No VR for XBox One X

This shouldn't be a surprise, MS wasn't prepared to compete in that field.

Sony, Oculus, and HTC Vive, worked on their respective project for many many year, with games and near-final headsets playable at E3 over two years before launch.

PSVR have a long list of PS4 and Pro specific optimization, they used everything possible to balance the headset with the console's resources. Including fp16 resolve on pro, RGB panel allowing a slightly lower render target than pentile, 120fps temporal tricks (which doesn't work well at 90/45), compatibility with existing camera owners, launch PS4 controller being tracked, Move controller keeing the cost reasonable. A console VR is not easy, you can't just plug a PC headset and hope devs will figure out how to deal with the weak cpu and higher render target.

MS promised scorpio will have high-end VR, even hinted it would be wireless, and made it look like scorpio would have longevity beyond generations.

"The first and only console to enable true 4K gaming and high-fidelity virtual reality."

There's no more spin left to defend that sales pitch.

Indeed, there's plenty of scope for inside-out tracking to make a significant difference. However, there's no such thing on XBox One. The pros and cons of tracking solutions is a discussion for another thread. With the WMR headsets out, are there reviews of these headsets to see how they perform at different price-points? And that's a hypothetical question in this thread - discussion of WMR solutions needs its own discussion. ;)

This shouldn't be a surprise, MS wasn't prepared to compete in that field.

Sony, Oculus, and HTC Vive, worked on their respective project for many many year, with games and near-final headsets playable at E3 over two years before launch.

PSVR have a long list of PS4 and Pro specific optimization, they used everything possible to balance the headset with the console's resources. Including fp16 resolve on pro, RGB panel allowing a slightly lower render target than pentile, 120fps temporal tricks (which doesn't work well at 90/45), compatibility with existing camera owners, launch PS4 controller being tracked, Move controller keeing the cost reasonable. A console VR is not easy, you can't just plug a PC headset and hope devs will figure out how to deal with the weak cpu and higher render target.

MS promised scorpio will have high-end VR, even hinted it would be wireless, and made it look like scorpio would have longevity beyond generations.

"The first and only console to enable true 4K gaming and high-fidelity virtual reality."

There's no more spin left to defend that sales pitch.
to be fair they backed out completely from that concept before the pre-orders opened.
Not going to fault them here. It's a lesson they learned from Kinect. They couldn't get a console selling piece of software to go with that hardware when it was first released, they had no business pushing that concept further into next-gen with still no system selling piece of software.

The same goes with VR.

I've no real beef with them changing their minds, but did MS communicate the change of direction before XB1X went on sale?

Was it promised when x1x went on sale? I only remember it mentioned in passing well before but I cannot say I followed that closely.

MrFox quoted MS directly claiming as much. This article from the 10th of March says that comes from an XBox store listing. So it was a sales feature at that point.

A console VR is not easy, you can't just plug a PC headset and hope devs will figure out how to deal with the weak cpu and higher render target.
The CPU is faster than the PS4's, and the GPU significantly better in every way. I don't see an obvious hardware problem with supporting WMR headsets and PSVR-ports. The limitations to me are businessy, based on cost to implement versus likely returns.

Was it promised when x1x went on sale? I only remember it mentioned in passing well before but I cannot say I followed that closely.
It was mentioned that it would be capable for VR. But most of it was mentioned without any real plan. By the times pre-orders opened in August or whatever day it was, VR was already removed. There was a bit of a flare up about their VR mission abort at that time IIRC.

It was mentioned that it would be capable for VR. But most of it was mentioned without any real plan. By the times pre-orders opened in August or whatever day it was, VR was already removed. There was a bit of a flare up about their VR mission abort at that time IIRC.

I don't know that it was ever removed. It was just delayed. Phil Spencer explained at the time (after last E3 when VR on Xbox was a no-show) that they had decided to "lead on PC" and that seems to be where we still are since WMR on PC really hasn't lead anywhere.

Back