Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

I assume that means it'll also be Xbox Play Anywhere?
I'm assuming anything developed solely, co-developed and/or fully published by Microsoft is now Play Anywhere. Thus far, Microsoft have delivered on this. :yes: Halo Master Chief Collection pre-dates that but I also have hope that they'll retrospectively bring this in if nothing more than fan service. Fan service has been what Xbox has been really good at under Phil Spencer's reign.

I played some H5 this weekend (game pass is back on). I hate to say it, but I think they should just retire the IP. As a FPS it is dated and boring. The aliens are not interesting or fun to fight. I have no idea what the story is about because I could not force myself through H4. Maybe you need co-op to make it palatable?

The gaming landscape has changed a lot since the early 2000s. Maybe they can pull a God of War and reinvent themselves?

I played some H5 this weekend (game pass is back on). I hate to say it, but I think they should just retire the IP. As a FPS it is dated and boring. The aliens are not interesting or fun to fight. I have no idea what the story is about because I could not force myself through H4. Maybe you need co-op to make it palatable?

The gaming landscape has changed a lot since the early 2000s. Maybe they can pull a God of War and reinvent themselves?

None of the 343i Halos can hold a candle to the Bungie Halos. Halo: Reach is so much better than Halo 4 that it's absolutely embarrassing. I still go back and play Reach from time to time (the enemy AI is SOOOOOOOOOO good). I hugely regret buying Halo 4 and didn't buy Halo 5.

Hopefully Halo 6 is where they finally learn how to make a good Halo (3rd times the charm?), but I'm not going to get my hopes up too high.

Regards,
SB

I have not played Reach, probably the only one I have not. That's not part of the Halo Master Chief collection? Or that was that PTSD?

I just don't understand the turn they went in when they went into Tron-land with the glowing neon levels and robots that come apart. Those weapons and enemies are garbage.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yup. Halo 4 was one massive metric ton of garbage and they followed on those designs for Halo 5.

The Halo IP has nearly limitless potential, but first they need to realize the need to throw out nearly everything from Halo 4 and 5. Retconning those 2 games as Cortana dreams would do them well.

Haha, so it's not just me. I like the co-op sci-fi setting, but it was taking itself a bit too seriously with 343.

I have not played Reach, probably the only one I have not. That's not part of the Halo Master Chief collection? Or that was that PTSD?

I just don't understand the turn they went in when they went into Tron-land with the glowing neon levels and robots that come apart. Those weapons and enemies are garbage.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, Halo: Reach doesn't involve the Masterchief. It follows members of his "class" of powered armor (Mjolnir in this case) equipped Spartan-II soldiers during the Fall of Reach.

Newer Spartans are weaker and less capable than Spartan-II soldiers (which are almost extinct now).

Regards,
SB

Last edited:

I'm thinking that's what they are trying to do with Infinite. Halo games typically released with 3 years in between at max. The fact it's about 3 years since Halo 5 and we are only getting what looks to be a early look at game engine demonstration tells me they were probably working on a predictable continuation and then ended up scrapping that and started on this.

The graphics overhaul is welcome and looks great imo. What I see from this is a return to a more "realism/gritty" type graphics and the colors/aesthetic reminds of Halo: Combat Evolved. Also noticed the emphasis on wildlife which should make for interesting environments.

Also as others have said... the word "Infinite" gives me the impression it will be a GaaS. Which shouldn't bee surprising as that's what Microsoft has be doing recently.

In terms of gameplay yeah...the FPS genre is super competitive and has changed a lot since the 2000's but I still think there is room for Halo if it's done right.

Now whether 343 can pull it off is another story...but I like what I see so far.

Also as others have said... the word "Infinite" gives me the impression it will be a GaaS. Which shouldn't bee surprising as that's what Microsoft has be doing recently.

Alternatively, Halo Infinite (note the lack of a number) combined with a sneak peak in the Slipstream engine that showed wide open vistas with indigenous wildlife could imply an open world game. That doesn't necessarily confirm or deny the potential for games as a service. Warframe and FFXIV are both great examples of GAAS that feature extensive storylines that evolve over time.

I'm not sure Halo as an open world game would be that great. Halo was know firstly as a great and well balanced shooter. For some of us, we also rather liked the story. I'm not sure either of those is served particularly well with an open world setting. MGS V was a decent shooter, but it wasn't a great shooter, for example. But then MGS never had a reputation of being a great shooter.

Regards,
SB

Alternatively, Halo Infinite (note the lack of a number) combined with a sneak peak in the Slipstream engine that showed wide open vistas with indigenous wildlife could imply an open world game. That doesn't necessarily confirm or deny the potential for games as a service. Warframe and FFXIV are both great examples of GAAS that feature extensive storylines that evolve over time.

I'm not sure Halo as an open world game would be that great. Halo was know firstly as a great and well balanced shooter. For some of us, we also rather liked the story. I'm not sure either of those is served particularly well with an open world setting. MGS V was a decent shooter, but it wasn't a great shooter, for example. But then MGS never had a reputation of being a great shooter.

Regards,
SB

As fan of Halo I agree with pretty much all you are saying. But I think they pretty much have to try something a bit different at this point. My gut tells me it will be Halo: Destiny. Which ironically would be a "circle of life" type thing considering the makers of Destiny.

I'm not sure if 343 will be able to pull it off but I do remember co-op mode in Halo being pretty fun. So there is some potential there.

Ecerything about that teaser screamed open world to me. Which is a good fit for halo in my opinion. The first levels of Halo 1 were a lot like micro-open worlds. With a lot of vehicular traversal in between each battle, backtracking, and changing objectives and waypoints within the same space. An open world would be the propper modern-day interpretation of THAT part of halo. In a different way, the big epic battles like the ones from Halo 3, with the big crab-like tank robots and a moderate push for physics, would fit in a Battlefield type engine, with an emphasis on scale and dynamic destruction.

Joseph Staten, ex-Bungie director of Halo CE, Halo 2 and Halo 3: ODST and creative director at Microsoft since 2014, has teamed up with Marty O'Donnell to remember the good ol' times.

ZAGDPvC.png

BKufSr0.png

Remember....

I know it isn't going to happen.

But it would be fantastic if 343i collaborated with Bungie on the next Halo game. Similar to how Avalanche Studios is collaborating with iD on Rage 2.

Regards,
SB

Might as well put this here. Few details, but Spielberg owns Amblin so I'm guessing this is the Halo TV project that was never quite dead and apparently needed a funding partner (which is now the Showtime cable network) with MS's living room TV integration push completely dead.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/06...-and-343-industries-bring-halo-to-television/

Yeah, the deal has been closely linked with Showtime since almost the beginning. It's just official now. Can't wait.

Tommy McClain

I am hoping that Halo gives up the “save the galaxy from aliens” plot (at least for now) and makes an attempt to delve into the political and military struggle between the outer and inner colonies.

Insurrectionists through espionage get a hold of Orion Project files and create their version of super soldiers. Humanity struggle against itself is a big part of the Halo universe yet is hardly explored in the games.

Meh, 343i can make nice visuals. They just have no clue how to make compelling gameplay.

Unless Joe Staten and Marty O'Donnell are involved, I don't have much hope that Infinite will be any different than H4 or H5.

Damn, I've become a cynical SOB.

I am hoping that Halo gives up the “save the galaxy from aliens” plot (at least for now) and makes an attempt to delve into the political and military struggle between the outer and inner colonies.

Insurrectionists through espionage get a hold of Orion Project files and create their version of super soldiers. Humanity struggle against itself is a big part of the Halo universe yet is hardly explored in the games.

Holy hell that sounds horrific. The last thing Sci-Fi needs in general, especially from Halo, is more political and societal commentary. Make an interesting story about defending against alien attack with cool visuals.

I wouldn't want it to be any more political than Red vs Blue, and it shouldn't have to be to get an audience.

Back