VR Tracking *spawn*

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
Define "fine". The OG PS4 has to render some PSVR games at 720p and under resolutions sometimes in order to keep acceptable frame rate, like in the case of RE7. The OG Xbox One frequently runs non-VR games under OG PS4 resolution and even under 720p, so you really think that OG Xbox One would be able to give a satisfactory experience in VR?

what modern games is the one running at under 720p ? Regardless if people are fine with psvr at 720p I don't see why they wouldn't be fine with xbox one games at 720p. The ps4 also has horrible tracking that MS shouldn't have if they use their slam tech in their mixed headsets

It's hard to assume there are technical limitations. WMR headsets require HDMI 2.0 and USB 3.0 connections, both of which are available on the XboneX. Its tech specs are comfortably higher than WMR's own minimum specs too.

Which is why I'm more inclined to marketing reasons and brand perception. I really believe supporting WMR on the XboneX would come almost for free, but seeing how the direct competition is so far then Microsoft may just be avoiding it altogether.

As a PSVR user, I disagree.

I have experienced it first hand and its been reported as an issue on many gaming websites like giant bomb. You have a single camera tracking you so anything room scale or just turning around will result in a poor tracking set up compared to slam

I have experienced it first hand and its been reported as an issue on many gaming websites like giant bomb. You have a single camera tracking you so anything room scale or just turning around will result in a poor tracking set up compared to slam
The Playstation Camera is a dual camera module.
No PSVR title I played so far is made for room scaling. Everything is supposed to be sitting VR.

The Playstation Camera is a dual camera module.
No PSVR title I played so far is made for room scaling. Everything is supposed to be sitting VR.
yes but you can't move the cameras apart from each other so you only get a single angle on the person its tracking.

And yes sitting vs standing is a huge issue. PSVR is only good for front facing games. Its like limiting you to only racing games while other platforms allow everything

PSVR has brought VR to a really affordable price.
At the time it released roomscale was not available on PC yet.
For 800€ you had the complete setup PS4pro + PSVR and camera, on PC for that price you only had the headset, without cameras or the PC to run it.
So as limited as PSVR is, it was and is still an awesome value to discover and enjoy VR.
Of course it has big flaws still, and that's why we need a PSVR 2 for the PS5.
But every single person who tried my headset, even the doubters and naysayers (and i have a friend who is a big one), came back amazed.

yes but you can't move the cameras apart from each other so you only get a single angle on the person its tracking.

And yes sitting vs standing is a huge issue. PSVR is only good for front facing games. Its like limiting you to only racing games while other platforms allow everything

I have played 100+ hours of Skyrim VR standing while walking and sitting while on the horse, with barely any problem with tracking. People assume that because there is only one camera, controller tracking is limited to 180 degrees. It is not, it is a bit more than that, since your body does not cover 100% of the camera center (unless you are really, really fat). I can turn quite a bit around without the moves losing tracking. In fact, while fighting a boss on Skyrim VR, after I killed him I noticed I was with my back completely against the camera! But since I fight with arms open and not in front of my body, I never noticed at all until it was dead!

Additionally, games like Farpoint know that and they show you adequate grid boundaries. If you try to turn around, the grid does not show as 180 degrees, but a bit more than that, with what I perceive as a 45 degrees "triangle top" right from your back. I can turn around more than 90 degrees with the Aim Controller without losing tracking, as long as I do not go over that grid.

Last edited:
They're apart enough to allow for perspective-based calculations based on the blue LEDs in the headset. They detect pretty well if you lean forward/backward or rotate. I hit my head on my sofa a couple of times when trying to look into virtual shelves. If the tracking was bad I wouldn't become immersed to the point of hitting my head on furniture.

It's made for sitting VR and it's pretty good at it. Your previous assessment of PSVR's tracking was that it's horrible, when it's not.

I could argue that oculus, vive and WMR are all horrible for room scale VR because frankly they're just a bunch of terrible tripping accidents waiting to happen due to the wires running around.
In reality, it's just a limitation of the technology being used, so I won't call them horrible.

If I had to guess, the PSVR2 for PS5 will probably use inside-out tech and be wireless so they can introduce room scale VR. I don't think Sony will get anywhere near room scale VR with wired headsets. If the PSVR2 is wired then they'll stick with sitting VR.

If you would only so much READ your links instead of just googling and posting them, you would see that the tracking issues they talk about are easily fixed and related to room set up. Do you really believe I would have played 100+ of Skyrim if tracking was that poor? I'm not a masochist...

In fact, some of these issues are not exclusive to PSVR, but also happen with Vive and Rift!!!

http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-3102958/resolve-tracking-issues-htc-vive.html

Step 5. Issues caused by reflective surfaces
  • This can also cause you tracking problems.
  • Try to cover all the surfaces in your VR area that can cause a reflection.

PSVR gets all the flack and hate because it is the most average consumer oriented kit, so it is way more exposed to more media. But its tracking problems, apart from the presence of a single camera, are not that different from what other VR platforms have.

Last edited:
tracking on PSVR is really dependent on room setup, and especially light sources, as it tracks the lights on the headset and controllers, parasite lights can be a problem, but do not play in a dark room either.
then it's also important to turn on the headset standing on a flat surface.
but when setup right, tracking is good for hours, i had up to three hours sessions of RE7 wihout much trouble.
But yeah there's room for improvement. Inside out tracking like the lenovo mirage solo seems to work well.

If you would only so much READ your links instead of just googling and posting them, you would see that the tracking issues they talk about are easily fixed and related to room set up. Do you really believe I would have played 100+ of Skyrim if tracking was that poor? I'm not a masochist...

In fact, some of these issues are not exclusive to PSVR, but also happen with Vive and Rift!!!

http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-3102958/resolve-tracking-issues-htc-vive.html

PSVR gets all the flack and hate because it is the most average consumer oriented kit, so it is way more exposed to more media. But its tracking problems, apart from the presence of a single camera, are not that different from what other VR platforms have.
I did read them , most report mixed success. I am sure psvr works great if I play in the dark with all windows covered over and the room painted in black.

Is that really necessary? Does that really help discuss the pros and cons about VR? Why do you reject the opinions of PSVR owners giving their personal experiences?
I am an owner of psvr fyi. I have also listed examples from other owners and publications listing the issues

I centered the left lens to the center of my play space and immediately noticed better tracking! The most noticeable difference was that I experienced significantly less drifting. There was still a little drift and the environment jittered occasionally, but my experience was miles better than the night before.

I mean there are threads about the issues every where on the net. I brought up slam as being one improvement over psvr that they can offer in the console space which would give them much better tracking and room scale tracking. Slam works extremely well on the $200-$400 windows vr headsets. So it would most likely end up on an xbox vr headset too since it can be offered at $200. Since its been what 2 years since psvr now thy would surely be able to offer higher resolution.

I don't know that it was ever removed. It was just delayed. Phil Spencer explained at the time (after last E3 when VR on Xbox was a no-show) that they had decided to "lead on PC" and that seems to be where we still are since WMR on PC really hasn't lead anywhere.

To be fair they have the best $200 headset on the market and i would say thier tracking is even better than valves solution. Until the vive pro launched the samsung odessy had the best resolution on the market with amoled screens and its a $400 solution with controllers and i believe the vive pro is over $1k . If they come out with a wireless solution for the headset I think it would be even more popular since you would have nothing to set up except the wireless adapter , but no cameras or lighthouses to set up

PSVR has brought VR to a really affordable price.
At the time it released roomscale was not available on PC yet.
For 800€ you had the complete setup PS4pro + PSVR and camera, on PC for that price you only had the headset, without cameras or the PC to run it.
So as limited as PSVR is, it was and is still an awesome value to discover and enjoy VR.
Of course it has big flaws still, and that's why we need a PSVR 2 for the PS5.
But every single person who tried my headset, even the doubters and naysayers (and i have a friend who is a big one), came back amazed.

Perhaps in your country ? Psvr hit Oct 2016 . Vive hit in august 2016 full room tracking. Rift was march 2016 seated only with an xbox one controller and touch came out in oct 2016. Yes the psvr in the states was a steal it was $400 for the base helmet and $500 I think for the move + camera + helmet bundle. Rift was $600 total and vive $800 , both of those gave room scale with the bundles. On my rift I also got about 6 free games . So the pricing was pretty close

We certainly need a psvr 2 but I wonder how sony will keep up. Half dome from oculus looks extremely advance and it seems sony went for the easiest build out of the big three companies. But everything would need to be improved , amoled screens , higher refresh rates , higher res , better tracking and so forth. If they come out with just a higher res head set and better tracking I am not sure how well it will hold up compared to what will be out on the pc at the time . I am thinking 2021 for psvr 2 however.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did read them , most report mixed success. I am sure psvr works great if I play in the dark with all windows covered over and the room painted in black.

You are hopeless. No I don't play in a room with all windows closed (unless the sun is setting down and the low angle really fills the room with light). My walls are painted white. In fact painting the walls black would make it worse, not better. But whatever rocks your boat. If you have a PSVR, why didn't you sell it as the tracking is horrible?

Regarding inside out tracking, I guess we will need cameras on the back of the headset as well to really make 360 degrees for the controllers?

You are hopeless. No I don't play in a room with all windows closed (unless the sun is setting down and the low angle really fills the room with light). My walls are painted white. In fact painting the walls black would make it worse, not better. But whatever rocks your boat. If you have a PSVR, why didn't you sell it as the tracking is horrible?

Regarding inside out tracking, I guess we will need cameras on the back of the headset as well to really make 360 degrees for the controllers?

My nephew plays with it as I don't want him using my rift set up when I am not around. We have to reset the camera often so he can play skyrim without the controllers freaking out.

As for inside out tracking , you wouldn't need cameras on the back of the headset since you wouldn't be spending much time with controlers behind your back. You would use internal sensors to account for the time they are outside of camera view. I am sure updated moves with updated hardware and not 2010 hardware would do a better job tracking. The windows headsets do a good job of tracking with their current set up but its not complete , the new Kinect stuff will help it out and I would assume they would add side cameras

Tested has a good hands on talking about the tracking

I am sure all of them are going to inside out tracking , some may stay with an external sensor or two but the ease of use is just to great

Last edited:
To be fair they have the best $200 headset on the market and i would say thier tracking is even better than valves solution.
What WMR headset costs $200? I can't find any for less than ~350€ in this side of the Atlantic.

They had a sale a few months back at that price. But yeah, normal price is not it.

The HP unit is on sale right now for $199 at the Microsoft Store. More typically they can be found selling in the vicinity of $250 (some times just above, sometimes just below). I got a Dell Visor for $240. I bought that one due to the wider FoV and because I didn't want to spend $399 on the Samsung unit given the state of the platform.

The HP unit is on sale right now for $199 at the Microsoft Store. More typically they can be found selling in the vicinity of $250 (some times just above, sometimes just below). I got a Dell Visor for $240. I bought that one due to the wider FoV and because I didn't want to spend $399 on the Samsung unit given the state of the platform.
yup , at the store and online you can get them for $200 , my friend picked up the Samsung one for $300 on sale. Just gotta keep an eye out , they are one sale almost all the time

On the topic of PSVR's tracking: it's mostly absolutely fine, but it does suffer from drifting. The Move controllers are more prone to tracking issues, but I generally find that a bit of a wiggle fixes them.

Is there any benefit to combining the current, fixed camera form of tracking with inside out?

I ask because I firmly expect PSVR2 to be wireless, which requires line of sight with a transmitter. To my mind, the most practical solution would be for the next PS camera to contain said transmitter. But then, why would they bother with inside out tracking unless it offers some benefit?

Back