What will next-gen games look like? [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everything running at 30fps except pure photo realism (no stylized realism) will hit a brick wall in terms of diminishing returns. As long as devs spend some resources on finally getting rid of dithered shadows and use good texture filtering. Expect to see plenty of games not hitting native 4k though.

How much detail we see is going to come down to budget and time rather than the result of limited resources.

It makes you think "what the hell happened".
This generation raised the expectations way too high

I mean....what kind of specs were these games running on? You dont get that kind of quality even with the best games in terms of visuals that are available now.

It makes you think "what the hell happened".
This generation raised the expectations way too high

The expectations that console gamers have are that of a section 8 recipient. Wanting a affluent lifestyle on a welfare based income. Meaning; console gamers either need to change their perception on what $399 gets them, or pay a more premium price for such graphics and performance.

The expectations that console gamers have are that of a section 8 recipient. Wanting a affluent lifestyle on a welfare based income. Meaning; console gamers either need to change their perception on what $399 gets them, or pay a more premium price for such graphics and performance.
Those expectations were raised by these previews/tech demos. Not even PC games dont have that kind of quality currently

This already looks better than all of them except for the fluid dynamic fire in Deep Down and it's running on a Pro.
I expect this kind of visual as a baseline with first party titles looking considerably better.
Looks nice but it's just a small tech-demo with no gameplay. Doesn't look that different from PC Crysis 3.

Looks a lot better than Crysis 3 PC
I'm surprised you did not use your famous battlefront PC, which looks closer (or equal) and better than Crysis 3 too.

Looks a lot better than Crysis 3 PC
I'm surprised you did not use your famous battlefront PC, which looks closer (or equal) and better than Crysis 3 too.
The assets look more realistic simply because of photogrammetry. Also, the BoftD area is tiny compared to any level of those games.

Looks nice but it's just a small tech-demo with no gameplay. Doesn't look that different from PC Crysis 3.
Er..no lol. Crysis 3 PC doesn't even have proper PBR, volumetric light. The foliage density, lighting are not even close.
3072067-9545827604-0HPZd.jpg

The_Forest-e1516134962790.png

Yeah, not different at all.

Lets not turn this thread into yet another graphical engine/game comparisons...

Isn't it just a piss-take thread anyway? I thought the intention was to highlight dodgy PR marketing for this gen.

No volumetric lighting you say?

Plus a lot more... including gameplay. BotD represents a major leap for Unity but not for videogame graphics.

On topic, here are a few more:

60fps goodies.

In all the videos posted, only the Infiltrator demo, Death Stranding and Uncharted trailer impress me. I don't think these graphics would be feasable, at least at 4k/60fps.

I would be disapointed if next-gen looked like Deep Dawn or Star Wars 2013...

In all the videos posted, only the Infiltrator demo, Death Stranding and Uncharted trailer impress me. I don't think these graphics would be feasable, at least at 4k/60fps.

I would be disapointed if next-gen looked like Deep Dawn or Star Wars 2013...
Well in the case of Deep Down, not only were they doing real-time 3D fluid simulation for the fire, it was also using voxel cone tracing for its lighting. Other details like the area shadows are something we don't see this gen.

As for 1313, overall it's not that amazing, it's mostly really good design but the city views are defininitely something not achievable this gen. The BF games certainly don't look anywhere near as good. BF1 was downgraded from it's initial teaser. Polygon count, materials, lighting, particles, etc... all took a hit.

Edit: heh, I guess it's another for the thread. Next-gen Battlefront sure is gonna look nice:

cyN0G44h_o.jpeg

7O0CVJPT_o.jpeg
yrPkEMBG_o.jpeg

:LOL:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back