Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost each new console generation had 16x more RAM. This means what nex consoles should have 128GB of RAM. Dou you guys think this is possible?
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Just think about that in relation to the PC market. What's the RAM in a high end PC like? You're looking at a grand at least for that sort of memory. That's not going to make it's way down to 1/10th of its price in a couple of years.

As long as there's fast NAND on there, 16 GBs would be plenty.

They still use that for games?
lol wow.
harsh.

I think they have a greater suite of tools other than just the player, but I could be wrong.

But IIRC Casey Muratori was mentioning something like bink being around for so long because of how well optimized it was. They continue to optimize their tools for maximum performance.

I guess there must be some truth there, thinking how long bink has been around. I guess it's minimal work to upkeep and lots of profit as a result.

They still use that for games?

Being in film and video production, and loving GTA V... I've actually modded all the in-game (Bink) theater movies with actual movies in 1080p, nothing over 3GB in size. Gives GTA V a more life-like feel when you head to the movies. Currently, Thor Ragnarok, Scarface and Sicario are playing in my theaters. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

During E3, Phil Spencer talked about "the next Xbox consoles" and reports discuss a family of machines codenamed 'Scarlett', set to arrive in 2020. So if there's more than one new Xbox in development, what could Microsoft have cooking? Rich has some theories...

DF/Rich always seem to have the unfortunate habit of crediting a secondary source on these leaks. e.g. in the above case Thurrott getting the credit for breaking Scarlett (or Scarlet) when a 10 second search shows Windows Central broke the Scarlet project in their 2018 predictions list in December 2017: https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-2018-predictions (Previous to this WC's Jez Corden also tweeted that Xbox was working on the next console and it had a codename in July 2017)

Zac Bowden said:
Regarding Xbox, I've not heard of any new products on the horizon for 2018. I do know Microsoft is working on a new Xbox product codenamed Scarlet, but whether Microsoft is planning to release it next year is unknown. We also don't know much about the Scarlet project itself, so we're going to keep digging for information on that.

Back to the video and did he just list and dismiss 4 possible options and come to the conclusion Phil was just meaning consoles as in a mid-gen iteration when 5nm/3nm come out in 2022+?

I think Rich was trying to provide some options with higher probabilities than others.

I have been thinking about a possible “surface Xbox” line that is basically a console laptop. Ryzen, 6-8TF runs cool, runs windows apps, m/KB, but can flip and play console titles with a controller. It’s an area they need to explore.

I think Rich was trying to provide some options with higher probabilities than others.

I have been thinking about a possible “surface Xbox” line that is basically a console laptop. Ryzen, 6-8TF runs cool, runs windows apps, m/KB, but can flip and play console titles with a controller. It’s an area they need to explore.

Me too

Seems like consoles are more and more becoming like a pc, more so xbox. A good thing that is, as it might mean apps and games are till both.

I’ve also been thinking of this. Something in the Surface to Switch size range would be good. I think it’s important it functions as a full Surface product should to make it independently useful outside of gaming use.

I’ve also been thinking of this. Something in the Surface to Switch size range would be good. I think it’s important it functions as a full Surface product should to make it independently useful outside of gaming use.
It's definitely needs to have enough battery power to power the chip for a significantly long enough time, so perhaps 2-3 hours of mobile gaming. I'm thinking with a 6 TF GPU + Ryzen, you're still looking at something closer to Surface Laptop in terms of size and cooling requirements, I think Surface the tablet is a little too tiny.

But looking at MS strategy here:
1080p/1440p with 6TF is plentiful for next gen. And it's reasonable to have something like this in a laptop form factor, not quite tablet though.
We expect to see more 1080p/1440p laptop style screens going forward, it's not like we see laptops moving to 4K. Its there, but they also do weird resolution things so that that things only appear crisper not smaller. A good baseline for quality for graphics. Xbox already supports DSR so older 4K titles will benefit here on this device.

4K resolution targeting living room experiences. Reasonable here to support 120fps @ 1080p. Or other similar options. 4K for those that want it, HDR etc. DSR of course, an overall better experience than above. As suggested, likely starting somewhere in the 12 TF range leveraging reconstruction techniques and what not.

That should theoretically, allow for Scorpio to stick around for a couple years beyond 2020. It's not the new baseline, but it can be used for games that don't take full advantage of that Ryzen processor.

I think Microsoft could make the X1X their baseline by making their next-gen offerings a platform rather than specific hardware.

It would mean they would already have an install base come the launch of that platform, and would make shrinks of the X1X SoC worthwhile, including changing the CPU to some version of Zen, even if just for lower power draw, especially if releasing some sort of portable.

I still can't shake the notion of a multi tier launch, potentially from both Sony and Microsoft. A laptop sized console, without a screen and battery, and focussed on 1080p-1440p would be a great way to keep the cost of entry low for most gamers, and build up an install base quickly. Meanwhile, for the gamers that want it, a higher tier machine could exist too.

It just needs to be marketed clearly i.e. PS5 1080 and PS5 4K.

In terms of hardware, a hybrid of Sony's and Microsoft's mid-gen approaches would be best IMO: the 2.x difference in power of the PS4 and Pro, and the increased memory of the X1X.

PlayStation example:

-- PS5 1080 --

- ~6.2 TF Navi GPU (for marketing, some amount more powerful than the X1X)
- 8 core Zen CPU clocked at 2.5GHz
- 16GB HBM3
- 32GB NAND
- 1TB HDD
- UHD Blu-ray drive
- $300 at launch

-- PS5 4K --

- ~13TF Navi GPU
- 8 core Zen CPU clocked at 3.5GHz
- 24GB HBM3
- 64GB NAND
- 2TB HDD
- UHD Blu-ray drive
- $550 at launch

Going to sound boring but I just don't see Sony (Microsoft have nothing to lose in trying something different) changing anything over what they did with PS4 if possible.

PS5 will have a good spec at a good price with maybe one 8GB-like wow feature or something as close to that as possible. I just can't see Sony taking any risks having retaken the initiative after PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back