CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

true but look at them you've basically only got a few months at most before they dont even break even over the electricity costs, where you're left with a totally worseless piece of hardware (perhaps you can get a few cents selling it for scrap metal)
I guess ppl are buying them and hoping like hell McCafee doesnt have to eat his penis in a couple years time

That explains why even the top most profitable asic rig is running a "buy one, get one free" deal, just spend $10K and you get 2 of the A9 units. Even at that, it will take 2 months to break even, assuming current rates and values. I suspect the hard-fork will hit before the 2 months time period, to make the unit meaningless. :LOL:

http://www.innosilicon.com/html/a9-miner/index.html

Innosilicon Equihash A9 ZMaster
Buy now! 1.737487 BTC ( or 9999 USD; 134.302 LTC )
Buy One Get One free Special Promotion Ending Soon.
The World Most Powerful & Profitable Miner - A9 Equihash Zmaster Limited Stock, Last Offer.
Buy Now! From 22nd June to 28th June, Buy One and Get One free (also applying to all regular customers who paid before). Last Promotion, Price goes back right after!
One A9 shipping right away for instant gain, another free A9 shipping before 5th July.
What are you waiting for? Do not miss out the best mining period with little competition.

I only have one machine mining, which is my main PC. I'm sill mining ETH on my 2 1070's. temps are ok (40deg for the top card on water and 68deg for the other) even on these hot (for the UK) days and it's pretty quiet. One machine doesn't cost much to run and It would be on much of the time anyway running media servers etc. I doubt there is any "profit" in it at the moment, but I cashed out the price of the hardware ASAP then took some profit. I've only got about 1.5ETH so just seeing what happens to that in the longer term. If the difficulty gets much harder I'll stop soon, it's currently taking about 2months to make 0.2ETH.

Hi,

Sorry for the very newbish question, but are there any popular cryptocurrencies that can be mined more or less profitably on a GPU, and happen to run on old NVIDIA hardware? I.e., Fermi, specifically? Note that I'm not asking about currencies that can be mined profitably with Fermi, I'm asking about currencies that can be mined profitably with Pascal/Volta, but can also be mined on Fermi, even at a substantial loss.

Hi,

Sorry for the very newbish question, but are there any popular cryptocurrencies that can be mined more or less profitably on a GPU, and happen to run on old NVIDIA hardware? I.e., Fermi, specifically? Note that I'm not asking about currencies that can be mined profitably with Fermi, I'm asking about currencies that can be mined profitably with Pascal/Volta, but can also be mined on Fermi, even at a substantial loss.
Looking at it the other way around, I don't know of any crypto with CUDA hashing that can't be mined with Fermi cards..

Looking at it the other way around, I don't know of any crypto with CUDA hashing that can't be mined with Fermi cards..

Sorry, I should have worded that better: I'm looking for mining software that will run on CUDA 4.0 (or older, I guess). Ethminer, for example, doesn't seem to recognise CUDA devices with such an old version. So unless that's a bug or I'm doing something wrong, it must require a newer version of CUDA. I can't seem to find any information online about this, though.

Sorry, I should have worded that better: I'm looking for mining software that will run on CUDA 4.0 (or older, I guess). Ethminer, for example, doesn't seem to recognise CUDA devices with such an old version. So unless that's a bug or I'm doing something wrong, it must require a newer version of CUDA. I can't seem to find any information online about this, though.
Well the only thing I mined with a nvidia GPU was monero with a Kepler card on XMR-Stak so I can't help you with tutorials and such, but CCminer seems to support Fermi cards and it mines pretty much everything.

Well the only thing I mined with a nvidia GPU was monero with a Kepler card on XMR-Stak so I can't help you with tutorials and such, but CCminer seems to support Fermi cards and it mines pretty much everything.

Yep, but unfortunately all available versions seem to use CUDA 6.5 or newer, and lack Linux support. :( I suppose I could try recompiling it for CUDA 4.0, who knows? But I'd rather have something that works out of the box.

Compute capability 2.0 (Fermi) was supported at least as late as CUDA 8. So the SDK shouldn't be an issue. But it's up to developers whether they want to actually have a path for something that old.

I guess, but I'm using GPGPU-Sim, which simulates Fermi (or Tesla), and it's all CUDA 4.0… :-/
Ahh. So your problem isn't the hardware per-se. Your problem is essentially the drivers; you don't have a runtime that can handle anything newer than CUDA 4.

The odds are pretty good you'll be out of luck then on pre-compiled binaries. There's no reason anyone would target CUDA 4 for projects started in the last 6 years, as even the original Tesla products were supported up to CUDA 6.5. So you'll have to try compiling it on your own.

Fidelity launches new company for trading and storing cryptocurrencies
Fidelity Investments has launched a new company for its institutional clients that will trade and store digital assets such as bitcoin, the asset manager said on Monday.
Fidelity Digital Assets, which has an 100-strong staff, is led by Tom Jessop, who was formerly president at tech startup Chain and a managing director at Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS.N).

“Someone like Fidelity coming into this market we think will have a positive effect on the whole market,” Jessop said in an interview.

Fidelity, one of the world’s largest investment managers with more than $7.2 trillion of assets under management, currently serves more than 13,000 institutions.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ters/technologyNews+(Reuters+Technology+News)

Bitcoin has lost 40 percent of its value in the last two weeks
November 25, 2018
Bitcoin is in the middle of an astounding price drop, reaching prices as low as $3,520 in recent days and wiping out all gains from coins purchased this year. As of press time, the price was hovering around $3,900, a roughly 40 percent drop from two weeks ago. The result is the worst price drop since April 2013, refreshing old doubts about the soundness of bitcoin as an investment vehicle.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/25...percent-of-value-november-2018-cryptocurrency

Yeah, I need to get around to selling my cards. I took all my stuff offline a couple months ago and have about six 580s and eight 1070s I need to sell.

Back