Insomniacs Stormland (Oculus exclusive)

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
https://www.oculus.com/blog/reclaim...and-insomniacs-latest-vr-game-coming-to-rift/

So insomniac just dropped a teaser for their new game . The game itself looks interesting and has co-op its slated for 2019 .

"
34592727_177322536264012_175838434999402496_n.jpg
In the game, you can explore an expansive environment with complete freedom—bound up cliffs, glide across chasms, and fly through the slipstream at near-terminal velocity. Then detonate explosives, harness electricity, and wield makeshift weapons to overcome titanium sentries and monolithic guardians. Play through a dramatic single-player campaign, or explore forgotten ruins with friends.

Near-terminal velocity? :???:

Sounds faster than it is and depends on atmospheric conditions.

For example (from Wikipedia)...

Based on wind resistance, for example, the terminal velocity of a skydiver in a belly-to-earth (i.e., face down) free fall position is about 195 km/h (120 mph; 54 m/s).

Higher speeds can be attained if the skydiver pulls in his or her limbs (see also freeflying). In this case, the terminal velocity increases to about 320 km/h (200 mph or 90 m/s),[2] which is almost the terminal velocity of the peregrine falcon diving down on its prey.

So, while it's fast it's isn't incredibly fast. You can drive faster than that in an automobile on the Autobahn. :) Well, greater than 200 mph (320 km/h) would be difficult and the authorities might have a problem with it. :) And airplanes routinely go much faster than that.

In game terms the speed can be anything they want it to be and the explanation would just varying atmospheric conditions. Assuming they'd want to even bother explaining it.

Their flying movement system in the game is interesting (you're skimming across clouds and can use and manipulate the cloud layer to form ramps which you can use to briefly launch yourself higher into the air).

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I know what terminal velocity it, which makes me wonder how you can reach near terminal velocity speeds. Whatever speed you can't get faster than is your terminal velocity speed! ;)

Back