed framerate.

Perhaps NVidia would be willing to pay a TV manufacturer to make a G-Sync Television, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Regards,
SB

Samsung 2018 QLEDs just got FreeSync (2)

Radeon FreeSync Technology Brings Smooth Gaming to the Big Screen: Introducing FreeSync technology for New Samsung QLED TVs
  • 20 Samsung QLED TVs join the industry’s largest gaming display ecosystem [1]with more than 250 Radeon FreeSync technology-enabled monitors worldwide—
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — June 5, 2018 — AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) and Samsung today announced support for Radeon FreeSync™ technology in the new Samsung QLED 55” to 82” TV range, bringing the ultimate, ultrawide 4K gaming experience to an entirely new format – big screen TVs. Samsung is the first company to utilize industry-leading Radeon FreeSync adaptive refresh technology for stutter-free gaming inside a consumer television set. With High Dynamic Range (HDR) [2]support up to 1000nits and stunning picture quality, Samsung’s QLED displays allow gamers to experience strikingly high refresh rates and low latency on TVs at a variety of price points and screen sizes ranging from 55” to 82” creating a single display for all their home entertainment needs.

Over the past three years, Radeon FreeSync™ technology has driven widespread adoption and become the industry’s most selected solution for smooth gaming. Earlier this year, AMD expanded the ecosystem by propelling tear-free gameplay beyond the PC with the launch of support for FreeSync™ technology in Microsoft’s Xbox One S and Xbox One X consoles in early March.[3] With more than 250 compatible displays offered by more than 20 partners, this is more than double the availability of competing technology.

“Whether you’re a console or PC gamer, playing on a PC display or your living room TV, Radeon FreeSync™ technology powers exceptional stutter-free gaming experiences,” said Scott Herkelman, vice president and general manager, Radeon Technologies Group, AMD. “We launched FreeSync™ technology with a mission to end frame tearing and dropped frames, as well as improve the experience for gamers around the world. With Samsung’s FreeSync™ technology QLED TVs, extra smooth gameplay visuals have never been so accessible, and never in such a large and appealing format.”

“From the beginning, Samsung has embraced Radeon FreeSync™ technology and the commitment from AMD to deliver technologies based on open standards that enhance the gaming experience,” said Chu Jongsuk, senior vice president at Samsung. “Our users demand the absolute best in visual quality, and that extends to smooth gaming low latency. We're thrilled to bring the power of Radeon FreeSync™ technology to Samsung TVs for players around the world.”

“AMD and Microsoft have a long history of innovation, collaborating on hardware and software to bring gamers the best possible experiences,” said Matthew Lapsen, general manager, Xbox Console Marketing. “With FreeSync™ technology support for our Xbox One platform, AMD and Microsoft brought a critical gaming technology to a broader base of gamers. We’re offering a whole new caliber of smooth-looking gameplay to players on Xbox One S and Xbox One X.”

FreeSync™ technology for Samsung’s 2018 QLED TV range is available today for the QLED 55” – 82” models and the NU8000 / NU8500 55” – 82” Series. This will be delivered as part of an automatic Gamer Mode update. Please check for updates on Samsung’s official website at www.samsung.com

[1] Number of FreeSync technology enabled screens available (254) at https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors - Largest ecosystem when compared to publicly available listings of competing product solutions at https://www.144hzmonitors.com/list-of-g-sync-monitors/ and https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/list-of-gsync-monitors/ which list 58 screens respectively.

[2] FreeSync 2 does not require HDR capable monitors; driver can set monitor in native mode when FreeSync 2 supported HDR content is detected. Otherwise, HDR content requires that the system be configured with a fully HDR-ready content chain, including: graphics card, graphics driver and application. Video content must be graded in HDR and viewed with an HDR-ready player. Windowed mode content requires operating system support. GD-105

[3] To enable variable refresh on Xbox One family consoles, a compatible display with FreeSync™ over HDMI and a bottom variable refresh rate below 60Hz is required GD-129

Freesync 2 @ counter 16:00

AMD tries to clear up confusion over FreeSync 2 HDR rebranding
In an interview with PC Perspective, AMD’s senior marketing manager Antal Tungler clarified that while the addition of HDR is the crux of improvements to the FreeSync successor, that isn’t all it enhances. Tungler states that FreeSync 2 HDR is basically on par with VESA’s DisplayHDR 600 certification, claiming that the company will always aim for the highest brightness, contrast ratio and colour gamut as possible without sacrificing the variable refresh rate.

This contrasts the range of FreeSync 2 monitors already in circulation that only achieve DisplayHDR 400 certification. These displays will now be able to carry the newly clarified FreeSync 2 HDR title despite not hitting DisplayHDR 600, further fragmenting customer understanding of the technology. AMD acknowledged this in a statement to TechPowerUp, explaining that the two technologies are “separate and independent from each other.”
https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals...-up-confusion-over-freesync-2-hdr-rebranding/

I'm confused

“When DisplayHDR 400 was defined, it was clear from the start that the FreeSync 2 requirements for colour gamut, max brightness, and contrast ratio set a higher bar than DisplayHDR 400. AMD is not lowering the bar for FreeSync 2 HDR to align with DisplayHDR 400. We’re clarifying that a display that meets the requirements for DisplayHDR 600, or higher, could meet the color gamut, max brightness and contrast ratio requirements of FreeSync 2 HDR.”

This means that it is possible for displays to meet the requirements for AMD’s FreeSync 2 HDR, but still fall short of VESA’s DisplayHDR 600 minimums.

These statements seem to contradict each other.

AMD has raised the bar for Freesync 2 HDR certification to require HDR 600, but there are already Freesync 2 monitors on the market that only meet the HDR 400 standard.

AMD has raised the bar for Freesync 2 HDR certification to require HDR 600, but there are already Freesync 2 monitors on the market that only meet the HDR 400 standard.
That later statement was released just to clear this confusion.
DisplayHDR 600 displays should be always FreeSync 2 HDR capable too (Assuming they include FreeSync 2 support obviously).
DisplayHDR 400 displays in general probably won't meet FreeSync 2 HDR requirements
Current FreeSync 2 displays, which are DisplayHDR 400 but not 600 certified, still remain FreeSync 2 HDR certified too, as they meet the actual requirements of FreeSync 2 HDR (which is visibly twice the color space and contrast compared to typical SDR display). There can be new displays, which like the current ones, meet DisplayHDR 400 and FreeSync 2 HDR certification but not DisplayHDR 600, but not all DisplayHDR 400 displays will do.

Back